2/26 Mousie AMPS 245 (long) PMPS 238

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by LynnLee + Mousie, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Hi there everybody. Thought i'd officially introduce myself to LL since I'm gonna give lantus a shot now. Those of you who have been all around the board for a bit probably recognize me but I know a lot of people won't so thought this might help. I've been doing this since 2006 so pretty well versed in diabetes.

Just to get some technical info out of the way :smile:
    1. yes i hometest, have since september 2006.

2. yes, Mousie gets nothing but low carb canned and raw food. freeze dried treats at test time.

3. original vet was typical, 1u humulin N BID with no testing. needless to say i switched after about 3 weeks and discovered Dr. Hodgkins here in town and PZI so Mousie has been on PZI since September 2006

4. no other serious ongoing health problems. She's had a couple minor complications along the way, a UTI 3 weeks into diagnosis which led us to changing vets, and an ear infection causing a pretty severe vestibular episode a while back (probably 2 years ago or so). she also displays symptoms of FHS and Jojo agrees she most likely has it based on videos she's seen.

5. yes i ketone test. Honestly I've gotten in the habit of not doing it too much as Mousie rarely gives me high enough numbers consistently to worry about it but with the switch I will make a point of testing more frequently, at least for awhile.

Now, as to why I'm here. I have had her on PZI for quite some time and she's done perfectly fine on it. And I've put away a few vials of it actually since it's been discontinued. But I also took advantage of the lantus coupon back in December and have been thinking about it off and on since. :D So, here I am with 4 vials of PZI in my fridge and 5 lantus pens so why not give it a shot, especially before the lantus goes caput while waiting for me to finish my pzi?? as I was told, if i don't like it or it doesn't work, I can always go back

Mousie has made this whole journey pretty much doable in my sleep to be honest. Mousie was a rescue, from the streets, so a ummmmm, bit fractious still but she's still improving, occasionally even voluntarily laying on me these days.

Mousie was diagnosed fairly young, only 4.5 years old at the time, really hasn't shown any pancreatic activity the entire time, and is most likely a Type 1 diabetic so remission is not my main concern. My main concern is keeping her as healthy and happy as can be and at Jojo's pushing, to beat the record for the longest living insulin dependent diabetic kitty in the world :D

Now, I am self employed and there is no way i can do a 12/12 schedule thru the week. with pzi her shot schedule is more of a 14/10 type of schedule which has been fine since pzi is so flexible. I'm gonna try to bring this down to 13/11 during the week as that's about all i can do. weekends i can do whatever is necessary. weekends will also be when & where I do most of my data gathering. Monday thru Friday the best I can do is amps, pmps, and before bed type of stuff or middle of the night. weekends i can test all i want or until Mousie rips my fingers off. :lol:

so, that's about everything i think and hope that gives everyone a little background on us. feel free to ask any questions you can think of that i may have missed :smile:

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/26 Mousie AMPS 245 (long)

Welcome To LL Cindy and Mousie!!!

Thank-you for sharing Mousie's history with us, we hope to see u often, like I dont already see u in the other forums, :lol:

The only thing I can think of right now, is if you will be setting up a spreadsheet for Mousie?

Glad you're here!

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LOL!! Is it there now Ronnie??

4. Ronnie & Luna

:thumbup yup! ya did good! boy that was fast! :lol:

5. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

well, hellooooooooooo there, cindy! welcome to the group!
    happy to see you and hope lantus works out well for mousie. :D

6. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy! Hi Mousie! Welcome to LL and what a cute kitty name!

I bow in awe to your experience and offer no advice. Hope to see you at the full moon party this weekend. Everyone will be there!

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Welcome CIndy! Thanks for all that you do for getting some of the newbies and not so newbies started. Let us know how we can lend a hand.

8. LynnLee + Mousie

Thanks ladies. and yes, for those that didn't know, i'm the one doing newbie kits at this time and for that matter some of you may actually know us but not know it :lol: as Mousie is the star of one of the hometesting videos in the testing tips and tricks post you all probably looked at when you first joined. i'm kinda known for being camera crazy but hey, what can i say, pictures are so helpful sometimes.

i have to admit i'm kinda anxious to get home and test the little girl and am looking forward to monitoring her this weekend. she notoriously gets tired of me manhandling her and used to show me via higher than normal numbers early on curve days so we shall see what happens.

i also have to re-train fiance on some of this stuff as he doesn't know squat about lantus really, other than i saved him $200 that night we went and picked it up and i handed a coupon to the cashier :lol: for now he won't be giving Mousie any of her shots until we feel somewhat comfortable with lantus and shooting lower numbers. i have and would shoot Mousie as low as 135 with pzi but i'll be the first to admit the first time y'all tell me to hooooooooooooooot a 95 i might need some resuscitation!

9. dian and wheezer

dian and wheezer Well-Known Member

you will do fine. just remember dosing is done by nadir and not PS

10. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

waving hello! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope I get to be the first one to yell SHOOOOOOOOOOOT!!!!! to you.

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to LL Cindy.

I hope you get good results with L and we're all rooting for you over here! Be sure to read the "starred" info at the top and it will answer many of your L questions.

12. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Cindy & Mousie
    Welcome to our crazy family in LL.
    It is a pleasure to have you join us here. Now we can see a lot more of you.
    Have fun with the condos.
    We are all here together.

13. LynnLee + Mousie

i've read and re-read that stuff actually several times over the years :razz:

but get this, this morning at about 6 am when i decided i was gonna do this, i suddenly forgot everything and for a minute went "do i roll it? warm it up? oh yeah, i draw to the first line instead of to the 2.5 line! oh crud, it's gonna sting. she's gonna bite me! oh crap, maybe i should re-read again and start next week!"

then i told myself to just shut the hell up and do it! LOL!!

14. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

:lol: I think most of us here feel the same way!

Welcome , btw...I hope you find as much, if not more success with Lantus.

15. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land Cindy and Mousie.
    I hope you found your condo to your liking. :mrgreen:

16. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Welcome to lantus land Cindy and Mousie,

Thanks for update, very helpful material!
    I don't recall whether your signature has the "i can't shoot 12/12" disclaimer... I suggest that you add it because we - I should say "I" - don't always retain all the information.

As Miriam & Putty mentioned, we hope you like your condo here. And I'll dare to add one more thing.... the hardest thing you'll find is to re-prgram your brain to the action of lantus. I used PZI before too (but the concept applies to other insulins), a good scrub brush is needed to clean the brain free of the non-lantus-insulin concepts.

Welcome!

17. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

:shock:

well, it's about time! *runs off to get some cottonballs for a welcome basket for the bean!

;-)

18. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land Cindy!! I hope that Mousie does great on Lantus!

19. LynnLee + Mousie

unfortunately that PMPS came at +14.5 which royally sucks but hopefully we slow down a little at work this next week and can get home earlier :(

oh, should i do any further testing tonight? i might just for the hell of it :) it's a little after 9pm and i'll probably be up for at least a couple hours.

20. Ronnie & Luna

Hey that's a nice yellow, pretty yellow day for Mousie, nice way to end your day.
    :D

21. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hello stranger! do i know you? hmmm...cindy...mousie...sounds familair.

to add more background info for everyone, cindy briefly mentioned it, but the main reason i wanted her to try lantus is because mousie is one of those 'naturally has a flat curve' type of cats and because she is so young and really does stand a chance at braking my bunny's record of 14.5 years on insulin, i want to lower the flat cycle mousie naturally has to the lower lantus flat cycle. why? well for a reasons that 99.55 of you guys do not need to give a fig about, kidneys. cats can and do live in higher numbers for years and years and years without any issues at all with kidneys, the stuff that human diabetic have to worry about there doesn't apply due to a cat's shortened life span. however, when you start talking about double digit years of being a feline diabetic (which the cat dx'ed at 14 yrs old, well unfortunately you know that you are not concerned with things that might happen 10 yrs from then) which mousie could possibly have, she would be hitting 10 years of active insulin use around the time that most cats are being dx'ed, well i nudged cindy into thinking about this. i think mousie can run numbers like settledown does on an L insulin, numbers that no one's kidneys will mind running for 10~ 15 years.

11/13 during week and no spot checks during weekday's day time cycles, it IS doable, others have. i am going to beg for the before bed spot check every night simply because it is THE spot check that let's one know why an AMPS is what it is and gives clues as to next few cycles. just an important piece of the puzzle and a spot check that every person can get, everyone goes to bed, hence a before bed spot check is easy. ;-)

as far as erasing the PZI brain, scrub brushes are under the kitchen sink in your condo. this insulin can and will give you lower PS's, it is the nature of the longer lasting/greater overlap insulin to do so. it will take time and chickening out a few times for you oto get comfortable with that, no worries! here is a free pass for BCS* shots before work~ [free pass]. not in any hurry here, no one is going anywhere, you can wait for that lower PS to happen on a weekend when you try giving full dose to the low lantus PS and are around to watch and learn what happens. k?

so all is well. you're just i first shed construction now, sure she will build a lovely strong shed once she gets to dose and no stress here. mousie will do great. and like i said before, you are not married to this, there is all the PZI in your frig if you don't like lantus....but i think you you will love it (just like all the other former PZI peeps do). welcome to LL! very glad you are here! :mrgreen:

~jojo
    *you know what BCS dose is right?

22. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

BCS -- I know, I know - <<<raises hand! To answer!!!!!>>>>>>>

Big

Chicken

Dose!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

23. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

Welcome to LL Cindy & Mousie !
    I ditto what everyone else has already said and just add that I hope you will be happy here. I think you will once you get the hang of it :razz:

Caryl & Alex

24. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Welcome to LL, Cindy. I hope Mousie adapts to it quickly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.