3/18 Shadoe pmps 112 +3~79 +6~77 ultrasound done

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Blue, Mar 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Yesterday’s Condo

Yesterday's recap:
    220 - amps (14L)
    122 - +3
    142 - +6
    223 - +8
    340 - pmps (14L & 0.5R)
    301 - +1
    184 - +2
    158 - +3
    135 - +4
    124 - +5
    128 - +6
    220 - today's amps (full 14L)

So, yesterday was interesting. I worked from home and Shadoe thought it meant I could sit around and give her pats and attention and brushing all day long. All she got was some testing and pats with treats after the tests.

Last nite was pretty quiet with Shadoe; she was fine with the blues again, so the bit of R worked well again.

This morning was also uneventful. Shadoe was very relaxed, fine with the test, fine with the shot while eating and ate about 1/3 of 3oz can. LB had already been visited earlier, so all good in that dept. She knows the carry case so I got completely ready BEFORE going anywhere near the case. I leave it out all the time, so there is no chance of her hiding when I bring it out.

I was at the door when they opened the vets office at 8am. I am always thinking they are going tell me to find another vet because I am likely too forceful for them. Everyone's so laid back and I charge in and ask for the vet tech and start shooting questions and offering Shadoe's ss and verifying what they will be doing.

Today was a vet tech I had not seen so far, poor girl. I confirmed no sedation, advised that Shadoe had received her full 14u dose of insulin today at 6am, and had eaten about 1oz of food at shot time. I said be sure no sedation, and make a note for the u/s guy that we want a full u/s, not just the little part of the abdomen, explaining I want the heart and all organs included, no matter where he finds those organs. She stated the cost may be a bit more, to which I replied SO?? That is what I requested in the first place, so that is what I want. Be very very sure he takes a look-see at the heart because I am not coming back over and over again for bits and pieces. The whole shootin' match now while she is already stressed.
    The poor thing made the error of asking to confirm Shadoe's dose, she asked that's Caninusulin 14u, to which I replied that's not insulin! :shock: It's crap, we tried it and it did nothing - look at her ss! So no, Shadoe gets Lantus, but we are switching to Lev this weekend. She really looked clued out about the insulins - how sad is that! I will have to ask the dental vet how much is known about other insulins used for cats and also what is known about acro and any other conditions associated with FD.

Speaking of stressed (my normal state these days), I will go back before the u/s guy arrives to drop off Shadoe's meter; I want her tested before they start, when they are done/before I leave the vets office, and then I'll test her again when we get home. I also want her weighed on their scale.

The front desk personnel were so blasé today; I said I will leave but will be back to wait so that I can be there for questions and take her home asap. The guy's response was I hope you brought a good book. I was so angry(2)_cat that I bit my tongue - I didn't think he would like to hear what I had to say to him at that time. Let's just say that he dodged a bullet. They MUST find me annoying, because I find me annoying!

I also need to speak with the vet doing the dental tomorrow morn because I have a list of do's and don't's for her, just to be sure we have no surprises. She is my very favorite vet there, so I know she will be doing a good job.

I just want to be sure she knows my concerns about things like metacam and IV vs gas, etc. After all, if you don't say a thing about your preferences, then you never know what will be done.

I need to go and make some lists; it will help me relax haha_smiley

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Re: 3/18 Shadoe amps 220 ultrasound day

Wow! I hope you get some good results today.

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Good morning Gayle
    What a beautiful night for Shadoe again and look at that AMPS.
    She is really doing well at the dosing you have been doing.
    Sending good u/s vines for Shadoe and hoping they get some
    really terrific pictures of all her pretty organs.
    Update us how she is afterwards.

4. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I used to do the same thing with Morris so he wouldn't run and hide. My other cat, Gizmo, would hide under the bed and I had to take the mattress and box spring off to get at her.

Yeah, every vet I ever talked to knew nothing about Lantus or Lev. Sometimes if you call it glargine or detemir they relate better to it.

Haha, that's funny...I felt the same way. I'm surprised that more people don't question what the vet does, just blindly follow their directions. Don't they know that there are as many bad vets as there are bad doctors (if not more!!!) I guess for some ignorance is bliss...none of those people are on FDMB though.

Thanks so much for your post on my "Angel" post...I think of you guys often too and check in from time to time.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Good to hear you are starting Lev this weekend. Lorna and I are writing a paper on high dose cats using Levemir, should be finished in a few days. :)

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

lol, you crack me up, you're so prepared and take no crap - gotta love it!

Will be thinking of you and hoping for good vet visit, for you and Shadoe :D

7. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

I don't think you're annoying, I think you are a very proactive momma bean!!!

Easy U/S vines for Shadoe and hears to no surprises.

8. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hope all will be well with Shadoe! Never take crap from these vets or anyone else when it comes to your furbaby!!
    Sending positive U/S vines today! HUGS to all of you~!

9. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Beautiful cycle last night. Hope the u/s goes well and you don't have to go postal on anyone! :lol: If it's any consolation, Logan's vet (internist) HATES me! Everyone at that vet's office HATES me. I think I have a flag that states I'm a royal PITA and also a you know what. :lol: Whatever it takes to keep our babies safe. We're not paying them to like us.

10. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Hello,Gayle!
    Just stop to check on Shadow and You!
    Hope everything went well with ultrasound. Wait for update!

11. Patricia&Brownie

Patricia&Brownie Member

I think your idea of making a list is great - then leave a reminder note with them tomorrow am - like no metacam, just bupe, no ketamine, just isoflurane, check bgs, etc. Good luck - we'll be sending good dental vines your way...

12. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Re: 3/18 Shadoe amps 220 ultrasound results

The results are in. Everything is A-OK but I had to get the guy's handwriting translated; I think he must have written this thing with his feet.

All A OK with the u/s. phew, I am relieved. The last scribbled line says NO HCM or DCM, I think.
    Ultrasound:
    Normal liver size and parenchyma.
    Normal spleen and omentum.
    Normal right and left kidneys.
    Normal bladder and retroperitoneal space.
    No mesenteric lymph node masses.
    Thorax:
    Normal septal and left ventricular walls.
    Normal left atrium with no thrombus.
    Doppler shows NO mitral or tricuspid regurgitation.
    Conclusion: Overall normal thorax, cardiac and abdominal sonograms.
    HR = 180 bpm
    No HCM or DCM.

Left Ventricle:
    IVSd: 6.2 mm
    IVSs: 10.3 mm
    EF: 82%
    PW%: 62%
    LVDd: 11.7 mm
    LVDs: 6.2 mm
    FS: 47%
    LVM: 1 g
    PWd: 7.2 mm
    PWs: 11.7 mm
    S%: 67%

Aorta/Left Atrium:
    AOD: 7.6 mm
    LA: 12.1 mm
    LA/AO: 1.59

The images tell me squat but there are numbers above each and words on each:
    Liver normal, Kidneys normal, Spleen Mesentery normal, and Bladder few debris.
    There are two cardio images and one has the 180 BPM on it.

So, is that good or what? If you don't know what the numbers should be, then someone can say oh sure, it's all good! And you say, umm, 'kay thanks!

Shadoe is really really happy to be home. I took her meter to use for them to test, and also left a can of food. They opened it and she refused to touch it; she just turns to stone and sits like a lump. The vet techs love her cuz she is no problem at all; she just stares at them with her big eyes. So when we got home, she was ready to eat the food before it was even out of the can!

I just got a call from the vets - I demanded that someone call me before her shot tonite at 6pm and tell me what to shoot tonite and in the morn.
    I was advised to go with 10u tonite and zero in the morning.
    Sound OK?

And now we are both tired and she is napping. I'll do the same after her pm shot.

13. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great report and that both Mama and kitty earned a wonderful nap.
    So glad that's over with and on to te next excitement.

14. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 3/18 Shadoe amps 220 +7 ~254 ultrasound done

Gayle:

I'd suggest you post the U/S results on Health and PM Jess to take a look. Jess specializes in cardiology so she can definitely give you info on the cardio end of things. The abbreviation at the end is most likely HCM -- hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (enlarged heart). EF = Ejection Fraction and at least in humans, 82% is a good number. Without doing research, that's as much as I can tell you off the top of my head.

15. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I'm glad the u/s is done. I have no ideas what the numbers mean, but I'm sure someone around here does. I have been without internet for a while, and I can see that I have missed a lot. Congratulations on your impending new parenthood!

16. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I don't know what the numbers mean either, but if they say it's good then I'm happy. :mrgreen:

When do you have to take the food away tonight? 10u is probably good since she won't have access to food all night. Most people either skip or give 1/2 dose on the morning of the dental, depending on the number. If he said skip, he's probably erring on the side of caution. That's good, I think. :smile:

17. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

18. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Libby,
    The vet doing the dental is the nice vet; she has been there for at least a decade and is very good. She told the tech to call me and say 10u tonite and zero in am, but then she called herself after to be sure I got the message and to say be sure no food after midnite, and to confirm what time I would bring Shadoe in. I said I'll grab the first slot so I would be there right at 8am.
    I already battered the tech who will be the surgery tech tomorrow, telling her no metacam, or convenia, and shook my finger at her trying to get away with being vague with me. You mention a/b? What kind? That 14day shot that if it causes a problem, you can't take it back? Is that the one you mean?
    I confirmed what was going to be used for induction and anesthesia, and made sure it was clear that tubing to use should be the same as for a little kitten. She said they would call me when I asked how long did she estimate it would take, to which I replied that she could call me on the intercom as I would be sitting out by their front desk. She said, you know, you should work here! haha_smiley
    I reprimanded her for not giving me a written estimate for the u/s and dental and did not expect to get screwed with verbal quotes; I said go and make one right now and I'll wait, thx. I told her that they messed up what I wanted, and then when I corrected them in the morn, the verbal adjustment she gave me was not what she ended up charging me. We had an argument and I will be sure to complain to the nice vet tomorrow.
    Anyways, she came back with two detailed quotes, one with extractions, one without. I thanked her and signed, then told her to refrain from thinking of messing with me.

Larry, I thank you so much for the site; I will go and scour the numbers now. As Sienne suggested, I sent pm to Jess to look over the numbers if it was not too much trouble.

I think Shadoe's pmps was a nice blue due to joy of being home and having food and all her stuff back. I let her be happy till I give her food at midnite. The morning will not be as rough for this fast because I don't have to give her a shot. She always expects her food right after the shot. This time, I'll test but then no shot and no food.

19. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Glad everything is looking good... and by this time tomorrow the dental will be done and she'll be home wondering what all the fuss has been about.

20. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Really SO thrilled to read those great results on the U/S. Aside from the dental, you've had all the workups done now, right?? Shadoe's numbers are looking much better with the addition of the R...I bet she is feeling lots better too! cat_pet_icon

21. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Shadoe did really well today and so did you, Gayle. It must have been a trying day, but all turned out OK. Good luck tomorrow with Shadoe's dental. We'll be sending good thoughts.

Ella & Stu

22. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

Re: 3/18 Shadoe amps 220 ultrasound results

Hi Gayle

I don't keep all of the "normal" values in my head but from what I can read, the measurements are perfectly normal :)

23. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Awesome! Thanks Jess!

That's one big worry out of the way. Now I just need to figure out how come Shadoe has decided to drop down to 79 even though she got a reduced dose from 14u to 10u.

This week is turning into one of the craziest in some time.

24. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

That's a good question. I'm glad you reduced the dose. :shock:

25. Holly and Pablo

Holly and Pablo Member

Um, this is one of the funniest things I've read in a while. I can just picture you..."Thanks! Oh, and please don't screw with me because I'm going to rip you a new one if you do. K? See you in the morning!"

Glad the ultrasound went well and results are good. What a relief!

26. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Re: 3/18 Shadoe pmps 112 +3~79 +4~108 ultrasound done

wow, gayle, congrats on the normal u/s results!!! very exciting!
    your catching the acro so early will make a huge difference for shadoe.

wish you lived here -- i'd hire you to represent me at the vet!!! :)

27. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Chris, I bet you could be annoying enough to get what you want. All you have to know is the squeaky wheel gets the grease!
    I often think that the on duty draw straws or something to find out who loses and has to deal with me.
    Just don't hold back in what you need to say and get done; they may not like it, but they sure do know that you care and are not going to tolerate their lack of service.

Now can someone tell me what Mz yoyo is doing tonite? I want to go to bed but she keeps popping down into greens. Seriously, I gave her some MC but took out the gravy for later in case I need it, but it looks like she has it backwards. She thinks that eating makes numbers go down :YMSIGH:

Yes, I am thinking that we may have caught Shadoe at the very start of this acro business, so what does that mean with regard to tx? Maybe the insulin will delay any progress to what's eventual with acros?

Bottom line is that I am extremely happy that the u/s found nothing of concern.
    Then we get those choppers all sparkly white so she can greet her new brother Oliver when he arrives. Booboo will hate him but Booboo hates everything and everyone, even me; Shadoe is an exception but only on some days.

Mz :mrgreen: is sleeping so I am off to sleep too. Tomorrow is dental day!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.