1/16 Kitty Cat AMPS 62, +2 43, +3 48, +5 70 +9, PMPS 164

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Christina & Kitty Cat, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Christina & Kitty Cat

Christina & Kitty Cat Member

Happy new year friends and fur friends! Long time no post. I hope you are all doing well, staying safe and healthy.

previous post

I've been playing around with Kitty Cat's does this past week and could use some thoughts. He was getting a lot of greens and dipped below 50 a few times. There were some nights I just couldn't stay up late so I reduced to a skinny 1.75u on 1/10. Still low greens late at night so I went for 1.5u but then he was bouncing and I got nervous since he didn't technically earn a reduction. I went back to the skinny 1.75u, but I feel like I'm going to have a hard time keeping him above 50 like this.

Do you think it's okay to try the 1.5u for a few days?

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I see he’s gone lime today. Surely that is an earned reduction. I hope you are actively feeding and testing him now since those low numbers are nothing to mess around with.

Christina & Kitty Cat likes this.
  3. Christina & Kitty Cat

Yes! I've been feeding him fancy feast gravy whenever he's below 50. He's at 70 now. I say it wasn't earned because he's been diabetic over a year now and it seems the general rule is once below 40 is a reduction.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

Well 43 is close enough for me! There’s 20 percent meter variance. Anyway you fed him at 43 right? So how do you know how low he would have gone without your intervention with the FF gravy!

5. Suzanne & Darcy

I see that he is very bouncy though so I understand your anxiety!

6. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi Christina :bighug: Happy new year! Hope you and Kitty Cat have been doing okay ❤️

Personally, I agree he hasn't earned a reduction on this dose per TR (Jax hit 50 a few times in his sugar dance but I never reduced until he went below...so same in your case but at 40 for long-term-diabetic).

With that said, you just have to decide what you want to do to keep Kitty Cat safe and you sane :p I think you could reduce if you needed some breathing room (you can always go back up). Perhaps @tiffmaxee can stop by the next time she's on to weigh in :cat:

Hugs to you :bighug:

7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

He’s a long term diabetic so lime is not necessarily a reduction. I am going to look and your ss and will be back.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

When you get a Bg test in the 40’s you need to test again in 20-30 minutes. It looks like you have waited two hours. In that time he could have gone under 40 easily and had a symptomatic hypo even. . It’s dangerous. I think you need to take a reduction to 1.5 and regroup. Sorry for being so blunt but you just can’t get complacent. Far better to reduce prematurely. Remember better some days too high than too low. :bighug:

9. Christina & Kitty Cat

Thank you Elise! I appreciate the bluntness. I need to be better about remembering to test sooner. It's mostly me losing track of time but I understand it's dangerous for him and I would hate for something bad to happen that could've been prevented. I shot 1.5u just now.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Suzanne & Darcy

Oh, I know the “rules.” Just don’t like seeing limes and he has had several of them recently. Everyone has to make their own decisions about their tolerance for limes.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

I always set a noisy, repeating alarm for 20 (or30) minutes to remind me to test again.