06/16 Eddie AMPS 367 PMPS 342

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodey&Eddie&Blue, Jun 16, 2024.

1. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Jodey&Eddie&Blue Well-Known Member

Hello
    It's been quite a wild couple of days. Here is yesterday:

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/06-15-eddie-amps-446-pmps-290-7-5-362.291161/

At the end of the 24 hour period here is an update on Eddie:

He’s been on Gabapentin 1.0ml BiD with a 0.5ml in between for two days. Before I report what’s been happening I want to say I am convinced (not by only the article sent from the vet tech but all of the online evidence, including videos of cat’s doing exactly what Eddie was doing in the video) that Eddie is subject to Feline Oro-facial pain syndrome. It’s uncanny seeing all those cats doing the tongue twirling and gagging, all like Eddie in the video.

Re: etiology: all his past conditions and experiences seem to lead up to this condition. He has had serious periodontal issues, including resorptive lesions and broken teeth. The article and many others also point out that one of the drivers of FOPS is stress and it can even trigger an episode of the tongue twirling and gagging. In addition to his dental problems Eddie has been really stressed over the last two months. In fact, he’s been really stressed since Blue died at the end of July 2023 and I can confirm that early last August a few days after Blue’s death was when Eddie began to balk at eating and would continue on and off like that until he started the occasional tongue twirling about 4 months ago. One source said FOPL can be exacerbated by dental surgery. And now here we are.

So, Eddie started Gabapentin on Saturday morning and since then I dropped Buprenorphine. By 4:30 in the afternoon, his kittybox action was perfect. He hasn’t had a bowel movement like that for nearly 10 days. By evening, he showed real interest in food. I had to help a little with syringe but his tongue was functioning properly to lick his lips on both sides and he had no gagging at all. I put him in his “safehouse” with the rest of the food and he ate the rest on his own.

This morning was the same. He is not hiding out but coming to the little rug to get his medications and a treat. He is interested in food and while he had some help this morning he also finished on his own. {attached photos. It’s very messy but who cares)

However, he did have two tongue-twirling/gagging events today. The first was milder and it was with him licking a treat and the second was these evening for dinner. It happened when he started to eat and that put him off, which is why I had to help him. I syringe fed him about half of his liquified food and put him and the rest in the safehouse and he has eaten some on this own.

I am encouraged that he twice was able to eat without those terrible symptoms as he’s only been on Gabapentin and an increase in Prednisolone for two days. I know I'll have to do something about BG/insulin.

@Wendy&Neko

Attached Files:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  2. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Eddie this morning.

Attached Files:

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good to see Eddie is happier to eat now.:). Is there treatment for FOPS?

What does 0.25 ml of pred mean in mg? It depends on the concentration of it per ml. My first SCL kitty was much better within 2 days of starting pred. But that was 10mg. It's dosed by weight and he was lighter than Eddie.

4. Jodey&Eddie&Blue

Prednisolone 0.25ml = 1.25 mg [5MG/ML]

Strangely, the preferred treatment for FOPS is Gabapentin and Prednisolone. It's also treatable in that it can be overcome but it's so weird. I'm telling you seeng all those cats in videos just made me feel so sad. To think Eddie has been experiencing this for months. I'm so glad I got the dental. In addition to the dental, the medications ought to do something. I don't know if i posted the original article but here it is: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7128958/

5. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm glad Eddie is eating some for you and you figured out what is going on. I hope he will continue to eat an the meds continue to help. Sending prayers. :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue and Staci & Ivy like this.
  6. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

Oh sweet sweet Eddie. So nice to see him eating, Jodey. It’s so good you figured out what’s going on. Wishing you much success in treating this situation. Many prayers for you and Eddie :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

Jodey&Eddie&Blue likes this.