? 06/19 Woody AMPS HI, + 6 HI

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mimik, Jun 19, 2024.

1. Mimik

Mimik Member

Hello, I have a question --- I really can't draw for certainty 4.75 as a dose - I am prob. pulling 5 U's from the Lantus -- this is a bit of a struggle for me getting just under " 5" U's -- and this might be just a bit TOO much for him. His numbers are higher, I don't seem much bouncing. He also doesn't look very bright or alert the last 2 days. and is not doing anything but sleeping-- How the heck can I get to 4.75 without spending an hour "trying" to get the syringe filled to this exact measurement?

2. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Maybe you could get a set of calipers to make it easier to line up the dose for you :)

3. Mimik

Mimik Member

Jees, I am almost going blind trying to get to 4.75 U's -- I'll have to figure out where to get calipers -- or MAYBE he will bypass the "high" and I can get him to 5 U's "safely" - what kind/type size of caliper would I need?

4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Calipers really helped me. In the US they sell them at a tools store and I think even Amazon has them.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  5. Mimik

Mimik Member

Yeah, my guy will fetch me some --- we have calipers, large ones for building and renovating purposes -- I need a small one -- thanks --- I'll bet the little minx will get to 5 U's soon enough, and save his mother the 1/2 stroke trying to get to 4.75 - but, it will go one so get a nice small one --

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  6. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Hope this link on Amazon works. It’s a 6” calipers. I like it, but you could also get a 4” pair if you prefer (a little smaller)
    https://a.co/d/03opmXrw

7. Mimik

Mimik Member

Thanks Staci, I will post his #'s later -- I took Woody back to 4.5 U's this AM -- he's been SO high for the last few days and not looking well. His #'s came right back down shortly after --- and I did check last night ( his shot) and I am pretty darn sure I actually dosed 4.75 -- I'll play between 4.5 and 4.75 over the next few days.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

His numbers went high because of the fur shot two days ago. The effects of a fur shot can be seen in later cycles. Plus he could still be bouncing from the 50's a few days ago.

Places to try for calipers are tool stores like KMS Tools, Summit Tools. You do have to look for calipers that have thin arms that are used to measure the inside of things, otherwise they won't fit under the rim at the end of the BD syringes. For example, Canadian Tire sells two calipers, but the cheap one (Mastercraft) the arms are too fat. The more expensive one (of course!) looks fine. KMS has one under $30 on sale now that would work. Lots of options on Amazon. Make sure they calipers have a locking mechanism so you can lock the distance in place. It's a little thumb screw that is typically located above the display. Here's one example.

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  9. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

In Germany many people use printed paper rulers to measure. I find them very helpful and I couldn't do without. There is just one disadvantage, why I consider to switch to calipers: They are out of paper and even if you stabilize them with duct tape, what I did, they can get smaller by using them. Here is the link, you just need a printer:
    https://www.diabetes-katzen.net/insulinruler.pdf

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  10. Wendy&Neko

@Heike & BInie The ruler requires A4 paper, which we typically don't use in North America.

Heike & BInie likes this.
  11. Mimik

Mimik Member

Hello Ladies, I actually got 4.75 exact this evening and his #'s ( as Wendy) said have started to come down again. I did not know that a missed shot would cause higher numbers for a few days after. I'll load up Woody's #'s tomorrow -- thanks again very much,

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  12. Heike & BInie

Heike & BInie Member

Thank you Wendy! You solved another mystery for me! I was always wondering why nobody here is using them. But anyhow, I think long term calipers are more reliable.

13. Mimik

Mimik Member

I have a question- since going higher in dose (4.75) and now 5 U’s Woody is drinking more, peeing more and is looking glassy eyed - and it seems his sugar is higher - is this all because his body is adjusting to the increases of insulin ?

14. Mimik

Mimik Member

Hi again. I have another question -- I have, for some months now been giving Woody shots in "one of two shave spots" hind leg top and flank --- last night and AM shot I shot in the scruff of his neck. and his #'s seemed to go lower. I don't know if injection site has anything to do with success. I've read this that and the other on this topic. Prior to a month ago Woody was getting sub Q fluids every other day so couldn't do the scruff then. So, should I continue with this or does it matter?

15. Wendy&Neko

Keep track, perhaps on the Remarks part of the SS, where you shot and see if you spot a trend. I didn't notice much difference, but I have heard of people who have.

When you first start a new dose, some cats experience what we call New Dose Wonkiness (NDW), which is a temporary rise in numbers. We aren't sure what causes it, maybe something to do with the depot adjusting? Anyway, it's over after 2-3 cycles of the new dose.

16. Mimik

Mimik Member

I have had Woody on 5U's since Saturday --- His #'s certainly not dropped to green for any length of time -- would I be looking at taking the dose to 5 1/2 this evening OR tomorrow -- thanks,

17. Wendy&Neko

This thread is now 6 days old. We ask that you start a new thread each day that you want to post something new.

18. Mimik

Mimik Member

Okay, I thought you wanted me to continue with the same thread ( you included) a few days ago -- I will re post this question as "new" thanks,