1/6 Baby Dosage Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Nicole & Baby, Jan 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I will begin Baby on Lantus tomorrow morning (I guess I could do it tonight too?) I am home all day & will be for the next few days.
    I will be learning to inject Insulin by watching videos online provided by FDMB. I have the Lantus in my refrigerator (got it in December) & they correct syringes with .5 markings.
    Should I start her out on that? Or can I start lower? Not sure what or how to do it, but will learn for my furbaby... :?:

2. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole, When you switched to Wellness was that a switch from dry food?

3. Nicole & Baby

Yes...she was a dry food only all the time with snacks, etc. Never a weight issue - so free fed.
    We have experiemented with canned/raw since diagnosis. This past week has been Wellness & Nature's Variety Raw Rabbit.

4. Lindyloo

Lindyloo Member

Im surprised that Baby's numbers didnt drop more once off the dry food. Are you feeding only the grain-free flavors?

5. Nicole & Baby

I thought she had dropped quite a bit after removing dry food, she has dropped nearly 250 points since canned only. Diagnosis BG was 497 & although we have got done to double digits & in the 100s, she surfs the 200s. Not sure what to start her at.

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

I went back to ur thread from yesterday, and there are some suggestions it here about where to start.

But I just wanna add, would u be able to get a couple of spot checks tonight after her dinner, like couple hours after, and then a before bedtime check, update ur SS with those #'s and post again here if u can....in the meantime, keep asking any more questions and concerns u have before starting insulin ok?

Have u read all the stickies up above? If and when u start insulin, u will have one thread per day for Baby, that's called ur condo, all replies and ur post go in there for each day, each new day u will need to link the previous day's thread.

If you've already read them, just go thru again, refresh yourself and ask ask ask anything ur not sure about!
    :)

7. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

Have you decided to start insulin tonight or tomorrow morning? I like your idea of .5u.

8. Nicole & Baby

Ronnie, I will.... thank you for your suggestions..

D & Noisy..will start tomorrow.... she has been hanging in the 200s, which I feel blessed that she is not higher.. just want her lower....but safely as you all already knwo

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I also agree with 0.5 units BID. Welcome to LL!

10. Nicole & Baby

She is grazing...how to accurately test? Like Ronnie's idea..but I dont think she will go 2 hours without food.....she eats in the evenings...she is playing right now...always very active...

11. Ronnie & Luna

opps, I think u misunderstood me, no worries, what I meant was, tonight test her a couple hours after she eats, no need to take food away, and then right before u go to bed, if that is an hour or two after the last test, that will give us more numbers to work with. Plus it will be the last spotchecks we will see how she is on just the food change alone for the evening. That doesn't mean she will be on insulin forever ok? - so remain calm lol cat_pet_icon

this is just so we see a bit more evening tests - eventually when u begin insulin, you'll want to get into the habit of evening spotchecks, some cats go a bit lower in the evening cycles, so those tests will be important to see how she is doing on insulin.

one of the stickies up top : New to the Group...has a guideline of a curve and how ur cat is responding to insulin, please have a look at it, print it out if u can, this will guide u for those tests times. If u work during the day, for example, you'll want to grab a test before u head out the door, and then for the evening, those other testing times will be important since there may not be any checks during the day cycle.

12. Nicole & Baby

Ronnie.....you are too kind. Thank you.
    I do see some doing curves...but during work days.. I just cant...how do I get this done?
    I can shoot, stay home an hour & then get back 8 hours later...but I will admit now..I cannot do +2 + 5 +7, etc. HELP PLEASE ohmygod_smile

13. Ronnie & Luna

As they say, we all have lives, jobs to go to etc...thats ok! This is what weekends and days off are for!
    Nicole....breath lol, its gonna be A-ok! When u leave for work, u just make sure she has plenty of food available to her...when ur home in the evenings, like I mentioned, u can get those spotchecks in...on days off and weekends and holidays, u can get the daytime numbers...it'll be ok, allright? flip_cat

14. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

Hi Nicole! Welcome to LL!

I work out of the house during the week, too, and am too far away to get any spot tests. So, I do a lot of my spot testing on the weekends and at night. I've found that I don't even need an alarm clock anymore! I get one or two tests before bed, and then usually get a sleepus test somewhere between PM +4 and PM +6, depending on what the number was before bed. Then, I get up every morning to get a +9.5. That data, supplemented by spot tests over the weekend, has provided me wth a lot of good data.

Sounds like you're already getting the hang of this! Great going! :smile:

15. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

no need to worry! I too work out of the house during the week, and also cannot do spot checks during the day... I have managed to check pmps when Mannie eats and gets his injection, plus a +2, and a +6, some +9 when sleep escapes me. we are back at it first thing when i get up, and then an amps +1 before I go to work. over the weekend we get alot more tests done, and still, with a somewhat erratic schedule, have gotten great data.

You're doing great! Breathe - it will be ok. You remind me of myself when I first started testing with Mannie - so nervous that i would mess this all up. I think you are really on top of things - better than me - it took another board member (thank you chris!!) to get me to home test: we had been shooting blind for a year, been through 2 hypo episodes, etc etc etc. SO - KUDOS TO YOU! relax - there are really great people here to help you. Good luck to you and Baby! cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.