3/03 Morris AMPS 157; +9 378; PMPS 328; +1.5 261

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gwen and Morris, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7899

I am very glad to see this morning that he ate up all his food again overnight! I am not 100% sure that the mirtz made it down the hatch yesterday, so hopefully this eating business is a sign that he is feeling better!!

I have still been giving him his SQ fluids up until yesterday. The vet & the tech both mentioned to me that if his body isn't using all the fluids, we may still see a bump of fluids under his skin. This has not happened as yet with Morris. Does that mean his body still needs the extra fluids? Should I continue giving them for a few more days? Also, the bag of fluids from the vet says that there is electrolytes in the water....is that important, or could I use regular normal saline?

Better number this morning! I am hoping that it was the hairball from yesterday causing the ugly numbers!

Yes, I am working on getting back to our regular routine of 3-4 tests per day at a minimum. I also plan on doing a full curve either on Sunday or Monday (I have vacation days Mon & Tues next week!)

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 3/03 Morris AMPS 157 - SQ fluids question

You might want to PM some of the beans who give fluids regularly (e.g., Carolyn/Latte) and ask them to stop by your condo or post the question re. fluids on Health. Some of the vet techs who would have more expertise re. fluids are on the Health board more regularly than here.

That red from yesterday looks to be more than a hairball. Any chance you gave a furshot? It looks like you opened a new cartridge on Feb. 1. It's possible that your Lantus is a little toasty and you're getting some inconsistent results.

3. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Thanks for the suggestion Sienne! I have done both!

I guess anything is possible! I do rub his side after giving his shot to make sure there isn't any insulin on his fur, but I could have missed it or something. I will double check the cartridge when I get home today, but I have not noticed any floaties or other indications that the cartridge may be toast. I am planning on doing a FULL curve (defined by substitute vet as testing every 2 hours for a minimum of 16 hours) this weekend (Sun/Mon/Tues) so we will definately get a better picture of what is going on with him then.

4. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Gwen,
    I did SQ for CRF in my civvie so don't have experience with Morris issues but some thoughts for you-

Did your vet give you any sort of time line for ending fluids and need for electrolytes? The comment about the bump and not using all the fluids can also mean a need for less fluid vs. none. Can you do a phone consult with your vet?

5. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 3/03 Morris AMPS 157; +9 378

I called today, but forgot that she was off today (I thought she was off yesterday!). I am also waiting to hear about Morris' results from his labwork we did on the weekend. She does the majority of her phone calls from home & has even called me on her days off, so I am hopeful that I may still hear back from her some time tonight. If not, I will be calling the office first thing in the morning!

6. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Re: 3/03 Morris AMPS 157; +9 378

Hi Gwen,
    I think its best to discuss with your vet a solid time line of how long you should give fluids, then revisit at that date. did they never tell you how long? Latte's fluids are lifelong/daily treatments needed in order to keep her hydrated due to all her health issues. So, I have not really had to make that call.

One thing that may help guide you in your decision is checking hydration, by pulling up the scruff. If it does not bounce back immediately, it could be a good sign of dehydration. If you are unsure how it is suppose to look, the next time you are at the vet have them show you on Morris and assess so you can get a visual of what looks good or what does not.

After you give fluids, depending on how much, the cat, etc you will often see a buldge that goes away as the fluids disperse into the body. If you see that still present when its time for the next dose of fluids you do not want to give them because the other fluids are still not absorbed. If it is not present, its likely it has been absorbed and you are good to go.

Saline will likely sting, and I think is only given under certain circumstances - like a cat with high levels of calcium. A few folks I know who have to use saline do not have an easy time giving it to their cat. Using what your vet gave (either LRS or Normosol) should be fine.

I hope you can reach your vet tomorrow and get some better guidance on how much longer you should be giving them. Glad morris is eating so much better! :mrgreen:

Sorry about the stinky numbers. Hopefully the curve you do this weekend will help you better understand what is going on.

Have a great night!!!!! :D

7. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 3/03 Morris AMPS 157; +9 378; PMPS 328

Since Morris has been eating so well the past couple of days, I have set up his timed feeder for him again tonight. He has already eaten 1/4 can when I gave him his insulin....he will get another 1/4 can at +2, +5, and +8 tonight. I sure hope he remembers to listen for the sound of the feeder turning!!

Not in a definitive mannor. I am to continue them as long as he needs them....now I just need to figure out if he still needs them or not!

Yes, I remember them telling me this. All the times that I have given him fluids, no matter how much, the bulge has been gone by the next morning.

The vet sold me Normosol to give him. I can get saline from work, so I was just thinking it would be easier if I could give him that! But, with what you have said here, I don't think saline sounds so good anymore!!

Thanks Carolyn! I appreciate your input! I will definately be chatting with my vet tomorrow (if she doesn't call me tonight) & will post here what she has to say!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.