Are you SURE you are feeding less than 10% carbs?!???

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Wendy&Tiggy(GA), Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

I discovered a few months ago that my "low carb" cat food.. wasnt. So my baby boy came out of remission and I had no idea why. Then I found this forum and someone (maybe Marge, maybe Sienne) told me the new canned food I was feeding 30% carbs!! No wonder i couldnt control the diabetes.. I was giving him insulin to bring the blood sugar down but then his food was raising him up again!

To be successful and stand a chance at OTJ you need to feed your cat LESS than 10% calories from carbs. Thats low carb canned wet food!! I cant say this strongly enough.
    Why? See here http://www.catinfo.org Cat's cant process and arent designed to eat high carb food.. so they get diabetes (ok yes thats very simplistic - just look at the link)

I am pasting Lisas list below of good food choices but for everyone (even old timers) I would advise you check below or check this link - just to be sure!!! Companies change recipes all the time. http://www.catinfo.org/docs/Food Chart Public 9-22-12.pdf.

One last thing - if you are feeding high carb and you make the switch, you may see a sudden drop in blood glucose levels, now, or in a few weeks or over time. So keep testing and be ready to reduce the insulin.

2. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for putting this into one convenient list, Wendy.

Ella & Rusty

3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Thank you! I'm always studying Dr Lisa's list, but this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE help!!!

4. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

what a great list! I've been feeding mocha special kitty turkey and giblets, don't see it on the list here, so hope it's still around 4% if I remember correctly ... nailbite_smile

5. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for this list. SO concise and helpful!

6. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Thanks, Wendy! It's nice to see the "condensed" list. It makes it a lot easier for me to see the carbs and phosphorous levels together, especially now that Spot was Dx'd as a CKD kitty.

7. Wendy&Tiggy(GA)

Wendy&Tiggy(GA) Well-Known Member

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Thank you for posting this. I just checked Blackie's food on the list, which is Evo 95% Chicken & Turkey. According to Dr. Lisa's list, she lists it at 2%. All in all, it's doing wonders for Blackie as I'm able to reduce each week so far. Now... to keep her from licking the floor... :lol:

9. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I am blessed to come across this :D
    Baby, Sadi & I thank you so very much.

10. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey,
    Thanks Wendy!

This is Shadow's shopping list.

We find that Nature's variety ( rabbit too) seem to be really true to the numbers.
    And we eat a lot of that brand and the Purina One ( trying to keep from phosphorus being a future issue )

I thought everyone had seen this numerous times by now but it sure is handy for printing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.