3/5 Putty AMPS 456

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Miriam and Putty (GA), Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8059

I had such a hard time writing this number and seeing the red on his ss. In the year and a half that Putty has been dx with FD he has never, ever been this high. I am very worried about him. He did not go very low yesterday that would cause a bounce to red.
    He had bloodwork done about a month ago and it was fine. He had a dental a year ago but only needed a cleaning which I will schedule another one. The vet looked in his mouth and said I could schedule a cleaning but other than that his mouth looked good.
    He is so lethargic when he is pink now he very lethargic.
    Sorry to rant but I am very worried. :cry: Most p's seem to be fine.

2. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Good morning,Miriam!
    Jeez,i couldn't believe it when I saw that #! Do You think that 'polite' Putty get into some ilegal food? (dry,human food,bread?)
    Keep an eye on this.
    ((((hugs))))0

3. JaniceandSpike

JaniceandSpike Well-Known Member

Do you think the old pen pooped out? Other than lethargic how is he feeling and his 5'ps. Is he purry when you talk to him and pet him? Give the new pen a chance and see if it makes a difference. I know you're very worried...hang in there.

4. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Oh Mr. Putty! What are you doing up there???? That number isn't a polite number, at all!

I hope you see a significant decline today it was some random number and he starts acting himself again.

5. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Please try a new pen--It doesnt seem to point to anything else, as just yesterday Putty was hairdressing--Never saw Putman so high- confused_cat
    You come down from there Putty--we wuvs you!!

6. Miriam and Putty (GA)

I did start a new pen from a new box Wednesday night.

7. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Miriam))) I wonder if he might need to see the vet. High numbers could be due to a urinary tract infection. The lethargy could result from that as well (though I think you feel that it is directly related to the high number). You said P's were fine, so it sounds like his appetite, drinking, and urination are all normal? That's a good sign. I might just be tempted to get him checked out if the high numbers persist. (((Putty))).

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Miriam and Putty))) :YMSIGH:
    No way to begin the weekend.. but maybe it will clear soon? Hopefully :?
    For now it is just a #, nothing appears to be wrong -- maybe you are in store for a beautiful day & an even better weekend?? Wishing you both & cheering you on...

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Shadow beat him with a PMPS of 469 last night! :eek:
    Believe me, I know how you are feeling!!!!
    All day yesterday, Shadow had Pinks and Reds....I almost died!! He went down to 199 this morning....

What I did was change pens, but you already did that...then, I gnashed my teeth which you are already doing...
    and then I waited. That is what you are doing right now.

So, you know that the blood work is ok. That is important.(Shadow just had work done too so I was wondering if he got an infection since that blood was drawn....)

Sometimes, a lot of the kitties do something similar....low numbers that day or high numbers. But without any reason, they all seem to do that...have you noticed that?
    Is there more out there that we don't understand and things that we haven't even thought of yet that might influence them?

Keep an good eye on him Miriam...which is what you are doing. I think he will come down soon just as Shadow has done....that is my hope anyway...(Shadow went to 68 the day before...not a number that should cause such a high bounce...just can't figure it out!!!) :roll: 469 for PMPS last night :eek:
    ((Miriam)) This is an awful feeling....seeing those ugly nasty horrible disgusting numbers.... grr_red

10. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

I'm sorry Miriam. Maybe it's time to see if Jojo would help you with a custom plan.

11. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hey Putty, come down from that red!! (But don't overdo it like I did yesterday!)

Stu

Hi Miriam, I hope that Putty will indeed come down and act his normal self later today. Maybe the new cartridge is a bad one? It might be worth opening another one this evening just to see if the numbers change. Don't get discouraged. Thank you so much for your help yesterday.
    Ella

12. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: Mariam :YMHUG:
    cat_pet_icon Putty cat_pet_icon

Thinking of you two, as things hopefully resolve soon. I know its so hard and feels so helpless to see these numbers,almost out of the blue. :sad: The higher numbers affect Latte's spirit and energy as well, which makes it even tougher to watch.

Sending positive energy vines to bring Putty down to a better place....and some left over for momma bean to cheer her up! :mrgreen:

13. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Aw, Miriam, I'm sorry. And I'm no expert at interpreting ss numbers. But I did see that he had two low nadirs yesterday so maybe this IS a bounce? Whatever it is, I hope it's gone soon!

14. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Re: 3/5 Putty +1 407 +3 302 +4 299

I have been feeding Putty mini-meals this morning to keep him coming down slowly.
    Putty has an appointment with the vet tomorrow morning.

Other than checking for a UTI anyone have any other suggestions as to what I should ask the vet to check?

I just wanted to add that Putty is not unusually lethargic.........this is how he gets when he is in high yellow and up. cat_pet_icon

15. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Miriam,I think that he is just rebounding and You gonna see bloo pmps.
    I bet with all i have !

16. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Miriam
    I acnnot offer any opinion as to why Putty was so high this morning.
    Those numbers are not easy to take, especially when you are not used to them.
    I am glad to see that he is coming down nicely so far.
    Hoping he settles back down and that this was a glitch.

17. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Putty +1 407 +3 302 +4 299

When the vet checks for UTI, make sure he does a cystocentesis (needle in the bladder) for a sterile draw. Maybe recheck his CBC, renal values, and thyroid? Putty doesn't show symptoms of pancreatitis, but maybe you could consider the fPLI test for pancreatitis (Putty should fast at least 8 hours for this test, if you do it). Recheck the teeth, temperature, anal glands. Palpate abdomen for any signs of constipation or discomfort.

18. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Heh. Linda covered what I was going to say, but since I had it all typed up, I'll paste it anyway :razz:

Ouch! I winced when I saw the BG. (((Putty))) (((Miriam)))

We just had routine b/w run this week, and these are the tests we ordered (most are routine for us 'cept for the thyroid panel): CBC, Superchem, T4 and free T4 by Equilibrium Dialysis. We use Antech Labs; if your vet uses Idexx, may be different names.

I don't know if 7-y.o.'s can be hyper-T, seems young? Check with Jojo?

Most of Meowzi's WBC counts came back in very very suspicious range, as did some pancreas and liver values, so I *think* we may be on to a reason for her pinks - I'm waiting for Jojo's thoughts.

Not saying it's the same for Putty, but if you're going in, may as well rule out what you can, right? For UTI, I would ask for a cysto (don't waste your money on a free catch sample) and C&S.

He's not a CP kitty, is he? Everything ok with appy and on the letterbox end?

19. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

((((Miriam))) This is hard.

If you even think hyperT is an issue, check Caryl & Alex's condo. Carolyn is working with them on hyper-T control today.

Is there any chance Putty is in pain? Did he fall, maybe? Any limps?

I am sending bundles of healing vines your way.

20. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Miriam))) I don't like to see Putty in red either. I hope he comes down soon. Linda and WCF already covered what to have the vet check for.

Get down from there Putty, that is not a polite number.

21. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

Oh Gosh! This is not a number I associate with Putty!
    I know you're worried...
    (((Miriam))) and (((Putty)))

22. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

My head and my heart ache for you.
    Hope the vet can figue it out.
    (((Miriam and Putty)))

23. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed that he's not developing some sort of resistance. Seems like something has flared up. He does still get some nice numbers, but it's not like him to bounce from them.

((( Miriam ))) I really feel for you, and for Putty.

24. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Re: 3/5 Putty

Just a thought - if the vet doesn't find anything, I wonder if a change in insulin would be more to his liking? Maybe a question for Jojo.

25. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

(((Miriam)))) (((Putty))))
    ouch is right. I'm sorry about Putty's AMPS number and his not feeling 2-thumbs-up-top-drawer. Looks like you are getting good input from the ladies on the board. I'm keeping both of you in my thoughts.

26. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

This is so odd! The good news is.....if there is any good news about a red number......he did drop 50 points in the first hour so he's coming down quickly. But geeeeez, a 456?! Hopefully he just got himself into some HC contraband and it's working itself out.

(I wrote this up this morning, but it didn't post, so here it is now....8 hours later :mrgreen: )

27. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

OMG, Miriam...I had to do a double take at this number.
    Not sure what may be going on here, but yep, a trip to the vet is definately in order. Blood work, check out mouth, listen to belly to make sure gurgling noises are being heard.
    I just hope that Putty is just experiencing a huge rebound for some reason. Looks like those mini meals are working as he is coming down slowly, and hopefully by pmps he may be in the blue territory.
    (((Miriam and Putty)))

28. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I nearly fell out of my chair when I saw that AMPS (and I'm at a conference). I couldn't pull up Putty's SS on my phone so I wanted to wait until I could take a look. There's a possibility that this is a very hard bounce from the 50s yesterday. It's an unusual bounce for Putty, but it's certainly a possibility. It could also be a high before a break.I know you've been through a bad batch of Lantus before so from a cost perspective, I hope this isn't the case but it is another possibility. Double check the expiration date on the pen.

I'm glad to see Putty's numbers are coming down.

29. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Glad to see he's coming down--Paws & fingers crossed that our dear Putty comes down to good numbers today-
    ((((((MIRIAM))))))) We all are rooting for you & Putty! HUGS~!

30. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

yuck!

I'm at tbp but will spend some time studying this when I get home. I do notice that he is coming down today, so one hopeful thought is that this could be Putty's famous rev up before a drop. It's higher than usual, though (I hope that doesn't mean he plans to drop lower than usual, yikes!).

I'm glad you have a vet appt. This is not very Putty-like and I know you're worried.

31. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Re: 3/5 Putty PMPS 283

PS 456
    +1 407
    +3 302
    +4 299
    +5 302
    +8.5 294
    PMPS 283

I poked him more today than I do when he is in the 30's because I really wanted to see the red go away. I appreciate all of the feedback and support and I am so sorry to be a downer ( not usually me) but I am feeling defeated. I cried when I saw that red number this morning.......I am so frustrated that I cannot even get Putty close to being regulated after a year. I know I don't have any control over his pancreas and liver but I feel frustrated not being able to help him. He is only 6 years old.
    Should I be trying a different insulin?

For those of you that are new Putty was dx Aug. 22, 2008. He went OTJ after 24 days on Lantus. He was OTJ for 4 months. Although I have always tried to be sure his health, happiness and being loved were most important I would be lying if I said OTJ wasn't in the back of my mind. Now I wish I could just have him be better regulated. cat_pet_icon

32. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Hey Miriam, do you always shoot him in the same spot? Have you tried alternating spots? Cagney used to (maybe still has) sections that are closed for repairs.

33. Miriam and Putty (GA)

CF.....I do move around with his shots and I have told DH to do the same thing since he is the morning shooter.

34. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Glad to see his numbers are better now Miriam....
    Is he acting any better? I do hope that this is not an indication of anything...but then again, it is good to have the home testing so we can see if there is possibly an infection going on.
    I hope he isn't acting as lethargic as he was earlier....good luck at the vet's...that is the best thing to do...

35. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((miriam)))
    i feel your frustration. maybe it is time to try levemir to see if another insulin will help, but before that... let's see what the vet has to say. also, contact jojo. the last time she and i had a powwow about putty, we talked about trying food manipulation first to see if that made a difference. we also talked about the possibility of shooting smaller doses tid rather than bid to try to get some consistency. looks like it's time to try something different...

36. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Re: 3/5 Putty PM +2.5 194 +4 110

This is much better.
    Thank you Jill.

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

that's much better!
    hope you have a good visit with the vet tomorrow...

38. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

oh, my, that is much much better. Thank you putty for giving us some blues today!

39. Michelle and Doodle

Michelle and Doodle Member

much better!

glad to see him back down!

40. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Miriam,
    When I first saw the subject - Putty and a 400 number - I thought hey that is interesting! A new kitty with the same name as our Mr. Polite Putty.
    To my shock I come in and find it's our Putty :shock:

I start reading down and down, thinking come on Putty get down right now mister!

Phew, what a relief to see he's come to his senses and returned to a decent number.

I hope the vet visit goes well, and get everything checked that was suggested, and ask if there is even more worth checking.
    I don't know about you, but I always take a huge hulking list of stuff that people suggested be checked and I ask about each item.

I am hoping that Putty was just having a bad start to the day and maybe a huge bounce like was mentioned.

Come on Putty, you know that those numbers feel horrible.

41. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad I came back to take a look. Much, much more Putman like numbers.

42. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Re: 3/5 PuttyPM +6 60

This is the case of the cat trying to drive the bean crazy........and the cat is doing a great job. dancing_cat
    I guess we have seen every color on the ss today.
    I do expect a very big bounce from this lovely number........I will be prepared.

43. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

sheesh!

Yes, I've had Putty's SS open on my desktop all evening and I look at it between others'. No, I still don't really know what to say. I'm glad Jill and Jojo are talking, they'll come up with some ideas, I'll bet. I'm glad Putty got back to green!

44. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Re: 3/5 Putty PM +6.5 70

Ni-ni.....thank you LL friends for all of your support today. The pity party is over for now. ohmygod_smile

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.