Intro - DAKOTA! 'Meet' our newest Extra Sweet baby!

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Squeaky and KT (GA), Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

FINALLY today we OFFICIALLY welcome our newest Blessing - extra sweet 'Dakota'. Dakota is an 11 year old Norwegien Forest Cat or Maine Coon mix - another BIG Boy! Dakota was given up about 4 years ago when it was discovered he was diabetic - rescued by Fancy Cats Rescue in Virginia. Ronda Dalton got him started on insulin, low carb food and began working toward remission. What sounded like a wonderful family stepped up and adopted him. 'New Owner' reports were glowing, he was healthy, doing fine....until they got a call saying they were returning him because he peed outside the litterbox. When they got him back, his diabetes hadn't been treated, he'd been given hard food, gained a lot of weight, poor baby was a matted sick ball of fur. Back to Ronda who's been working for months to get him healthy again. This whole adoption has been one of those amazing 'meant to be' things.

It all started March 25th. My little ISP has all sorts of issues all the time - we went almost 2 weeks without being able to see any pictures on any page. I was checking Facebook as that's how our family stays in touch. Right there on my newfeed was Dakota's DCIN courtesy post. The thing that caught my eye first was his name...our last name altho' spelled really wierd (french) is pronounced 'Dakota'.

I clicked on his petfinder link and THERE HE WAS staring back at me - no other pictures anywhere...just that beautiful one. I immediately heard that silly voice in my head:

"...Alright! You found me! 'bout time!...".

YIKES! I need another cat like I need a hole in my head! I closed down that noisy window! ...but...I had it reopen within the hour.

"...Hi Again! Left in a hurry last time..."

Dang noisy window....I shut it down again...

..but I knew without a doubt it was another case of "meant to be". I showed him to hubby, instead of his normal "pretty cat..." and walk away, he said "where is he?". When I said Virginia, he said "...too far away..". Humm, another huge block in that 'meant to be' wall.

NO NO! I tried to close my eyes to this unfolding, that didn't last long. I emailed Jennifer at DCIN asking about transport thinking "HERE is the roadblock...". Nope, transport paid!

Jennifer emailed Ronda at Fancy Cats...she emailed me...

I said No...

I tried to ignore it all even harder...but found myself looking at his old posts on fdmb realizing I'd seen him before but the time wasn't right for us to connect. Another block in that 'meant to be' wall...

I said NO!!!

After waiting about 2 weeks to let my head talk my heart out of it...didn't work...

I said Yes...

He said "....'bout time slowpoke..."

I said "Welcome HOME Sweet Boy..."

======

Here's pics:

The first one that grabbed my heart:

[​IMG]

Even likes to sleep on his back - belly rubs appreciated!

[​IMG]

The next one to capture my heart:

[​IMG]

COMING HOME! He's now in the crate in the back of MY pickup to make the last 2 hour ride home:

[​IMG]

He's now been here 8 days, still in quarantine but baby gates are going up in place of closed door TODAY! SHARE OUR BLESSING! DANCE WITH US! Our hearts are overflowing!

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Dancing with you. How exciting for you and Dakota both. It was just meant to be.

3. mtncat58

mtncat58 Well-Known Member

Super cute,Welcome Dakota =^:^=

4. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Lyresa, I was so happy to see that it was you that grabbed this boy. He is so beautiful.

Wishing you all many happy years.

So, just how BIG is he? He looks, um, large, in those photos.

5. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

dancing_cat ......Dancing with you, Lyresa :RAHCAT

6. Squeaky and KT (GA)

THANK YOU ALL for your visits and welcomes! He's such a sweetheart - 16 pounds of sweet! He probably should shuck about 1.5 pounds of that but he's very big boned too. We're working on that weight loss. He's 22" long from nose to base of tail - LOTS of 'extra sweet'!

BIG HUGS! HIGH FIVES TOO!! We're enjoying the party!!!

7. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

What a wonderful "meant to be" story of destiny. Welcome home, supersweet Dakota, you lucky, lucky boy!!!

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

:RAHCAT Welcome to your furever home Dakota! :RAHCAT

9. katlady1974

katlady1974 Member

CONGRATS to you and dakota!! he's a beautiful kitty!! and certainly sounds like it's meant to be :)

10. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Dakota sure is handsomel and I see why you fell in love with him!
    But I think YOU are incredibly beautiful for taking him into your home! ♡♡♡♡♡

11. Doreen and PeePee

Doreen and PeePee Member

So nice to meet you Dakota! His numbers are pretty good, considering where he came from. I hope they all learn to love each other.! He is a beauty!
    Have a good day!

12. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

what a gorgeous boy. congrats and what a lucky boy you are dakota

13. Sweeties-Mom

Sweeties-Mom Member

flip_cat WELCOME HOME DAKOTA! flip_cat
    What a wonderful tale!
    dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

14. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Oh MORE Dances! THANK YOU!

I'm not an 'Angel' nor am I 'amazing' or any of those wonderful words - the Lord handed me a life that requires I be near my DH almost 24/7. This means I'm at home all the time and CAN care for fuzzy feetz that have medical problems. What I get in return is WAY WAY more than I can possibly ever give. I feel very blessed to be ABLE to do this!

BIG HUGS! YARD DANCES TOO!!

15. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Dakota's New Mama Bean!

It is I, Maui the Magnificent! Do you know what it means to bring home a newbie kitteh?! I bet you don't know and can't even guess! No worries, I am a gonna tell you!

Are you ready?

It means, I, Miss Maui the Magnificent get to hire a new employee! And I have just the perfect uniform, err outfit for Mr. Dakota Kitteh to wear! So Miss Dakota Mama Bean, you do your thang and get him nice and regulated and OTJ and send him to my condo in the Falls, where I have a very fun job waiting for him..... He can wear a lovely orange speedo (I will even have his name embroided in sparkles) and he will become Assistant Cabana Boy II in Training!

Now doesn't that sound like fun! I know he will just love being at my place and working for me. Oooh I can't hardly wait!

Signed Maui the Magnificent, gots lots of lovely uniforms, err outfits for kittehs

16. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi, Dakota! You're such a sweetheart! Enjoy your new Furever Home!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

17. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

We are smilin' and dancin'! Dakota is a very lucky kitty and so handsome. Rusty welcomes him to the over-16-lbs club! (At present Rusty weighs in at 16 lbs., 7.5 oz).

Lyresa, you can say whatever you want, but you ARE terrific!!

Hugs and scritches,

Ella & Rusty (probably more Maine Coon than Norwegian Forest)

18. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

So he's now Dakota "Dakota"? :D :D :D Welcome to your furever home, big guy.
    Liz

19. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

20. I loved reading how you got from "there" to "here" over a two month period. Beautiful story.

"Big boned"? I'm thinking more like "fluffy" ;-)

And in spite of your protests, Lyresa, you are an angel!

Welcome "HOME", Dakota!

21. doombuggy

doombuggy Well-Known Member

Wonderful story - definately meant to be!

22. Simon'sMommy

Simon'sMommy Well-Known Member

This made my heart smile. You are blessed to be his Mommy and he is blessed to have you. Wonderful and happy story. Simon and I are doing the happy dance for Dakota and for you! :thumbup dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat cat_pet_icon

23. Cleo & Jane (GA)

Cleo & Jane (GA) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: The stars have aligned................... :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

24. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

(((((((extra sweet Dakota)))))) welcome home sweet one. You did a great job finding your furever home!!!
    xoxoxo mary and ollie

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What a beautiful and lucky kitty! Congrats!

26. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Oh such a WONDERFUL DANCE we've had today! THANK YOU ALL!

'THE looks were shared today between Dakota and KT/Snow - no one gave any threatening or fear signs. They were 10 feet apart and 3 feet in height but it was a nice '...so THAT'S what's behind that door...' time.

HUGS!!!

27. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

WElcome home, Dakota!​

28. RobinCot

RobinCot Well-Known Member

Welcome Dakota!!! I too got my sugarcat from Ronda at Fancy Cats. She's awesome at providing instruction and has helped me along the way even when I thought I was crazy to take this on. My Snoball is doing great. I am so glad that you have such a huge heart. Ronda told me that she was sending one to OK. He's a very pretty kitty and a fortunate one to have found you.

I have had Sno for about a month and the baby gates really helped to integrate him with my civvies and get cool air into the room. He now roams free when I am home to supervise but returns to his room when he wants to nap. I am just fostering but I dare anybody to try to adopt him before me.

Thanks for introducing us to Dakota!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.