3/4 Logan AMPS 351, PMPS 361

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7979

Nothing new to report - Logan is the same ol same ol Logan. He's eating well right now - on day 2 of the stimulant. He can have it again tomorrow night.

I did speak to his internist yesterday...it's pretty obvious that she is clueless as to why he's so resistant to the insulin. She doesn't think it's the TMP. She's now telling me that it could be stress. Stress from pilling and stress from me testing too much. She's suggested that I not test except for curves on the weekend. Yeah, ok. Since he purrs through the testing (and we test less than we did months ago when we saw some action) I'm pretty sure that's not the issue! She's also peeved at me for upping his dose before waiting a week. He was at 400 three nights in a row! I'm so sick of vets. I just don't know where else to take him at this point. I could take him to the vet school at NC state, but that's 4 hours away.

For now, I'm going to do this her way but only b/c I'm willing to wait and see if we get improvement after we discontinue the ABs and decrease the pred again. The ABs were supposed to be over a week from tomorrow but she wants us to go another week. We'll decrease the pred to every other day in about 3-4 more weeks.

Since Logan's ears were looking so awful, we did decide to cut back on the mid-day checks for the rest of the week. He's not budging, anyway, so I don't think we'll miss anything! We'll do a curve this weekend to prove to Ms I know jack sh*t about diabetes that he's not getting too much insulin!

Sorry - I'm just beyond frustrated with everything. I'm going to try and pony up the cash for a consult with Dr Lisa. See if she has any thoughts on what's going on with my boy.

2. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Kelly & Logan))) :YMHUG:
    Unfortunately I do not have any answers or advice.. but I am droppin thru to show encouragement & support.
    Logan is blessed to have you & you are doing all you can... sometimes things work out when they are meant to & not in our time :YMSIGH:
    Cheering you both on.... feeling frusturated is expected :sad: but hang in there... things will turn around, I know that like I know my name! :mrgreen:

3. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Kelly
    I know exactly how you feel. I have gone through 4 vets so far and now I am vetless.
    Everyone tells me to stop testing, it stresses them out.
    vet # 2 told me to stay at the 5u that I was back in Jan and only test him on weekend curves.
    Vet # 3 told me to bring Max from 5.5 to 6.5 at one time
    Vet # 4 told me to stay on 5.5 for 2 weeks.

Guess what. I listened to none of them. I have followed protocal since we started in Nov at 1u and worked our way to 6u.
    Now look at Max, Just in a not even 2 weeks he is hitting greens on doses that he was previously on and showed nothing.
    Remember, you sometimes have to go up to come back down. Just .25 of insulin made a huge difference for Max. You just don't know when it will hit Logan.
    Plus he has had his surgeries, his IBD, his medications so....hang in.
    Go look at Max's ss. It will make you feel better, and I hope I did to.

Oh and BTW, I also came back from vet #2 and promised myself I would ease up on the testing.
    It lasted a day, lol. I could not stand not knowing and Max comes running for his shot and waits for me. Don't tell me Oh because he is getting treats. Honestly, tose dried up chicken pieces can't be that good.
    Hugs to you and my sweet boy Logan, okay.

4. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

kelly, just a suggestion... with the high flat curves you're seeing i would go ahead and take the dose up to 5.5 units bid if last night's and today's numbers have pretty much been the same as what you've been seeing(ss needs updating). logan needs more insulin...

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Kelly - you have been a rock through all of what Logan has been through. Do not let the vets and what they don't know get under your skin. The IM vet may be good, in fact, great with regard to some of Logan's care. It's not possible for her to be at every area of internal medicine. If you think about all of the specialties that fall under IM, it stands to reason that no vet or physician can know everything -- although many think they do. The reality is that you have been eating, breathing, and living with Logan's FD for some time. You probably are far more knowledgeable about FD than your vet. I suspect if she had a diabetic cat at home and did the home testing, she would realize that our cats are not stressed by our testing. A vet's baseline is the kitties that are stressed by being at their clinic and who don't want to be tested by some scary stranger.

A consult with Dr. Lisa sounds like a great idea!

6. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi - cannot offer any advice, but so share your frustration. So much I could say, but I think the others already have. My guy has been diabetic for close to two years now, we've only been involved with the board here since November. I have had more progress here in a few months than I did for the year and a half prior with my vet's office. They are great people, but they just do not understand diabetes, how to effectively use Lantus, how it all ties in with so many other things.

I liked what Randi wrote about testing too much. Mannie comes and gets me for his - without fail: never flinches, always purrs, and it's not the treats - mannie usually takes off before I can even get the tuna flakes out of the jar.

Logan has been though so much, and I don't believe that he could have a better mama than you. You have an amazing kitty - your support of him is amazing. hang in there - it will all come together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.