1/6 Cosmo AMPS 133, +1 +2 166, +4 194, +6 175, +8 166, PMPS 353

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by thebigfuzz, Jan 6, 2021.

1. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-5-cosmo-amps-362-2-319-4-277-6-268-9-229-pmps-268.241062/

Cosmo decided to go surfing overnight beginning around 3am. Nice to see 3.25 working for him again :cool: We didn’t feed any HC, just made sure he ate his snacks of regular MC.

+6 153
    +8 101
    +9 83
    +9.5 79
    +10 77
    +11 110

Now, technically, he earned a reduction. I had asked this question a few days ago, but I’d like to have Cosmo earn it more than once. (Under 90) Any objections or Concerns?

KittenTheCat and Marj & Djoko like this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Nice cycle. While waiting for three under 90 or taking reductions at a slightly lower number is not part of the SLGS you and DH do test a lot and are able to keep Cosmo safe. I think I would try it. This advice is only for Cosmo given that he must eat some dry food due to other health issues. Any lurkers please do not copy this dosing advice. It is only for Cosmo.
    Tanya, get some more opinions before deciding. I know modifications to SLGS are frowned upon and I might be wrong.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  3. thebigfuzz

Gave full 3.25 dose. I am off for the next 2 days.

@tiffmaxee I feel the same. I am not looking at multiple drops under 50 or anything, but 70’s are safe greens.

4. tiffmaxee

I have seen a few who say they take reductions under 70 with SLGS in their signature but they are long term diabetics. Max was doing TR but not at first. There was a more relaxed version at the time. I forgot all about that until someone mentioned it and then a Google search confirmed it. I’m not sure why it was dropped. In thinking about it I don’t think I followed any method at first. I listened to my vet. I remember Wendy and Julie congratulating me on reductions and not even knowing one was earned. Max didn’t hold them so I started shaving the dose and 3 under 50 before he was a year diabetic but again by then I was following TR and he wasn’t eating any dry food.
    I hope this helps Cosmo gain better control. :bighug:

thebigfuzz likes this.
  5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing. I think you test enough you can keep Cosmo safe if you don't take the reduction. I do a modified SLGS and reduce for Furball when she goes under 60.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  6. tiffmaxee

I knew one person who modified was you Carla. Do you feed any dry food?

7. thebigfuzz

I hope so too! We would like to see him surfing more blues and greens more often. Cosmo began coasting in pinks and reds at 3.0 units just a few days ago.

A few days ago I had asked the question to @Marje and Gracie but I think she thought we were thinking multiple drops under 50.

8. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't feed dry food.

9. tiffmaxee

There isn’t any such thing as three drops under any number with SLGS but I know people have lowered the reduction number to 70 or 60. Let’s see more opinions but if Cosmo were my cat I would be up for thinking outside the box.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  10. thebigfuzz

That is what we are thinking and looking for some out of the box things to try.

11. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sorry that I wasn’t more clear. I was making an analogy for TR but I didn’t mean you were considering three drops between 40-50 before reducing. I meant we do not use the three drops below any number for SLGS...not even 90 which is the usual reduction number.

I am really swamped today but will try to spend some time on his SS tonight and see what we can suggest.

thebigfuzz and tiffmaxee like this.
  12. tiffmaxee

Can you find another food and ditch the dry food? There have to be gastro foods that are canned I would think. It’s too risking to do under 90 from what I have heard from Wendy and Marje.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  13. thebigfuzz

We received the nutriscan test kit just now! We want to test any food sensitivities he may have, so we can select the best new food for him :) Should be a few weeks for the results. I don’t want to give him something that will cause an allergy flare or GI issues. We do have gastro wet, but it’s 29% :eek: And Cosmo has an allergy to something in it. He gets itchy and overgrooms.

I would think that if we can eliminate the MC (13%), his numbers should come down. The dry is what has kept his BMs regular, soft and good.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  14. tiffmaxee

It’s tough balancing these two issues just like trying kidney disease and diabetes. :bighug:
    Let me know f it’s hard to get the sample.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  15. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Nice cycle for Cosmo :bighug::bighug::bighug: So glad he found his map back to the lagoon! I'm sure you'll figure out a plan for him and hope the nutriscan test helps :cat:

thebigfuzz likes this.
  16. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

"Relaxed" was following a non documented method that was more or less SLGS. SLGS was then documented for Lantus specifically for that group. Then the two Lantus groups were combined as it didn't make sense to have separate ones for the same insulin.
    What would you do if one of those drops went under 50? Even the TR method, which you cannot follow, has a part that says "3 drops under 50 or one drop under 40". I always go back to Libby's wise words on why we don't mix and match the two dosing methods.

thebigfuzz likes this.
  17. thebigfuzz

I would reduce by 0.25 for any drop under 50.

If you suggest we take the reduction tonight, then maybe we can call his 3.25 shot this morning ‘shooting through a bounce” ;)

18. thebigfuzz

That is quite a thread!

A lot to digest. @Wendy&Neko So when Libby says:

It seems acceptable, where warranted and supported carefully by data, strict safety, and experience, that there is flexibility in it? Am I reading that right? There is obviously a ton of other information and debate in the thread too.

19. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Yes, there is some flexibility to make some changes to SLGS for your cat, once you know his onset, nadir, duration and reaction to carbs. I would make changes slowly, not introduce a bunch at once. And I wouldn't make any changes if you are changes his food/carbs fed at the same time.

If you would reduce below 50, does that mean keeping the dose if he's between 50 and 60? My questions are for you to think about how low he can safely go without doing a reduction. Most people following SLGS who make modifications to the reduction point, still reduce below 60 or 70. What makes sense for Cosmo? Have you ever had times when you've had a hard time bringing his numbers up? Are there ever times when he's not hungry and doesn't feel like eating?

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  20. thebigfuzz

Great questions.

I think we would take the reduction below 70.

10/19- we had trouble getting his numbers up and took lots of HC, 2 rounds of gravy. Bounce breaking cycle.
    11/14- was ok and came up after 2 tsp gravy added.
    11/15- came up with honey
    12/24- a little stubborn. Bounce breaking cycle.
    1/5 - only MC given.

It has been somewhat difficult with cycles with greater momentum. He has never refused food as of yet. It can take him a little longer (1-1.5 hrs to rise depending on downward momentum, and hard to tell how much food he needs since the food kicks in later).