09/18 Blaze AMPS6.4/115

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blaze and Paola, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Blaze and Paola

Blaze and Paola Well-Known Member

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/09-18-blaze-amps-7-1-128.235510/#post-2638527

@Critter Mom @tiffmaxee @Red & Rover (GA)

Good morning girls,

I missed all of those messages last night and I don't know why. I keep my phone beside me the whole time to hear the "ding" sound of incoming email but after 11 pm I didn't hear anything so I kept testing until +6 and posting as I did so. I am so sorry I got you worried. I also followed Blaze around a lot last night and phone wasn't always with me.

Mogs, your list of things, I feel confident on it, I have all those steps down.

This morning is even lower than yesterday AMPS...I just looked at the picture of the mini dose shot, II think I can recreate that on my syringe.

The dose should be really little considering how green he was last night.

Sorry again for worrying you!

I am about to feed now.

Critter Mom and Sue and Luci like this.
  2. Blaze and Paola

Blaze was a little antsy this morning but not as much as last night. I feel like I have been hit by a truck cause I am sleep deprived but I will survive, I can nap today. I am home. He is eating.

I measured his AMPS 15 minutes ago and now he is eating, shot is in 30 minutes at 7:15 AM my time

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi again, Paola.

Sounds like you're very much on the case. :cool:

You did a grand job last night. :bighug:

Re the AMPS, allowing for meter variance Blaze is pretty much in the same place as he was yesterday morning (bit lower).

Will you be able to monitor him closely throughout today's AM cycle? (I'm very conscious of how tired you must be right now.)

Mogs

Blaze and Paola and Sue and Luci like this.
  4. Critter Mom

We cross-posted.

Is anyone there with you today who could keep a visual monitor on Blaze while you take a nap and wake you when it's time to check his BG?

5. Critter Mom

(When exhausted it's very, very easy to sleep through an alarm.)

Blaze and Paola likes this.
  6. Blaze and Paola

I am ok to test him and monitor, I will keep myself awake. If I see that I hit a wall, I will call my neighbour. She said "she is always there if I need" I truly hope she means it

Critter Mom likes this.
  7. Blaze and Paola

So this morning, I give him a 0.01 dose? Like picture?

8. Critter Mom

FYI, sometimes there can be glitches on the site and alerts don't get through. For future reference, if you're in a situation where you're in need of assistance and feedback try refreshing the thread in your browser regularly to see new messages.

Mogs

9. Blaze and Paola

Yes I did that last night until about 11, I have to do that during the wake as well...I try to follow him and then lay down of the couch...I need to keep my laptop close too...even this morning, I am not receiving the notifications of these messages we are sending right now to each other.

10. Blaze and Paola

Mogs I looked at your Alphatrak sheet for Saoirse and I love the way it is set out, if you can help me do one just like that for Blaze next week that would be amazing

11. Critter Mom

Only if you're 1000000000000% sure you can monitor throughout the cycle. If there is even the tiniest shred of doubt in your mind about that I recommend that you skip. With the numbers you're seeing it points to Blaze's pancreas doing a bit more heavy lifting. If, after eating some food during the cycle, the pancreas were to produce a pulse of insulin there is the possibility that if Blaze was already near the lower bound of the reference range that little pulse might result in his numbers going too low. (Not saying that this would happen, just highlighting that it could happen.)

What are your thoughts?

Mogs

12. Critter Mom

Will do. :)

13. Blaze and Paola

I keep having this feeling that his pancreas started to "wake up" and it started to produce his own insulin. I am afraid to shoot when I see such low numbers even now that I know I am going to be home I feel nervous thinking of giving him some.

Critter Mom likes this.
  14. Blaze and Paola

I didn't know insulin can be so powerful even in such miniscule doses...and if I think of what my vet wanted me to do, I would like to shoot her. Sorry just being honest

Critter Mom likes this.
  15. Critter Mom

It is indeed powerful. And it doesn't come with an OFF switch.

Mogs

16. Blaze and Paola

That's what scares me...let's say I skip now, I would give him the 0.01 dose tonight, right? Keeping the next weekend cycles all low to see where the numbers go

17. Blaze and Paola

By next weekend, I mean THIS weekend, NEXT cycles of it

Critter Mom likes this.
  18. Blaze and Paola

This is how I feel right now:

Blaze has never been this low in his numbers. He has been acting restless for 2 days now. Something must be happening in his body that makes him that way. I am thinking the blood levels dropping to more of a "normal" range are affecting him. I think his pancreas might have started to wake up a little and right now it is kinda having bursts of production of insulin in an unpredictable way. Even though I am home today, seeing how the night went and the fact that his AMPS is even lower than yesterday morning, makes me worry about shooting right now. BUT I don't want this good streak of positive numbers to end abruptly if I skip again. Just worried about not being able to ask his pancreas what the heck it is up to.

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Blaze and Paola

Is not shooting again today going to work against his possibility of improvement in the long run? Or again the posivite streak he is having?

20. Critter Mom

I figured that was what you meant. Ain't sleep deprivation grand! :woot:

You're at a tricky stage in Blaze's treatment now. He's doing very well indeed, but because of that it means that even if you give an eensy teensy weensy dose of Lantus you'll need to monitor him throughout each cycle to see whether he still needs that little droplet and can receive it safely or whether he might be on the verge of an OTJ trial (anti-jinx).

If he does need that droplet for a little while then the days immediately ahead may be a bit thin in the sleep department.

If you are in any doubt whatsoever today go with safety. If it was my cat and I couldn't give myself a 100000000000% iron-clad guarantee of being able to closely monitor for the next 12 hours I would skip. I wouldn't bank on being able to nap and wake up, or rely on someone not in my household to wake me up.

If you do decide to skip you could take the opportunity to do BG spot checks between naps to see how Blaze does without this morning's dose. That would also be valuable data.

Let me know what you decide.

Mogs

21. Blaze and Paola

Ok I have decided to skip considering my current sleep depravation state. I will test during this cycle in between sleeping.

Critter Mom likes this.
  22. Critter Mom

Looking at Blaze's numbers and pattern of response I do not think that skipping this AM cycle's dose will harm his long term prospects. As I mentioned on your thread yesterday, historically and again yesterday Blaze has held steady when doses have been missed/skipped. He will also have a little bit of influence from the 0.15IU dose depot.

I am also conscious and wary of Blaze's unusual behaviour over the last two nights. If you skip today and his numbers aren't quite so low as the last two nights you'd have a chance to observe differences in behaviour. Such changes are important guides. ECID: not all cats like to be in the lowest part of the normal BG reference range.

Mogs

23. Critter Mom

I think it's the safest thing to do, Paola. As I mentioned in the post above, it will also give you the important opportunity to observe Blaze's behaviour and how it might correlate with the BG range he is running in.

Mogs

24. Blaze and Paola

Ok, I feel better about my decision. Yes he has been acting weird...not used to seeing him like this.

Critter Mom likes this.
  25. Critter Mom

PS:

Note that many cats frequently run in different ranges on the AM and PM cycles. The majority tend to run lower at night. Bear that in mind when evaluating today's AM cycle and considering what to do this evening.

Mogs

26. Blaze and Paola

I am gonna go to bed for a while, as I sit here my eyes are closing...Love you all, thank you for looking after Blaze and me. This Board is a gift from God, it truly is. I will be checking this page when I wake up and I will be posting as I test as usual :bighug:

Critter Mom likes this.
  27. Critter Mom

Wishing you a restful and restorative sleep. Paola.

(((Paola, Blaze and Ash)))

:bighug:

Mogs

28. Blaze and Paola

I went to bed at 7:30 AM, Blaze was restless but followed me to bed...he could't settle for about 1 hour but he stayed with me. He finally curled up and went to sleep at 8:30 and I passed out shortly after that. I just woke up and will test at +3 (in 15 minutes). I feel better after sleeping for 1 hr and a half, but I am still really tired. I just gave Ash his chemo pill (I almost forgot:( it was pill day for him today, I have been worrying so much about Blaze...I need to be more on my game), having some toast and will post results when done.

Critter Mom likes this.
  29. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

:bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:Just read through the condo. No worries about last night. I was just worried about you! My phone never dings if I’m tagged or have a message. I have to refresh and sometimes hit alerts again. I’m just glad all is well.
    The only time Max was aggressive with me He growled, was one of the times he tested in the 30’s. I don’t think the skip will hurt his progress. I hope you get all the info you need by Monday morning! I hope you can get some sleep today.

Blaze and Paola and Critter Mom like this.
  30. Critter Mom

Blaze holding steady. :cool:

If you're able to, after his next small meal try testing at +1 hour and +2 hours after to check what effects eating might be having on his BG levels at the moment. NB: Prioritise your need for sleep, not the testing: the tests suggested are nice-to-haves, not need-to-haves. :)

What % carbs are in the food he's eating?

Mogs

31. Blaze and Paola

He is eating FF ocean whitefish and tuna classic 69% protein, 27% fat and 4% carb

Dry food here and there dr. Elseys chicken 10% carb

32. Critter Mom

Does he feel better/behave more like his normal self after eating the Dr. Elsey's?

33. Blaze and Paola

He eats the Dr. Elseys rarely...i leave 2 bowls out during the day and in the evening and take everything away 2.5 hours before feedings.

If he eats some, he eats like literally 7 little pieces or less...i don't notice a change

34. Blaze and Paola

ash eats more of it than blaze

35. Blaze and Paola

Trying to change my sheets...lol they are "helping me"

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  36. Critter Mom

Cats are very good at 'helping'. And even better at supervising. :D

They're beautiful, Paola. :cat:

37. Blaze and Paola

They are both sleeping now...i am gonna do the exact same. In a couple of hours i am gonna see if he wants some food and will then measure at +1 and +2...thats the goal :)

Thank you Mogs, they are my beautiful babies, love them to pieces

Critter Mom likes this.
  38. tiffmaxee

They are adorable!

39. Blaze and Paola

Can't fall asleep...I just tested Blaze at +4.75 and he is at 6.7/121 still. After I tested him I brought upstairs a few pieces of kibbles, he had 10. Gonna test at +1 after the kibbles.

Critter Mom likes this.
  40. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

None of the posts on the thread were "reply" posts. You should receive an alert with this post.

41. Blaze and Paola

I just did! My phone dinged, it's in my email, so that's what it was? Thanks Robyn

42. tiffmaxee

You didn’t give insulin so eating is not as important. It will be interesting to see if he eats in his own so come Monday you have an idea of what he will do in case you need to give insulin.

43. Blaze and Paola

One thing that I have noticed...when Blaze chews hard pieces, it seems to me that he is finding discomfort. He doesn't chew like he used to, I wonder if he is avoiding the hard stuff because he has teeth problems. When the vet looked at his teeth she said they were fine.
    Another point, after eating the 10 kibbles, at +1, his levels are lower than before eating them.

44. Blaze and Paola

He just went and ate kibbles on his own, he seemed fine. Maybe I am just seeing things now...hallucinations from lack of sleep :confused:

45. tiffmaxee

Lol. This is what you want to see. What he does on his own. Useful info.

46. tiffmaxee

The bg going down after eating is the sign of the pancreas coming back to life.

Critter Mom likes this.
  47. tiffmaxee

He could indeed have an issue with his teeth. If all looks good the only way to tell is by xrays which require sedation.

48. Blaze and Paola

Really?? Fongers crossed....go pancreas!!

49. tiffmaxee

If the bg goes down a couple hours after eating it’s a very good sign.

50. Blaze and Paola

I am going for a nap, head feels heavy. I just quickly tested him 1 hour after he ate some kibbles on his own. He is at 7/126.

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  51. Critter Mom

You know Blaze best and your observation skills are excellent, Paola. I'd be inclined to get his teeth and gums checked again. Gingivitis alone can be enough to elevate BG levels.

Mogs

52. Blaze and Paola

I am alive! I slept for 2 hours and went and did groceries for the week. Just playing a bit of laser with the boys now.
    Feeding is in 45 min...i am curious to see what BG level is Blaze at preshot. Testing in 30 min.
    I actually have decided to contact Blaze's old vet for a second opinion. The vet we have now just doesn't do it for me. Too many things that don't make sense coming from that office.

Critter Mom likes this.
  53. Blaze and Paola

I just did Blaze's PMPS, he went lower on his own again after being 7/126 at the highest point today after eating. Right now his PMPS is 6.5/117. I think the plan is for me to give 0.01U. Should I do that considering how he did with no insulin today? I can practice loading the amount in a syringe with water and shooting in the sink to see how much comes out. Any suggestions? @tiffmaxee @Critter Mom

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  54. Blaze and Paola

Comparing his PMPS results with the human meter it would come out to approx 4.8/86.
    One day I measured his BG using the human and the Alphatrak right after (same blood sample) and I noticed that the difference was 0.74%.

55. Blaze and Paola

When I practiced with the syringe with the 0.01, what comes out is 1 tiny drop, that would be it, right? He didn't eat much tonight...

56. Critter Mom

Hi Paola,

Just back online this very minute. Reading recent posts. BRB...

57. Critter Mom

Hi Paola,

Sorry I wasn't online earlier. Please tell me whether or not you have given any insulin tonight.

Mogs

58. Blaze and Paola

Thats ok, I gave him 1 tiny drop and I am going to send you the picture of it. Hold on

59. Blaze and Paola

This is water in the picture but thats roughly the amount.

Attached Files:

Critter Mom likes this.
  60. Blaze and Paola

I will monitor him tonight, bf is coming over as well, so I have help. I just want to see how he reacts so I know what to expect on Monday when i am not home

Critter Mom likes this.
  61. Critter Mom

The drop dose looks OK, Paola.

I'm glad you've got the BF to keep you company tonight. :)

I'm still trying to get Lúnasa's records into shape so I might be up for a little while, in which case I'll take peeks at how you're getting on. How long till you next test Blaze? (HH:MM please!)

Mogs

62. Blaze and Paola

Thank you Mogs :) I usually test at +2 (09:15 PM) basically in 1 hr and 40 minutes. Should I do a +1 as well (08:15 PM)?

63. Critter Mom

I think a test at +1 to be on the safe side is a good idea, Paola. It's the lowest PS you've given insulin on thus far.

64. Blaze and Paola

I agree, i will test at 08:15 PM, in 30 min

Critter Mom likes this.
  65. Critter Mom

I've set myself an alarm to alert me to check in with you then.

Did Blaze eat a bit more for you?

66. Blaze and Paola

I tried to go over with some more food but he didn't want it. Gonna try a little later with some dry...not sure why his eating is not always the same...
    His peeing is less though...the clumps are much smaller than usual and he is not drinking as much as before either...its been maybe 3 days now i have noticed

67. Critter Mom

He's been running most of the time in the normal range over that period of time.

Will check in with you when you've done the +1.

68. Critter Mom

Steady thus far (anti-jinx!). Will check back again at +2.

69. Blaze and Paola

Sounds good :)

Critter Mom likes this.
  70. tiffmaxee

I just heard you decided to try the drop. I hope he stays flat.

Critter Mom and Blaze and Paola like this.
  71. Critter Mom

Bit of a budge at +2, I see.

How is Blaze behaving at the moment, Paola? Any scattiness?

72. Critter Mom

And has he eaten anything since PMPS?

tiffmaxee and Blaze and Paola like this.
  73. Blaze and Paola

He is doing ok, no scattiness. He is just hanging out in the basement.
    He has not eaten anything since.he had his dinner. I tried to give him some wet and dry but he doesn't want any.

74. tiffmaxee

Offer him food in a half hour. What’s his favorite?

Critter Mom likes this.
  75. Blaze and Paola

He likes the one i give him but i need to put tuna water on it...only thing he goes nuts for are the treats but they are high in carbs and i use in case of really low numbers

Critter Mom likes this.
  76. Blaze and Paola

He likes the one i give him (ocean whitefish and tuna) for breakie and din din but i need to put human tuna water on it...only thing he goes nuts for are the treats but they are high in carbs and i use in case of really low numbers

77. tiffmaxee

You could put human tuna on it now if that’s what it takes.

78. Blaze and Paola

I will do that and ash will think it's party time

Critter Mom likes this.
  79. tiffmaxee

Lol!

80. Blaze and Paola

Lol he is just taking the ride with Blaze and me...follows along with everything except the shots and bg checks lol

Critter Mom and tiffmaxee like this.
  81. Blaze and Paola

Tuna party accomplished, they both ate a snack, Blaze ate a bit more than his bro

Critter Mom likes this.
  82. Critter Mom

Your autocorrect just gets better and better...

:D

83. tiffmaxee

Thanks. I needed a laugh. That time it was a typo.

Critter Mom and Blaze and Paola like this.
  84. Blaze and Paola

85. Blaze and Paola

I am going to go to bed...eyes are closing. Blaze seems to be doing ok. Thank you for your help today. I am going to start a new thread tomorrow morning!

Critter Mom likes this.
  86. tiffmaxee

I agree he’s looking good. Did he eat with the tuna?

87. Blaze and Paola

Yes he did eat it with lots of happiness too. He loves it

tiffmaxee and Critter Mom like this.
  88. Blaze and Paola

Sorry @tiffmaxee for not replying to your question directly last night...I was falling asleep and went straight to bed

89. tiffmaxee

I thought you might be asleep. No apology necessary. :bighug: