? 1/21 Pearl AMPS 342, +2 264, +4 252 - Constipation Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Margaret (and Pearl), Jan 21, 2021.

1. Margaret (and Pearl)

Margaret (and Pearl) Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!

Well I think I did it - I finally stopped a drop! I mean, there was still a drop, but I stopped FURTHER dropping!

QUESTION: I have noticed that Pearl seems to be pretty constipated. The past 2 days she has had a decrease in poop, some small and fat logs. Today she strained in the box 10 times with no actual poop. SO!! I administered sub q fluids (approx 85ml) and gave 1.5tsp pumpkin. She finally DID have some poop, a couple short and fat logs. She then stopped going in the box and straining, and settled down to eat some food.

I have recently read that constipation goes with FD for some cats. So I think I need to be more vigilant watching for dehydration - I check her gums daily, but maybe I need to start adding in sub q every other day no matter what? I have noticed that Pearl seems to dehydrate pretty quickly.

Does anyone have advice about the constipation? I get nervous about knowing when I would need to take her to the vet for an enema. If she had some poop today, does that mean no vet visit needed at this point?

Link to yesterday's post: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/1-20-pearl-amps-304-1-5-304-2-223.241793/#post-2724323

thebigfuzz likes this.
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Margaret (and Pearl) likes this.
  3. Adrienne & Molly (GA)

Adrienne & Molly (GA) Well-Known Member

I think you're good and won't need to take her to the vet today. Molly get's constipated and I just put more water mixed in her moist food. I also give her a furball treatment found fur in her poop :facepalm:. I'd monitor her if she goes more than two day without a poop, I'd be concerned. I see she has asthma too so does my Miss. Molly

4. Scdal

Scdal Member

My cat had the same problem along with an episode of pancreatititis. After numerous trials and errors, I tried the ground raw beef pancreas. I order this from My Pet Carnivore. I tried several other companies that were cheaper and formed the pancreas into patties. They didn't work. The raw pancreas does the work that your cat's pancreas has stopped doing. It digests your cat's food and is part of the reason for the constipation and the diabetes. The shipping is expensive but it has been well worth it. Usually, your cat will not eat it at first. It is bitter tasting from what I have been told. It has to be fed raw. I roll about a teaspoon amount into a ball and pop it into his mouth. I tip his head back a little so he will swallow it. I follow with a treat. The 1 lb. container will last you over a week. I divide it into 2 sections and keep the other half in the freezer until I need it.

Do not try the powdered pancreas. This stuff should be taken off the market. Phoenix ended up in the emergency room for 4 days with a burned esophagus even though I followed the directions. There is no concern with the raw pancreas. Phoenix has been on the raw pancreas for about 6 months. He now has a regular bowel movement every day. Before taking the raw pancreas, he would poop about once every 3 days. His poop would be rock hard. Now, it is completely normal.

5. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

You are right, hydration levels are really important to help prevent constipation. Diabetic cats, even more, because much of their water is used to try and flush extra glucose from their systems (ie. peeing lakes). The sub q fluids should help and pumpkin can be helpful, though I have never tried it.

Cosmo has megacolon and so our take action number is sooner at 36 hours without a BM. We have some lactulose on hand to administer if he has an episode, at home cat enemas, fluids, etc. It is quite an ordeal :confused: Once we started him on a new diet, he has had daily, regular BMs for months now :)

I’d say 48 hrs, but some cats on high protein diets/raw tend to go every few days naturally. If Pearl is straining severely, that timeline might be sooner. Miralax is often used to temporarily help soften the stool (1/4 tsp), but requires extra water to be given at the same time (2 tsp). Pumpkin sounds like a better alternative to Miralax, in my opinion. Psyllium fiber can also be sprinkled on the food (a very small pinch), to keep things regular.

Again, you are on the right track with hydration as the most important part and the first place to start.

6. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Hi Margaret, Up until yesterday, Ruby had a great pooping streak going on, being regular every day for a while after starting her on probiotics (Jarrow's S. Boulardii with MOS) and powdered egg yolk. I did have her on Miralax but was concerned about using it long term. I also recently started her on B12 because that's supposed to help with constipation as well as a whole host of other issues.

7. Margaret (and Pearl)

8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

On this forum, if you are following TR, we suggesting posting for help if you see a preshot under 150. Over that, you are good to shoot. Every time you shoot lower numbers than you are used to, it's a good idea to get a +1 and a a+2.

I'm going to combine this post with your previous one of the day. We ask for just one post per day, and change the subject line as new issues arise.

9. Margaret (and Pearl)

Awesome, I didn't realize the cut off was 150!! And yes will do the +1 and +2! Noted about the posts, Thanks Wendy!!

10. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

It looks like you’ve been doing a great job of getting Pearl flatter! You can see once you do that, you can raise the dose, if needed. Great job!

I wouldn’t think the FD has anything to do with constipation. It’s usually more related to diet. Although my cats are on a balanced raw diet and have no pooping issues, I also give them powdered egg yolk from Food Fur Life. A little bit of raw egg yolk....about 1/8 tsp...can help with constipation but I think just being consistent with the egg yolk powder is better.

Pancreatic enzymes should never be given to a cat unless it has been diagnosed with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency via the specific tests through Texas A&M University. They should never, ever be given for pancreatitis because they are so caustic. Digestive enzymes are safe.....pancreatic enzymes are not unless the kitty has EPI and then there is a very specific method for giving them.