09/18 Milo Unexpected reduction earned

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha, Sep 18, 2020.

1. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha Member

I got up at+9 last night and Milo was 198. His shot was at 4am and he was still 164. Dropped to 124 before I left at +4.75. All seems good!

tiffmaxee likes this.
  2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Surf safely Milo. Have a good day at work.

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Nice surfing for Milo.

4. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Well, he’s a tricky one. He managed to go all the way down to 59 at +10.25 when I got home. When I got up last night, he had not slid down at +9. Good thing I’m home for a couple of days to see what happens in his cycle but it doesn’t seem very consistent. I am open to suggestions.

I know 59 doesn’t “earn” him a reduction but is the dose too high for when I’m away working all day?? Is this ever taken into consideration and the dose adjusted based on circumstances?? I couldn’t have predicted this morning he’d be so low when I got home. I even put him on a 4am/pm schedule (ugggg!) after the skipped shot to ensure I had maximum time to monitor before I left in the mornings...
    I live in the country and I don’t have anyone who can come and test him for me.
    Suggestions????

5. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

6. tiffmaxee

I’d see what he does while you are home this weekend and decide Sunday. He might just earn the reduction making it easy for you. That 4 a.m. is it sustainable?

7. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise. If you can shoot consistently this weekend you'll be able to see what he's really doing on this dose and if you need to make any adjustments.

Sue and Luci likes this.
  8. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

I agree with Elise, see what's going on this weekend while you're off work.

Use your auto feeder and leave out medium or high carb food. Just in case.

If you reduce and he's not really there yet (earning it, or even with better numbers consistently) he'll just have consistently higher numbers and defeat his progress thus far.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I was thinking similar. You're off on the weekend? Do lots of testing and see where the dose is taking him! Collect as much data as possible, and then let's see what that says.
    You're doing great with him! :bighug: It would be good to keep the momentum going.

tiffmaxee likes this.
  10. Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha

Well, he’s fooled me again. I tested at +2.75 and he had dropped to 38! HC and maple syrup spooned into his mouth (1/8 tsp approx). +3.25 he’s at 77.
    I didn’t expect that kind of drop and I was unexpectedly on the phone for an extra 45 mins. He’s never been that low that I know of (but I now suspect there’s probably been times at night perhaps.) I see from this that his behaviour is quite normal even at low BG numbers.

I wasn’t hoping for it this way (even stalled the shot for 2 hours) but the reduction has firmly been earned.

New shot time: 6 am/pm

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. tiffmaxee

Congrats on the reduction. Please update the title!

12. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad you caught it. Hoping that the new reduced dose makes going to work next week a bit easier – both for you and Milo.

13. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Sam, have you seen this post in the TR Myths Debunked thread? Getting your head around shooting lower pre-shot numbers and falling numbers is challenging for sure. I found this post to be very helpful. It explains why it is safe to shoot a dropping number and even a good thing!

Congrats on the reduction! That 38 speaks for itself. :D

Sam&Milo(GA)&Singha likes this.