? 1/6 Chicamonkey AMPS 387/PMPS 425/+2 397/+4 360

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

I don’t know how to say this so I’m just going to rip the band aid off and accept the hazing that follows.

I tealized last night I have been underdosing monkey. Reading the lines wrong on the insulin syringes.
    Yes I know, I’m a nurse but, monkey is my very first diabetic patient.

so, now that I know this, she’s right now just receiving 2 units -not 3.
    I’m embarrassed and also relieved.
    How do I notate this on my spreadsheet to accurately reflect her dose without other pro’s wondering what the heck happened.

I listed her morning dose as 2 but to those looking at the ss, it looks like I dropped her dose when it’s actually the correct dose.

advice? Be gentle, I’m sensitive :)
    Thank you

yesterday’s
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...489-2-488-pmps-312-4-311.241024/#post-2712984

JOJI and Kit likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Suzi, we don't haze here! If it's any consolation, I once shot Bandit 4 units instead of 2! I was using a new brand of syringes and I didn't realize that each mark was 2 units and not 1. That's worse than under-dosing!
    Rest assured, we have all scr*w*d-up here at some point or the other! :)

So do you know from when you have been dosing Monkey incorrectly? If yes, could you correct the doses on the SS to the actual doses given?
    We can take a dosing call accordingly.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  3. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I’m so embarrassed.... I got a pair of magnifying glasses with LED lights as a Christmas gift and just started using them last night.
    When I looked closely I doubted myself then started looking for posts on 30 unit syringes..
    I found some photos and realized I was under dosing the entire time.
    so, I’ll have my hands full correcting the ss.

also .... of note ...
    Monkey pooped outside the box for the first time ever last night.
    I’m going to chalk it up to a random experience.... but so strange.

4. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

If you can just correct the dosing for the last week to begin with, that would be a big help.

Did you see her pooping? The reason is ask is, I've seen Bandit "sit" to poop close to the edge of the LB and her "aim" is off and she ends up pooping outside the box. :rolleyes:

5. Suzi and Chicamonkey

No I didn’t, she pooped at the other end of the house ... way far away from the box

6. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

You don't have to be embarrassed. You aren't the first person on here and certainly won't be the last to read the lines wrong:). Even though you're a nurse, this diabetes thing is new to you, too. It's a completely understandable mistake in my opinion.

I don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this to you, but another option for dosing is to measure your doses using digital calipers like these ones. Marje made this post and video to teach us: How-to dose with digital calipers. With this method, rather than measuring doses to the lines you literally use the calipers to measure the doses (measurements in mm). If you're interested, have a read through of that thread.
    I hardly ever look at the lines anymore. Only to do an occasional gut check.

Have a great day!

7. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

in the category of "tmi"
    sometimes kit has a "poop and hang" which means we find poop in unexpected places when the dangler becomes unhinged.
    first times this happened we thought she was finding new places to poop, but then we saw her in action.
    so, it's not impossible to poop in the box and well, deposit the poop in another location. :rolleyes:

8. Suzi and Chicamonkey

An you send me a photo of it?
    The link just opens to harbor freights main page

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I could tell you worse stories about syringe reading mistakes. A vet Neko saw told me a story of his soon to be ex vet tech showing pet parents how to shoot 2 units, but instead showed them how to shoot 20. :eek: It wasn't until weeks later when they said they were almost out of the vial that he figured out what the problem was. Thankfully (?) kitty ended up having acromegaly and OK with the larger dose. You "erred" on the side of caution.

Just put a new blank row in the spreadsheet, and put something on the line like "dose is the same, but changing what you call it". Otherwise it looks like you took an unwarranted reduction.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  10. Suzi and Chicamonkey