2/22 Mim AMPS 155, +5~47, Questions re front legs / Dose

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Andrew and Mim, Feb 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Please see link: viewtopic.php?f=29&t=7014

The diabetes seems under control.....I don't *think* I need to up the dose but would welcome comments. I am concerned about Mim's front legs though :roll: not sure what's going on......he seems reasonably happy although has lost confidence in his footing and is less active than he used to be - mainly sleeping and just getting up for food & litter box. The vet suggested lowering the insulin, thinking the "stumbling" maybe related to BG being too low, but I don't think so!

2. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/22 Mim AMPS 155

Very sorry to see Mim's video. Tuscany is doing similar but just with front left and not as severe (She also is losing her balance and holding head funny - is being treated for possible middle/inner ear infection - but personally I don't think that would be causing the front leg issue). I agree with you that the numbers you have on your SS don't look too low - Mim's been very consistant on this dose. You could always try for more midcycle checks - or late cycle just to make sure you aren't missing a low number....
    Is Mim on any supplements like methylcobalamine or dasuquin or injectable adaquan (not sure of the spelling of that one)? The methylcobalamine is often used for neuropathy and the dasuquin/adaquan for arthritis issues.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

(((Andrew & Mim)))
    I am sorry to see Mim's video too - how sad :sad:
    I wish I had words of wisdom of what this could be.. hopefully others can weigh in - the BG looks good :mrgreen:

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Joyce - I see the following on Mim's SS but don't know the significance of: Ilium Neocort , Tramadol and Cartrophen.

Andrew - how long have Mim's front paws been like this?

WIth the recent greens you have been getting on this dose I would try to get some more spot checks in (if possible) to see if Mim is dropping below 50.

5. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Are his paws cold? Almost looks like a nerve issue, but then he does try to straighten them out so maybe that's not it.

6. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Mim isn't on any supplements at this stage - the vet mentioned Cartrophen injections for arthritis but when I asked if she thought the x-rays explained his "stumbling" , she didn't think so. So we decided the Cartrophen may not be warranted.

7. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Late last year I noticed some "lameness" with Mim's left foot and put it down to an injury from being chased around by the kitten - he had some inflammation between 2 of his toes which was treated with the Ilium Neocort. I changed his diet to Dr Lisa's raw around the same time - is it possible there is a "deficiency" in the food causing this? He's also been wanting to eat grass recently (sometimes vomitting but not always).

8. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I am not sure.. but am anxiously awaiting any replies with you (((Andrew & Mim)))

Maybe you could put Question in your Subject Line, so others will know you have a question?

9. joyce-tuscany(GA)

joyce-tuscany(GA) Well-Known Member

Andrew - not real familiar with Dr. Lisa's raw - I am assuming you are adding the nutrients needed with the raw food, right? Not sure if what you get in Oz is different that what they get here in States. I know the Sienne/Gabby do raw and order the supplements to add based on Dr. Lisa's site.

Looked up your cartrophen - it is similar to Adaquan - and not available supposedly to us in the States. I have asked the vet about it for Tuscany (the Adaquan) and may be starting it soon. You might want to look into the methylcobalamine (methyl b12 - not the regular b12) and the dasuquin or chondritin. Certainly shouldn't hurt and may help. If you start a condo on health about supplements you are sure to get lots of help....

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Andrew-i apologize if you have already answered these questions before, but else are you feeding and how old is Mim? I didn't see a profile on Mim, otherwise I wouldn't have to bother you with these questions.

11. Andrew and Mim

Andrew and Mim Member

Re: 2/22 Mim AMPS 155, +5~47, +6~65

Did someone say "more spot checks"? Does this indicate a drop to 0.5U?

Sorry I haven't completed my profile yet.......kept getting frustrated trying to get the photo small enough - Mim is 12. I have been adding the supplements to the raw chicken and feeding almost exclusively raw since start of 2010 - occasionally Mim has some canned Ziwi Peak.

12. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/22 Mim AMPS 155 Questions re front legs / Dose

Hey Andrew,

I posted in your general health thread, I know that Jess & Earl and Dr Lisa scan the health forum, hopefully one will see your vid and offer some input.
    Nice to see you again, I'm very sorry about Mim, please keep us posted, and feel free to post when ever you want or need to.

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Did you feed anything between +5 and +6 or did Mim's BG rise on his own? Generally a BG <50 would indicate a decrease in dose, but I would like someone with more experience to give you the go ahead on that.

Can you change the subject line of your very first message to show the BG's like you did the last message? And ask for dose advice too. That way you will get the right "eyes" looking to help you. :mrgreen:

Mim might have been dropping to this level for a few days. It is hard to tell, but yes more spot checks like this are an enormous help.

14. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

it's quite possible he has been dropping in the evenings.

those evenings checks may show quite a lot...a +3 and a before bedtime check would be great...I'm impressed by his numbers too Andrew, really nice.

15. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

andrew someone paged me to this post today, sorry just seeing it, i'm not around everyday anymore.

gee, the video was rough to see. :( mim has cardiac issues, can you talk to your vet about this possibility of this being ischemic neuromyopathy?* was really the first thing i thought of as i was watching the video. this doesn't look like arthritis or diabetic neuropathy to me (and the time frame is wrong for diabetic neuropathy, doesn't make sense that he would develop it now at this point when so regulated). how are his electrolyte levels? (not hypokalemic (low potassium) or hypocalcemic right?) what was the time frame from starting raw to this starting... is there a link? are you sure he is getting enough thiamine?

hope your vet is able to help, really don't like seeing mim like that.
    ~jojo

*Ischemic Neuromyopathy occurs in cats with cardiomyopathy, subsequent to thrombosis of the caudal aorta or its principal branches. The ischemic injury to both muscle and peripheral nerve is produced by collateral circulation vasoconstriction induced by substances such as serotonin and thromboxane A2 released by platelets trapped in the thrombus.
    ~from 2008 WSAVA proceeding
    http://www.vin.com/proceedings/Proceedi ... &O=Generic

16. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

Poor Mim! (((Andrew)))
    I have no advice, but sending you figure out what's going on and feel better vines your way!

17. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I'm glad Jojo came by and gave you some good info Andrew. I was thinking about you and Mim today. I wish you all the best at getting Mim better. Sending you healing vines and positive vibes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.