02/14 Chanel AMPS 176 Please help clear human meter issues

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Laura & Chanel, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

I changed to Freestyle lite because Accu Check needed a 0.6 ul while Freestyle needs only 0.3.
    However, I am do not like what I see. I checked Mike and myself with the human and Alpha Trak.
    These are the results:
    Alpha Trak, Freestyle Lite
    146, 93 (me, yesterday)
    146, 55 (me, today)
    56, 83 (Mike)
    150, 76 (me, less than 30 seconds from the 55 value)

First, I know about the differences in how the human and animal glucometers work. What I do not understand is this:
    1. As you can see, on Alpha Trak I am pretty stable (I am on a hormonal program and I eat pretty much the same things every day, same hours etc.) so not much difference in the schedule. However, 55 is hypo even for a human and I do not feel it. Then, in less than 30 seconds I jumped to 76? I am more unstable than I thought I was LOL
    2. While for me the Alpha Trak-Freestyle Lite gives a consistent comparison with Alpha Trak being higher than Freestyle Lite, for Mike...oh well, it is the opposite. What a heck? Am I missing something here?
    3. Freestyle Lite says that you do not need coding, but the testing strips tube has a code on it. Why? since these strips are for Freestyle Lite (the label says so).

Can someone help me in understanding these differences? Because I am not so sure of the values I read for Chanel with the Freestyle Lite.
    Thanks

2. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Testing yourself on an AT is not going to work as you are a human and it’s very specifically calibrated for pets.

I don’t want to be repetitive but you just cannot compare AT and human meter readings. Period. It is an exercise in futility. You can look at my Gracie’s SS and I have a tab with Micro/AT comparisons and you’ll see the BGs are all over the place. Time to put away the AT and, please, don’t waste those expensive strips testing yourselves :p:p

Each meter is allowed to have a 20% variance. That means that the 55 you tested yourself at could also have been a 66 and the 76 could have been 61. That’s how the variance is explained. I also found that if I used the same meter and tested again very soon after the first test, I sometimes got a reading that, while was within that 20% variance, was a little more different than I would have thought. Thus I bought a second meter of the exact same type so if I had to retest, I would use it. It’s important to note that the 20% variance is not between two meters of the same type but is applicable only to readings of the same meter.

I hope that helps. Bye bye AT!!!:cat::):):)

3. Laura & Chanel

Laura & Chanel Member

@Marje and Gracie thank you so much for the clarification. :bighug::bighug::bighug: I know, those strips hurt the wallet (100 strips - $170) while the AT strips are $50/50 strips. It was interesting to test ourselves too, actually ;);) It was also insane to see that Mike had a reversed outcome compared to mine, maybe he is a different species....probably mouse or bird because Chanel loves to play with him and bite him LOL
    She seems ok for now, still no idea what was that got her in high numbers. I have a feeling it might be my cosmetics. I stopped using them and now she looks better. On the other hand, I am dry and itchy and contemplating the idea of getting some relief with almond oil.:banghead: All that in spite of humidifiers working daily. Bad genes...
    One more question please: how do you do when replying to a certain paragraph from a message? Still, not knowing how to do that. :(

4. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You’re very welcome.

;):smuggrin::smuggrin:

It’s hard to say but, honestly, I don’t think anything topical, except potentially steroids, would affect her BG. It looks like a classic bounce to me. Steep dives set off big bounces.

You just highlight the section you want to reply to and the “reply” button will pop up at the end of the highlight. It works much better from a desktop or laptop and less so from a mobile device.

BTW, when you change meters from pet to human, the SS has to be totally reformatted. If you can please send me a private message by clicking on my username to the left and “start a conversation”, I can editing rights from you and fix that right away. Thanks!!

5. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

100 strips for Freestyle light at the pharmacy here in Canada is about $70.00. In the US, I believe it's even less. Where are you buying the strips?