3.5 Magnolia PMPS 71

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sara & Magnolia, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

WCR: All's well. 5 P's are back. The only thing missing...she isn't speaking to us. She hasn't meowed since the dental. Any thoughts on when to cut the bupe? She doesn't seem to be in pain, but I don't think she really shows her pain. She has had 5 doses of bupe so far.

She is eating HC. I'll test again in 30 minutes.

Yesterday's Condo

Yesterday's Recap
    AMPS 217 (1ml clavamox +2.5)
    +3.5 145 (.2ml bupe)
    +5.5 78
    +8 79
    PMPS 87 (1ml clavamox)
    +1 119
    +2 88
    +3.5 69 (.2ml bupe +3.5)
    +5 45
    +5.5 50
    +6.5 41
    +7 94
    +10 63

2. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Re: 3.5 Magnolia AMPS 53, +1 76, +2.5 41

I guess she feels the 41 speaks for itself. I hope she's feeling better really soon.

3. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS!!!! Oh so beautiful!! :RAHCAT flip_cat :RAHCAT
    These dentals really do wonders for the cat(even if they arent speaking to us), as far as the numbers go!!
    We are so worried, but the final outcome is almost always positive--
    Come on Magnolia, speak up!!! Bupe does make them sleepy & sedated..Hope she's up & active tomorrow--HUGS!!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sara:

I think I stated cutting Gabby's bupe back a bit by Day 2. You're right - cats do not show pain like we would expect. They tend to compartmentalize or hide it well. I can't remember when Magnoliz had the dental but I know it's been a couple of days (2 or 3?). If she's eating well, since eating would be one way she might show that she''s in pain, It's probably find to start cutting the dose back.

5. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

I can't offer any advise on pain killers however, I do see that Magnolia is rockin the greens!

6. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

She IS waltzing with mr green.

I decided to give the bupe, but 3 hours late, and I don't plan to give it tonight. She is eating ok, but not great. I think part of that is from the bupe, she's all sleepy and not interested in eating...vicious cycle! It's been 3 days since the dental. They gave me enough for 10 doses, 5 days. I guess I'll see how she is later.

7. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Re: 3.5 Magnolia +2.5 41...+11 65 PM dose question

I have a question about shooting tonight. I felt ok shooting the 53 this morning because she earned a dosecrease last night, and I thought it wouldn't drop her, but she still stayed low today and earned another dosecrease.

Even if she is low tonight, do I still shoot the new dosecrease of 3.25? We decrease in increments of .25 to shield the pancreas from steep drops, weening it from the insulin, right? So even if she is earning a dosecrease each cycle, it's ok, and I should still stick to the increments of .25?

I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.

ETA: Today's recap so far:
    AMPS 53
    +1 76
    +2.5 41
    +3 50
    +4 98
    +6 75
    +7 59
    +9 60
    +11 65

8. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

BUMP FOR DOSE Q

hi Sara!

just bumping u up

Magnolia is doing awesome!!

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

even though you shot the new dose this morning, this dose was still carrying shed action from last night. Normally we don't reduce again the very first cycle of a dose reduction, because the old shed is still so strong (when you reduced the dose, you reduced the size of the shed, so the excess insulin that the shed doesn't need anymore is being used in the cat instead of hanging out in the shed). I would hold the 3.5 dose, but if she goes low again tonight then you might need to decrease again in the morning. Make sense?

And in answer to your other question, 0.25 decreases work best in most cats. Sometimes we'll do a skinny reduction instead, especially if they are earning a lot of decreases in quick succession. Sometimes that backfires, too, because when you're just skinnying doses instead of full reductions, it is easy for that depleting shed to get ahead of you. At some point you might find that you reduced too much because you were reducing based on shed action, then you have to go back up again.

10. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

OOOOOOOH! I didn't know this! I have done it before, decreasing the first cycle after a decrease. It does make sense. Thanks!

I'll stick to the 3.5 and see where she goes tonight.

11. Sara & Magnolia

Sara & Magnolia Member

Her appetite is definitly not so good tonight. Maybe she still needs the pain med.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.