1/13/21 - Squeaky! AMPS = 94 -+4=92 +7=75 PMPS=120

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan D & Squeaky, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Jan D & Squeaky

Jan D & Squeaky Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...269-amps-233-6-238-pmps-96.241393/#navigation

What did the cats do when they realized they had a bad plan? They decided to (cat)nip it in the bud.

Well Squeaky seems to be doing well in the evenings, but feeling poorly in the mornings. He keeps me on my toes always throwing something new at me. So he wasn't doing well this morning. I don't know what might be wrong with him that is manifesting like that.

Also we had been doing better at pilling, but this morning 5 tries and it didn't go down. Sigh.

What a little challenge he is! So growthful.

So is there a specific time that I might best be able to catch a below 90 for a reduction? Say at +1, +2, or +3?

Hmmm, he's not eating much today. Maybe that will do it. I'll test again in 2 hours.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
  2. Jan D & Squeaky

I'm a bit worried about him because he's not eating much..... some but not a lot. Is that okay?

Other than that he mostly seems to be doing okay......

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Inappetence was always a sign of pancreatitis for Max. I would give him ondansetron whenever it happened. Is that a sign with Squeaky?

Jan D & Squeaky likes this.
  4. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Wow, Jan, Squeaky's surfing really well today! It looks like his nadirs move around, so it's hard to say when is the best time to test unfortunately. I would try testing at +2, and if it's the same or lower than the preshot, then I would test again around +4 or +6 if you want to have no more than 6 tests a day.

As for his food, have you thought of keeping track of how many calories he's consuming a day? Ruby consumes between 130-180 calories a day. Some days more, some days less. I don't stress about it as long as I weigh her from time to time to make sure she's not losing or gaining too much. The important thing is that she eats during or right after her shot. After that I'm ok whatever she wants to eat during the day. She usually tells me what she needs.

5. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Elise. I have no clue what the signs of pancreatitis are with Squeaky. I know he isn't vomiting and doesn't have diarrhea. He's still on the buprenorphine. And the cerenia and budesonide, except it was impossible to pill him this morning so I just skipped a day. He seems to do poorly in the mornings; doesn't play often. Would that be a sign?

Thanks Katherine. Good Lord. I can't make this any more complicated than it already is. The only other thing I was thinking of, is just totally skip home made fresh raw or cooked food and just find something canned for him on a regular basis. And not give him a choice any more. To me, that's really going low but I'm very frustrated. He gets offered the best food on the planet.

I am trying to heal my own health issues so I only have so much energy and focus left to care for the cat. I'm so grateful you are all here coaching me because it's very hard for me to figure out all the details. I'm very far behind in my daily tasks this week.

@THH Could this be pancreatitis? He's already on buprenorphine. I don't have any ondansetron.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2021
    Katherine&Ruby likes this.
  6. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

7. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Carla! We can use the hugs! Hugs back!

8. Jan D & Squeaky

Could it possibly be that he's purposely not eating because it keeps his BG numbers down?

9. Katherine&Ruby

10. Katherine&Ruby

I know cats will eat less when they are in lower numbers and are getting better regulated. My Ruby will come meowing at me for food when her BG is dropping fast, but otherwise she is eating a lot less than when she was in reds and pinks.

Jan D & Squeaky and thebigfuzz like this.
  11. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

I second this. Cosmo eats far less when he is surfing better numbers and isn’t dropping fast.

Good to keep an eye on his appetite though, to be sure nothing else might be going on.

12. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Looks like you found your reduction this afternoon. You can start the new reduced dose tonight. :D

13. Jan D & Squeaky

Thanks Katherine and Tanya.

Never a dull moment in a diabetic cat house, huh?

Reduced tonight! Hey GSGL seems to work well, we've already had 3 reductions!! He ate a little tonight and I got his morning pill down this evening. YAY. He won't play, though. I'm just going to give him some space and keep a watchful eye. He isn't actually looking sick so maybe he's just in healing mode? (Like me LOL)

Have a good evening, Gals! :bighug: from me and :cat::bighug: from Squeaky