10/6 Reuben PMPS 247 +1/232

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Alexa and Reuben, Oct 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexa and Reuben

Alexa and Reuben Well-Known Member

Yesterday

Reuben is on the terrace! This, after so long only on the credenza, not even letting me hold him. Wow! What happened was, his little tummy was upset and he was about to hurl so I picked him up and took him to the garden so I wouldn`t have so much clean up. When he was done the garden interested him, especially the grass which he ate, and then threw up again of course. When he was done with all this he was a new cat and ran up on the terrace! We just did the test and shoot up there in the sun. Syringe fed LC breakfast. His tummy must still be upset.

Thank you so much Wendy, Tamara, Roni, Melanie and Rhiannon for your visits after we went to sleep last night - it just makes all the difference to wake up to such lovely messages!!

Ongoing Medications:

**Potencil 50mg bid (need to switch to clavamox)
    pepcid 2.5mgbid
    bupe - none yesterday
    miralax - none yesterday
    forti flora
    platinum performance

** reduced for 5 days than suspended for 48 hours to see if he still needed it; restarted 2 days ago: 4 doses again so far

2. Alexa and Reuben

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66

Syringe fed mc/hc after +1/66. Testing in 20 or 30 minutes

3. Alexa and Reuben

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66 +1.5/43

2 tsp HC syringe fed after +1.5/43, testing in 30 min

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good catch.

I think we'll need to see what happens this cycle. I don't know if the drop in numbers is due to Reuben's not having much food in his system. However, he did start off in low blue numbers so it may be worth taking the reduction.

5. Alexa and Reuben

+2/31

he's not responding to LC. I just gave him 1/2 teaspoon honey, testing verrry soon. i don`t like this

Edited to correct: I meant to say 'he's not responding to HC (not LC) -- I was nervous when I wrote this and wrote the wrong letter :p

6. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66 +1.5/43 +2/31

You've got this, Alexa. Great catch.

I'm with Sienne. This is the low 30s... I think trying the reduction is well worth a try.

Keep posting - standing by for your BG update!
    Hugs
    Jane

7. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Sweety, it's ok. No need for 911. I'm with you. Sienne may be at work but if you like I will try to gt in touch with her. We're here with you. You'll be ok. Any BG uPdate?

8. Alexa and Reuben

+3.25/37

jaaaane thank you!! the 911 was just trying to get you to come help. then my internet failed, i just got on again, i don`t know how long it will last

6 point rise in 15 min, that`s 24 an hour, i`ll wait 15 and see if he keeps coming up and decide if i give more

it just freaked me out that nothing i did stopped him from dropping.. didn`t expect that.

9. Alexa and Reuben

i`m going to add honey to hc next time to support the rise, he has to come up and STAY up

10. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

He will come up. He will be fine. You are doing great!

Standing by for your next update :smile:

Hugs
    Jane

11. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Reuben, Dude, eat yer fuds so youse can come up a bit on those numbers. Yer scarin yer momma bean, Bud. Besides, youse needs yer strength to help Queen Shasta with world dominance, k? ~Poopy

12. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

FWIW, I use HC for numbers in the low 40s. Given how early in the cycle you're seeing these numbers, giving a couple of drops of honey or corn syrup, etc., is a good strategy.

The way I look at things is that you need to lean toward the aggressive side when you see fast drops early in the cycle. If you compare that with drops that are later in the cycle when the effect of the insulin is less, it may take lower carb food to bring the numbers back up.

I think you should take the reduction tonight unless Reuben bounces really high.

13. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Anything new BG-wise, Alexa?

14. Alexa and Reuben

Finally got back on, the internet has problems arrgh!

+3/85

whoa! okay, whew. sheeeesh!

15. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Oh boy, I hear you on the internet problems! Happens often down here too :smile:

You did great. I'm glad to read that BG in the 80s!

Sienne makes some great points on being aggressive when catching early fast drops. I know you'll consider those points.

I'm so glad Reuben is ok! And you, too!

Stay vigilant, ok? He might drop again when the sugar bump wears off.

Hugs
    Jane

16. Alexa and Reuben

Okay, so like Sienne says I needed to start using honey sooner on a drop like this. so logical. ohmygod_smile

Now we wait to see
    a) how he reacts to the hc/honey for the rest of the cycle, and
    b) how much he bounces.

he didn`t bounce hardly at all off that 25 if i remember correctly. 2 high blue numbers at AMPS almost a day later was all.

what`s my no-reduce high number for tonight? anything below 150 i reduce for, something like that? just guessing...

17. Alexa and Reuben

Hi jane, sorry, we cross posted!!

the 80's look niiiiice awfully nice now. poor little meeezer!

fast early drops need honey drops!

okay, i haven`t even had any :coffee: yet, i`m going to pour a cup and ponder the morning now.

it`s all good actually, we probably get to reduce! i was wondering how the next reduction-earning scenario was going to look.

looked pretty fancy!!! :lol:

thank you jane, thank you sienne. where would we be without you? :YMHUG:

(i just called the internet provider and there is a problem in the line. 1 to 3 days to fix it. Hoping for one day!)

18. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Hmm. My gut feeling is to reduce unless it's a *serious* bounce. Pink or red. Otherwise, I'd reduce for the next shot. He does a decent job of clearing bounces. And I'd rather reduce the risk of another potentially tricky drop sooner rather than later.

Sienne, what are your thoughts?

You're doing great, Alexa!
    Hugs
    Jane

19. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Well done, Alexa! Jane and Sienne are the bestest! :mrgreen:
    Liz

20. Alexa and Reuben

ohhhh i thought i was sposed ta skeere da bean to help wid da world dominance... haha uuups! i don like ma fuds, i iz not happy wid my fudz. i wants miceys! or da liittle bites slice turkey brests, deyz guud too!!

21. Alexa and Reuben

Thanks Jane, I`ll be ready to reduce barring a crazy high bounce, and be looking for Sienne's 2 cents before hand too.

Liz, thanks for visiting! :mrgreen:

22. Alexa and Reuben

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66 +2/31 +3/85 +4/177 +5/186 +7/

He won`t eat anything I have on hand except turkey ham. How much of that can I give him? Then I guess i go to the store and buy 1 of each of whatever is there in the way of canned food no matter the carbohydrate content and see if anything works. I can buy high quality sliced turkey breast, not the ham stuff, and see about that too.

So the question is: how much turkey ham would you guys let him eat? Because he realllly wants to eat it. So far I have given him maybe a half of a slice. I`m just thinking that right now food, any food, is better than no food....

Backround:
    He has a chronic intestinal infection and always has to be on antibiotic :cry: He was doing so so well last week that I started cutting back on it, and then suspended it altogether for a couple of days, checking to see if maybe his body was so much better that he didn`t have the infection anymore. So, I have the information now: he still has the infection. But, now here we are back at square one again. Well, not square one, but back a few squares.

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66 +2/31 +3/85 +5/186 +7/119 FOO

Generally, you shoot through the bounce (i.e., keep your current dose) if the next pre-shot is above 300 or thereabout. So, I agree with Jane. If Reuben's PMPS is under 300, plan on shooting the reduced dose.

It looks like your +5 is the result of high carb and as it's wearing off, numbers are dropping back down.

If Reuben wanting the turkey ham because it's a treat? It's obviously not a nutritionally complete food. The biggest problem with deli food is that it's usually high in sodium. Also, a lot of the foods have some form of sugar in them. If Reuben is being picky, here are some options that may entice him to eat:

24. Leslie and Jasper

Leslie and Jasper Well-Known Member

Hi Alexa, Wow what a day for you and Reuben, hope you are both more OK now. :mrgreen: You did a great job handling this once again. I hope Reuben likes his reduction.

Reuben, Holy moly cow, deep diving :mrgreen: again already?! I hope you don't make a habit to do this every 3 days, not cool at all. Alexa is taking great care of you, give her a break!

25. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Re: 10/6 Reuben AMPS 116 +1/66 +2/31 +3/85 +5/186 +7/119 +9/

I peaked at your condo from work, but didn't want to get in the way. Congratulations on the reduction!

I take steak (which also isn't a complete food for cats, but hopefully doesn't have the high sodium like lunch meat) and broil it (plain, no seasonings) and then cut it into thin slices for J.D.'s treats. I had to call one lunch meat company once because J.D. was being picky and would eat their roast beef, to see what they contained in "seasonings" to make sure there was no onions or garlic in them. The lady was very helpful and got back to me within the day.

Sending eat your regular food vines to Reuben.

26. Alexa and Reuben

27. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Just remember to take the breading off of the KFC!!

None of this stuff is nutritionally complete so you shouldn't use it on it's own for more than a few days.

28. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Congrats on the Reducie!!!
    And very nice catch today!
    You are getting so good at this. Even if this wasn't your life's goal. :D :roll:

Hope tonite can just be some nice high green surfing!!!

29. Alexa and Reuben

Thanks Sienne! I figured I was going to be enjoying extra breading :razz: I didn`t make it there though, it was raining so hard I only got to the store for more whiskas packets. Tomorrow though!!

Yes, this eating symptom has to be resolved in the next couple of days. I`m thinking a change in antibiotic. I`ll go to the vet on Monday if it`s a low maintenance bg day. This is what happens to him when the intestinal infection gets out of control. He did eat normally last night though, almost a whole can of the lc Friskies. So I`m a confused bean... confused_cat

Rhiannon - thanks! yeah, I hope he surfs with shadow tonight!! :razz:

30. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Re: 10/6 Reuben PMPS 247

As a cat's diabetes gets better regulated, they usually eat less. When the diabetes is out of control, glucose (from the food they are metabolizing) doesn't get into the cells where it needs to go. Rather, it's floating around in the bloodstream. As insulin is working and numbers come down, appetite decreased because the glucose is now able to get into the cells. This may be why Reuben isn't eating as much. As long as he's not losing weight, it should be fine. Is he acting like he's nauseated?

Just out of curiosity, has your vet tried Reuben on metronidazole? It's an antibiotic that is often used for intestinal issues since it is effective on combating anerobic bacteria.

31. Alexa and Reuben

Interesting you mention the metronidazole... I mentioned to the vet last time I was there that I wanted to use it and he said he didn`t like this medicine, that is wasn`t even an antibiotic. I know for a fact that Reuben responds to it, and I`m glad you reminded me about it. I am going to insist this time, and get a scrip. It also combines well with another anti-biotic(s) (I don`t remember which right now) so I can add to it if I need to.

About his appetite -- he is losing weight, and hanging over the water dish sometimes too. And he threw up this morning twice.

What do you make of this delayed bounce? Hmmmm.... And, again, he does not want to eat. I didn`t press the point right now because he`s so high. I`ll test at +1 and figure out how to get real food in him. I also got pressed turkey which he'll probably go for, it`ll be calories at least.

Thank you Sienne!! :mrgreen:

32. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

Since Reuben is liking the deli type meats, there was someone else today.... ( nope can't remember, maybe Muffin and Ann?)
    who found that their cat really liked baby food ( beechnut stage 2, I think) ham. No sugar. no additives.
    I'm going to get some and put it in my cabinet, my girl just loves ham.

I wonder if Reuben, having so much action lately, is getting picky about the low carb stuff since he keeps getting the hc to fight low numbers.
    I hope your vet will give you the drug you want without an argument.
    If not, there are always other vets. ;-)

33. Alexa and Reuben

good point :)

that's great about the baby food -- i remember seeing that today too in someone`s condo (can`t remember either, haha) -- i`ll see if they have it here, fingers crossed!

i wondered also about the possibility of this just being pickiness, but he`s not acting right either, hanging over the water dish...

34. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

The water dish part is suspect.
    Reuben has so many issues combined. I would be wondering if one of the meds or one of the combinations of them makes him
    feel off too.
    I have the 750 piece jigsaw puzzle and you have the 2000 piece or maybe the 3000 piece. :YMSIGH:
    I've never done any really large jigsaw puzzles, never had room to leave them out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.