4/8 Jupiter PMPS-263/+2-266/+4-220

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jamie & Jupiter, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jamie & Jupiter

Jamie & Jupiter Well-Known Member

Link to yesterdays condo : viewtopic.php?f=9&t=92735

Day 2 of the increased dose (was 1.75U now its 2U)

Its possible that Jupiter may have eaten a little while prior to AMPS- I leave wet canned food and catsickles out overnight - I have been taking the food away for the 2 hours prior to the shots but was not able to take their food away this morning.

AMPS-334

2. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Re: 4/8 Jupiter AMPS-334

Hi guys .. I hope that jupiter settles into this dose for you today .. It would be nice to see a bit of blue later on .. are you up for it jupiter? have a great day guys!

3. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Morning Jamie,
    I hope Jupiter settles in to this new dose and works it!! Continued good luck with your transition to lower carb foods. That'll help also. Have a great day and sneak in some fun! hugs and scritches from us - mary and ollie

4. Katie & Mego (GA)

Katie & Mego (GA) Member

Good morning Jamie,
    I hope you have a good day with Jupiter. Keep up the good work on the food transition; I know that can be tough but it will be well worth it when you get him transitioned. I hope we'll start to see the blues soon with his new dose. Have a good day and I'll check in later. I'm not feeling much better today but I can't just sleep it away today; I've got so much to do! ohmygod_smile

5. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/8 Jupiter AMPS-334/+3-260

Just to be sure about something- is it okay that I am alternating between 2 meters during the day? Is there any reason I shouldnt?

6. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

Re: 4/8 Jupiter AMPS-334/+3-260

doing a great job. I would pick one meter and stick with that. eventhough the ones you are using is pretty comparable, it is best to use one at a time. you can alternate after yourun out of strips, then use those strips then go back to your main meter ect KWIM

7. Jamie & Jupiter

Re: 4/8 Jupiter AMPS-334/+3-260/+7-246

Can these higher numbers still be new dose wonkiness?

Is it necessary for me to test his Ketones soon? I have never tested his Ketones yet. I have read (in other peoples posts) a few things about testing Ketones if the BG has been high for a while. I really dont know much about ketones at all (even what it is or means). I dont know how to test Ketones either but thought that maybe this is something I should ask about.

8. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Re: 4/8 Jupiter AMPS-334/+3-260/+7-246 & questions plz

Hi Jamie, I wouldn't worry too much about the dose just yet. This is only your 2md cycle, and by the looks of your SS, you're still trying to determine the best dose for Jupiter. We go up slowly and hold the dose for at least 6 cycles to give the insulin a chance to get into the depot and to start working. It may very well be that this dose won't be enough for him, or it could just be that his body hasn't had time to adjust.

As far as ketones, you can get ketostix from your local drugstore or Walmart. Ketostix is a brand made by Bayer, but there are others out there. We use ketostix, but others on the board use Relion's brand. They are urine strips that you use to detect the presence of ketones. A ketone test checks for ketones in either blood or urine. They are substances that are made when the body breaks down fat for energy. Normally,the body gets the energy it needs from carbohydrates in the diet. But stored fat is broken down and ketones are made if body can't use blood sugar (glucose) properly. There are some glucometers that will accept ketone strips to test in the blood if you have a hard time getting a urine sample. I use a big soup spoon that I stick under Kismet when he starts to urinate.

9. Jamie & Jupiter

I dont think Jupiter will use the litter box if I am in the same room - he doesnt even like to use the litter box if another cat is in that room. What kind of glucometers accept ketone strips to test in the blood? Where would I buy something like this?

Thanks for your reply.

10. Courtney and Kismet

Courtney and Kismet Well-Known Member

Hi Jamie, I don't know about the blood ketone strips, I've only ever heard them mentioned. You could try running a search on the board, or post in health for suggestions. Unfortunately, none of the ReliOn meters accept ketone strips, but if you google ketone blood strips, you should be able to find some meters that do. The thing is that the ketone blood strips are pricey, or that's what I've heard, anyway. And you would need to buy a compatible meter...

Another option for collecting urine -- you can fill Jupiter's LB with fish tank gravel (since it's not absorbent) and then dip the strip directly into his box after he goes. You can also try seeing if you can test his urine directly in the litter that you use. What you would do is put a little bit of water on his litter and then test it. If the strip changes color, you'll know that this is not a reliable form of testing. If it doesn't change color, than you can try waiting for him to use the LB, and then stick a strip in the wet litter.

11. Jamie & Jupiter

I have 3 cats that share the same box. Jupiter is really picky and if I change the litter (use a different kind/brand) I am afraid he will pee on the floor. I will look into get ketone test strips so I can test his blood.

12. Jamie & Jupiter

A little bit lower numbers this evening. Hoping to see some blue numbers tomorrow am.

13. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

The blood ketone meters are great but the strips are cost prohibitive to test as often as you need to. The cheapest I've found is $25 for a box of 10. You should be testing ketones every day. I don't know accurate it is but I've heard some people say they stick the strip in the urine clump after the cat leaves the box. I don't know if there is anything in the litter that could affect the results.

I would also not be switching meters. Some of them can read quite differently. I'd pick one and stick with it unless you need a backup.

Hope you are feeling better. Hope this dose starts working!

14. Jamie & Jupiter

Do you know where I can purchase the testing strips at? I know they are more expensive but it may be the only way to test his ketones because I dont know if I will be able to get urine from him and I definately want to get an accurate reading.

15. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

You can get the meter with glucose and ketone strips at American Diabetes Wholesale

I'd probably use your current meter for glucose testing and keep the other for ketones.

16. Kristina & Charlie :)

Kristina & Charlie :) Member

Hey Jamie, I went to Walgreens Pharmacy and had to ORDER Keto-Diastix. They were like 17.99...I haven't used them yet. Just google Keto-Diastix so you can see what the box looks like. They test for keytones and glucose.
    Good luck getting the pee!!!
    I need to try soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.