drawing up insulin/bubbles

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jodi & Jasmine, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jodi & Jasmine

Jodi & Jasmine Member

Hi all, I am still having difficulty drawing up insulin and not getting bubbles. I started Jasmine this morning on Lantus (switching from Caninsulin) and I think I am doing everything correct with drawing up the insulin but I find since I am starting with such a small dose of 1 unit, it seems I can't tap the bubbles out correctly. When I draw up 1 unit, the bubble(s) are big and will not tap out. Any suggestions or tricks?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

It is hard to get rid of the bubbles. What syringes are you using? I find that BD syringes are best for minimizing bubbles.

3. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

I used to press on the plunger before inserting it into the syringe, then draw up more than I needed (usually around 4 units), then draw up some extra air (plunger to about 6 units) then tap the air to the top, then twist the plunger slowly and push at the same time until I got to my dose. Hope that helps!

4. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Heather gave you some good tips (I did that as well) another thing that helps is before you insert the needle into the rubber stopper slide the plunger in and out 2-3 times. The inside of the syringe is coated with a silicon like substance to protect the rubber plunger and make it glide easier, by sliding it in and out a few times you spread that film out inside the barrel and eliminate "sticky spots" where bubbles might form.

Drawing extra air into the syringe after filling it with insulin also lets you collect the small air bubbles into one big one and push it out easier. I always seemed to have one tiny bubble that stuck on the plunger, but since it was usually the case I didn't worry about it too much at least my dose was consistant which is more important than it being an exact amount (precision is more important than accuracy)

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Heather is correct--Use the flick bubbles to the top method, and be sure they go all the way up to the top, then while you are expelling some insulin out, twist the plunger at the same time--It takes some practice, but you do it just like you see the drs. on tv!!--You will get it, just put a little more insulin in to the syringe so you can do it, till bubbles come out--Curse those bubbles :lol: --Good luck!

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.