03/01 Pookie: AMPS 301 PMPS 337 - are we doing this right?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Fog123, Mar 1, 2021.

1. Fog123

Fog123 Member

I've updated our workbook and are current. Should we run a curve tomorrow? Or should we continue on 1.25 units for now?

It looked OK when we were at 1 unit and then he spiked in the amps so we upped it to 1.25 units.

He's very playful on the 1.25 units and is very cuddly. Not as hungry, not drinking as much, and not as liquid poopy.

Thanks

2. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Your spreadsheet says you are following SLGS. With SLGS, you hold the dose for seven days (unless a reduction is earned by dropping below 90), and you do a curve on day 7, evaluate the numbers and determine if an increase is needed. Have a read through the dosing sticky whenever you have time and keep asking questions.

Couple of housekeeping items if you don't mind: Can you please add SLGS to your signature, and remove the dosage info. We don't keep dosing info in our signatures because doses are always changing and we inevitably forget to update the signature (yours says 1U right now;)).

So glad to hear that Pookie is doing well on the 1.25u. They are more than just their numbers, after all!

3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Lantus, Basaglar and Levemir subforum. Glad to see you ran a curve before increasing to 1.25u, you want to be able to determine how low the dose is taking the kitty before increasing, and we dose based on nadirs, with only some consideration to preshot numbers. Might be worth trying to get some midcycle tests at night, if you can, since many kitties like to go lower at night. Since you are following SLGS, you would hold the 1.25u dose for 7 days, run a curve and then re-evaluate. Unless Pookie gives you a number under 90, in which case you would take an immediate 0.25u reduction next dose. Even with SLGS, getting spot checks now and again when you can helps to give you an idea of how the dose is working. Especially when you are first starting out, and trying to get a feel for how the insulin is working (onset, nadir, duration) along with the carbs you are feeding. I always seem to post this, but it helped me immensely when first starting out, hope it helps you.

Here are some of the basic concepts:
    • Onset - the length of time before insulin reaches the bloodstream & begins lowering blood glucose
    • Peak/Nadir - the lowest point in the cycle
    • Duration - the length of time insulin continues to lower blood glucose
    • How to do a Curve - a simple explanation
    By getting additional tests in each cycle, at various times over a few days, you'll be able to determine how the dose is working, and get a feel for onset, nadir and duration. Think of it as pieces in a puzzle, right now, there are a lot of blank spots in Pookie's SS, random tests now and again will help fill in the pieces. Certainly not mandatory for SLGS, the curve after a week will help gauge how the dose is working. Just some food for thought ;)

4. Fog123

Fog123 Member

Housekeeping done! Thanks for reminding me.

I'm sure Pookie will appreciate not having to go through a curve for a few more days.

I also took your previous suggestion and we're moving his time up by 15 minutes with the goal of dosing around 7:00 rather than the 9 that we've been doing. That will give us a few more hours to do pm monitoring.

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  5. Fog123

Fog123 Member

@Christie & Maverick, thanks for the links. It does look like we should do more night time testing. We're trying to set him up with as much information as possible before he gets adopted out (we're fostering him).

Finding it hard not to get impatient. He's picked up so much energy just even going to the 1.25U dose. We wonder what kind of cat he'll be like when he's right where he should be.

But patience it is. Perhaps we don't really want him chasing his favourite mouse at all hours of the night :)

This group is great! Thanks everyone for your support.

6. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

I love his picture. He looks great! Where are you based (as if I need another cat to adopt....):oops::rolleyes:

Mel and Cargo likes this.
  7. Fog123

Fog123 Member

We're based in the Toronto area in Canada. He's a really awesome cat. About 10 years old. If it weren't for the diabetes he would have been adopted almost immediately.

8. Hercule's mum

Hercule's mum Well-Known Member

wrong continent for me.... Hope he gets an awesome forever home.

9. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

I love him. I wish he could come live with Butters :(. Butters doesn't wish that, though.
    My neighbour who was fostering her said she had to be an only cat when I took her in. I didn't believe my neighbour, though. I tried to introduce a couple of other cats that the neighbour thought might be a good fit. It went about as well as expected:blackeye:. All involved survived....but barely. And so the Drama Queen shall remain an only cat.