1/16 Taz, AMPS-255, +5-109, PMPS-243

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by SaraMV, Jan 16, 2022.

1. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I thought I had read on here that when doing SLGS, you should increase by .25 rather than .5m? Just looking for clarification.

2. Chris and Checkers

Chris and Checkers Well-Known Member

SaraMV likes this.
  3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

• If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

SaraMV likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

We recommend .25 unit increases and decreases if following SLGS. Did you get the half unit syringes?

SaraMV likes this.
  5. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I ordered some today and they should be here on Thursday. He's been holding steady (flat?) in yellows, so I know I'll need to increase him. I can't do a curve until next Saturday, which will be 9 days on 1 unit. I know you're supposed to do it after 7 days, but I'll be back to work on Tuesday and won't be able to check him regularly until the weekend.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

Thank you! This is really helpful.

7. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

He isn't being given pain meds constantly anymore (for pancreatitis) and he acts like his old self before eating. But once he eats, he swishes his tail and sits meatloaf style sometimes. Does it sound like he's still hurting? Or is this normal with diabetes after a meal?

He also seems hungrier now that he's on insulin, than he was before getting diagnosed. But he's drinking less now than he was before.

He's also started having pudding poop since last Wednesday. I thought it was from being on an antibiotic, cerenia, an anti-acid, and bupe, but he's finished all of those. Does Lantus loosen the stools?

8. Suzanne & Darcy

The meatloafing after the meal does not seem right. After his meal he should probably do something like race around the house (the reaction of a couple of my cats) or give himself a nice bath(the reaction of several others.)

how long has he been off of the antibiotics? His intestinal Flora may be out of balance nd he may need some probiotics to help get things settled back down. Also some slippery elm bark may help.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

… or just some good old Pro-Pectalin gel for a few days? An excellent probiotic for quick turnaround (unless there’s something more serious going) is BeneBac Plus gel mixed in some food for a couple of days then a week later.

10. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

He always bathes after eating. He just seems like he's hurting a bit. The last day for antibiotics, anti-acids, and consistent pain medication was last Thursday. Cerenia and pain medication are supposed to be given as needed but the vet switched him over to gabapentin and after giving him a dose last night (and him walking drunkenly afterward), I'm not liking that one so much. I'm sure he still feels the pancreatitis a bit (he was diagnosed with a moderate case two weeks ago tomorrow). You can tell sometimes that he's laying down gingerly, other times he plops down like normal. We were told that it could take 3 to 4 weeks for him to fully recover from it. Yesterday was the first day that he has been able to eat a normal ration at meal time.

11. Katherine&Ruby

Remember that we look at how low a dose takes a cat. We don't want to increase if you have nadirs between 90 and 149 like he gave you at +5 today. We'll see where he is in a few days, but while you are working is there a possibility you can get one mid-cycle test in the AM and in the PM? Or mostly just at night?

12. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

I should be able to take a +5 and anything after it during the day. I'll be at work for all reading times before then.

Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

So it seems like he’s making progress! That’s good. With regard to Gabapentin, feel free to reduce that dose. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard of cats having this reaction to Gabapentin. It seems some cats are very sensitive to it. Why not Buprenorphine?

14. Katherine&Ruby

Then you might be able to increase or decrease after 7 days if you have enough data to see where the dose is taking Taz. +2 and +3 tests will be a helpful indicator of where he might be headed in a cycle, so I would try to do those at night if you are home.

15. Suzanne & Darcy

Which antibiotic was Taz taking? It’s only been a few days so hopefully things will firm up.

16. SaraMV

SaraMV Member

Thankfully I only gave him 1ml instead of the 1.5ml they said to give. I'm not sure why the vet wanted to change him. I'll try to call and ask tomorrow, if they're open.

I was surpised by his +5. He ate a snack about 20 minutes before it. It's been about 45 minutes and we had to leave the house. I pray he doesn't dip much more because we won't be home to catch it. I've been watching some of the numbers from other forum members and I swear this stress will end up being the death of me.

He was on Amoxiclav.

17. Katherine&Ruby

I would think of it the other way--there are plenty of cats here who stay low and stay safe. Look at the spreadsheet of Henry (these are human meter numbers): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FBwSzVCGmfP5ttHjJ4whWslZE/edit#gid=1324328458 . No drama there!

The more you can get your cat in low blues and high greens, the better he will feel, with all other variables remaining constant of course. It will take some time for him and for you, to get more used to it.

SaraMV and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  18. Suzanne & Darcy

I am not surprised at the soft stool. In fact with Clavamox (Amoxiclav) I an surprised that he didn’t have diarrhea while he was on it (and/or loss of appetite/vomiting.). Get some probiotics. It should clear up quickly though.

SaraMV likes this.