03/02 AMPS 302 - new foster day 3.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jerica&Dale, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Hello!
    I just started fostering Dale from this shelter I volunteer at. He came in as a diabetic. Original owner had passed away and some neighbors took him in, took him to vet to discover he was diabetic. They were treating him to my knowledge and feeding the scrip food from the vet. I already have a diabetic/Acro/Iaa boy so this is not all new for me, but I am by no means perfect and it never hurts getting advice or input.

We are day 3 at my home and getting onto our schedule. I was hoping to see a bit better result after switching him off the dry food that they feed at the shelter but maybe needs more time. I also too am wondering how the introduction of my 2 kitties and Dale affects him too. He was clearly an "only kitty" he is sweet as ever to humans but gets a little growly and hissy when my boys want to meet him. We've only done meets through a baby gate. Would even just those few moments of growls and hisses affect Dale's BG ? Should I not even be attempting introductions at all yet? I want to get him feeling a better, while his sugars aren't crazy high, they aren't in range either. I work from home these days and our spare room is now my office too, so I am with him all day, thing is my boys want to be as well.

I was really hoping they would all just look at eachother and start cuddling and I'd have a lil trio of troublemakers!

Dale is my priority, but also my kitties too. I know we are only a few days in so I know just time will most likely come into play here, but any input or advice on introducing sugar kitties and if I should be doing anything differently would be greatly appreciated!!

2. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. It's so kind of you to foster a diabetic cat. This is a great place to get advice and support. I tried to open the SS, but it says I don't have access. You'll need to set up permission for us to view it. One other thing is the GA icon is used for cats that have passed away. It's easy to get confused and think it's for general advice. Other people have done the same thing. The ? icon is used to get advice.

3. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

OOPs! Fixed my title!
    And I might have fixed up SS. I've requested for some help!

Gill & George likes this.
  4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I can see the SS now. It looks like he's not doing too bad for just starting out and getting off the prescription food. With SLGS you wait 7 days before increasing the dose. It does look like he will need an increase at the end of 7 days. It will just take time to find a good dose that will bring his numbers down. As far as introducing the cats, I think it will just take time for them to get used to each other. Stress could temporarily raise his BG, but it will come back down. I'd just keep doing what you are doing.

5. RachelG

RachelG Member

Welcome! What a wonderful thing to foster Dale, he is lucky to have you! I think it will just take time with the into; the baby gate is great because it allows them to smell each other while Dale has some space to get used to them, even though I'm sure it is hard for your boys to be a part from you! :bighug:

Feliway diffusers in the common areas/where Dale is may help as well.

I defer to those more experienced regarding advice on dosing.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Aw thanks guys, he was so stressed out at the shelter I just had to take him.
    Yes, time & patience. I just want them to all get along so badly! I think and hope too with more time everyone will settle in. Possibly a a dose increase in the near future as well, but I am going to go SGLS, I don't want to go to fast with anything right now, I'm still learning his personality etc and learning how he reacts with insulin etc. He has a vet appt on Friday which will not help his #'s either poor boy, doesn't seem to like being in a carrier at all, the appt it just to have the shelters vet look him over etc, he came with recent bloodwork etc so I'm hoping his appt will not be to invasive on him. I'm going to grab some Feliway too, won't hurt.

7. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Jerica, what does Ramone think of the new kitty?

How long has Dale been on Lantus, and on that dose? It takes 5-7 days for the depot to build. I also expect he is stressed somewhat from the change in housing and new kitties. Plus it can take a few days for the effect of dry food to leave the system. Time for patience!

8. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

:)Welcome from Vancouver :) That’s so great of you to take in Dale. He is a handsome guy :cat:

Jerica&Dale likes this.
  9. Jerica&Dale

Jerica&Dale Member

Hi Wendy!
    Ramone is very curious and I think he's running out of his patience on wanting to be friends with Dale, but Dale has been through a lot recently and I need to remember that too his whole world has changed immensely, going to give him a solid month to get settled in, plus I think too once I get him on correct dose he'll be feeling better as well which could improve his overall demeanor to my boys. I'm not 100% sure how long he's been on lantus. I think he was diagnosed end of January, not sure the exact schedule he was on prior to being surrendered to the shelter, and at shelter having the shots be 12 hours apart is almost impossible how it is set up as its all volunteer based and they free feed dry food, so not great for a diabetic kitty. He was at the shelter for 2 weeks before I got him home. As far as I know he has only been given the 1 unit 2x per day. I'll make another post should I not see any results on this 1 unit I'm currently giving him now. I was hopeful on Monday with some yellows, but right back to the purples. Time will tell!

Gill & George likes this.
  10. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Waving from Ontario. Grew up on Vancouver Island. Thank you for taking in a diabetic foster.

Jerica&Dale likes this.
  11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Hi and Welcome,
    Bless you for taking on another diabetic kitty, he will do much better as a foster than at the shelter, he needs that extra little bit of care.
    He is a handsome boy I just want to scritch those fluffy cheeks.
    Hopefully once the dry is out of his system and he has settled down you will see an improvement in his numbers.
    As Wendy said time for a little patience.

Jerica&Dale likes this.