5/9 Gobbles PMPS 82 +3 72 +5 59 +12 65

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by TheBowHuntress, May 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo:
    http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=94899

I woke up to Gobbles pathetically meowing early this morning....it was his new "I wanna go outside" routine. He was 81 PM+10.5 and had been 68 at PM+4.5, so I'm assuming his nadir was most likely in the 50s. I fed him 1.5 T. of MC at PM+4.5 and hope he didn't drop too low last night as I never heard the PM +7 alarm nailbite_smile

2. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

Re: 5/9 Gobbles AMPS 91

Good morning guys, what a beautiful surf, way to go Gobbles. Hope you both have a great day,

Kathie

3. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Kat, nice AMPS for Gobbles. How cute he wants to go outside. Once they get a taste of the outdoors and a walk, they really love it. I wish I could take Mags outdoors, but she freaks with a collar.
    Have a nice day.

4. Mary and Stella

Mary and Stella Well-Known Member

Gobbles, the meow alarm needs a break for a day! Hahaha... have a nice day!

5. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Re: 5/9 Gobbles AMPS 91 +2 67

Lookin good, Gobbles!!!

6. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning, Kat......what a wonderful start to Gobbles' day. :mrgreen:

I hope yours is starting out just as nicely. :D

7. TheBowHuntress

Fed 1.5 T. of MC(14%) at +2 since it is so early in his cycle. This seems to be a pattern with him. I am considering a reduction because:

*I'm convinced that if I haven't been steering his numbers with MC, he would have easily have earned a reduction.

*His last reduction was on his AM cycle of 5/6 therefore, today is the 7th cycle of said decrease.

*I've had to steer his numbers a total of 3 times on said decrease.

*He's had his shot time moved by a total of 8 hours (forward) since the decrease and his numbers are not being affected.

It should not be necessary to keep steering his numbers....I'll see how the day plays out :shock:

8. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Hi guys .. beautiful numbers for gobbles, you must be really happy with his progress! have a great day guys!

9. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm looking at your spreadsheet and seeing how often you are steering with food. The first question I asked myself is "Why is she steering with the MC food instead of steering with the LC food first?"

So, same question to you. Why do you start the steering with the MC food instead of the LC food?

10. TheBowHuntress

Because steering him with LC does no good--he plummets! ECID is different; I'm sure there are plenty of owners who steer with LC and if they tried using MC, their kitties would skyrocket. As Gob's Mom, I know what is best for him and what works :D He's only at 54 and it is still early in his cycle; for him, if I fed LC just now, instead of the 1.5 T. on 14% MC he just ate, I'd most likely have a hypo or near hypo to deal with--totally unwarranted and unsafe, in addition to excessive testing :shock:

11. Deb & Wink

Re: 5/9 Gobbles AMPS 91 +2 67 +4 54

Thank you for the explanation. That makes so much more sense now as to why you reach for the MC food first. As you say, ECID, and Gobbles does not react to the LC to push his numbers up.

So Gobbles is not as carb-sensitive as some kitties. I'll remember that for next time and maybe for other kitties too.

Just trying to learn more from all the different condos. Thanks again. ;-)

12. TheBowHuntress

Sure! Gobbles may be one of just a few handful of kitties who aren't very carb sensitive. When he is getting extremely low, there have been a few times when I gave him 3 or 4 crunchy, dry treats to boost the MC, and he still doesn't break 90 :eek:

13. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Hi Kat. Congrats on the reduction for Gobbles. It looks like he's going to spend the day at the Lagoon again. I understand your delemia with feeding LC vs MC to steer his numbers. I have had to do the same with PF the past few days. LC will not prevent him from dropping dangerously low.

Good luck with with the reduction, thank you for your visit and have a great day.

14. Deb & Wink

Ok, You may think this idea is totally crazy, 'What was she thinking suggesting this wacky idea", but here goes.

What if you were to always feed Gobbles the medium carb food? Would that help to keep his numbers on a more even keel? It is a combination of the food we feed, the insulin given, the amount of exercise and a bit of "the twilight zone factor" all balancing together to get the diabetes regulated.

One change at a time. I would not try this if you are also making a dose change. I only suggest this because you also do a lot of testing and can see how the numbers react to a change like this.

Maybe you have already tried this. Maybe you think it is too far out there to attempt. Maybe you want to think about it a little. Maybe you want to get a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th opinion. Maybe you want to know where I live so you can bring the strait jacket. :shock: :eek: :shock:

I'm just thinking outside the box here, and never would have suggested this if Gobbles was as carb sensitive as most kittys seem to be.

15. TheBowHuntress

No, I wouldn't want to try that. And you don't need a straight jacket :lol: I can see that you're trying to help and that is very sweet of you. Thanks :D

I am working on getting Gobbles OTJ. Ideally, I would like for him to eat just LC and not need any insulin. I am going down to .50 dose tonight and see how that works. I would rather not give him the MC, at any time, unless it is warranted by lower numbers and used to steer him. I started taking him outside over a week ago and I think the exercise is helping his numbers stay low.

BTW, how is Wink these days?

16. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Re: 5/9 Gobbles AMPS 91 +2 67 +4 54 +6 78 +9 81

Wow Kat - Gobbles is doing great!

17. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Look at all that green! How's his tummy been these last few weeks? From what I can see, it looks like you haven't had to give any Pepcid since 4/20, right around when he started his green surf. :thumbup

18. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Great numbers for Gobbles. :mrgreen: Congrats on the reducie.

19. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Hi Kat,
    Another great day for Team Gobbles! whoooo hoooo!!! hugs and scritches to you!!

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Beautiful cycle today, Gobbles!
    Good luck with the reducie. It's a fine line you're walking!

Have a great evening,

Ella & Rusty

21. TheBowHuntress

Tummy has been fine; one soft poo the other day, but not shocking with all the gravy he's had to have lately. I truly believe the ReNew Poo Fairy Probiotic did the trick!

22. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

Re: 5/9 Gobbles PMPS 82 +3 72

Oooo! Have you suggested that to Nikki's Mom? Her cat has IBS of some sort and I wonder if that might help things with them as well?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.