Newbie..dosing advice may be needed in the am

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by tpr, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

I am brand new to the forum and have been advised from some AMAZING people from the health site to pose my questions here as well.
    My cat, Ella is not on tight regulation as she is still eating m/d dry. I just learned about the benefits of canned food today and will attempt a switch when I am available to properly monitor her. In the meantime it was suggested that I share my story here as I may need some advice for her morning dose depending on her reading :D

Long story short: This morning Ella had a bg of 59 on my Alpha trak meter. I panicked and skipped the dose. If you look at her SS you will see that she goes up from there and at her +12 preshot she was at 486mg. I have no idea what tomorrow will bring.

Please read my orignal post below which may give you a glimpse as to why she almost crashed. FYI: As of last Monday she was bumped up from 3u to 4u. I will most likely be looking for support in the morning so I'm being proactive with this tonight:)

Original post
    My 9 year old cat Ella was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis in Decemeber. She was hospitalized for what seemed like the longest four days of my life. Since then she's become diabetic and we still haven't been able to get her regulated. She is currently on four units of Lantus twice a day and her numbers have been slowly decreasing over the last month. Before her injection last night, I noticed that there was a lump under her skin where I normally inject (scruff). I did not see redness and when I touched it, Ella didn't seem uncomfortable so it may just be scar tissue?!
    We injected her 4 units to the left of the lump and I began to panic, thinking that perhaps the insulin has not been able to absorb properly because I have been injecting in the same place. This morning she was begging for food (more than ususal) and seemed agitated. I fed her, she ate well, and then checked her blood glucose level and she was at 3.3! This is the lowest that she has ever been! I didn't give her the insulin shot and offered some wet food which she also ate. She currently eats dry hills m/d and I have wet m/d for emrgencies if I have to syringe her when she is sick.
    I tested her bg an hour later and she was at 8.5. She is sleeping comfortably right now but I'm not sure if I should have given her a decreased shot when she went up to 8.5.
    I will continue to test her bg throughout the day but was seeking advice regarding doses from expereinced pet owners.

Now with these numbers it important to know that her insulin might not have been absorbed properly this whole time.
    My vet told me that I could use the scruff for up to a year without rotation. She had a fever a few days ago, with diahrea and has been lethargic. I took her to the vet on Friday and she gave me Fortiflora to help stop the diahrea. She had some yesterday but no poo in the litter box today so perhaps it is working. Temp went down too. Last night I tested her because of her lethragy and she was at 17.6 and her glucose strips showed high glucose in the evening which is why I was very surprised with this morning number of 3.3. I'm assuming the insulin hasn't been absorbed properly. I apologize for the long winded email but I guess my question is: should I have given her a decreased dose when she went up to 8.5? She is on a long acting insulin and it was an hour after her required dose so I just trust my intuition but am curious as to what others think.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my posting:) Looking forward to your comments.

Tamara

2. thebigfuzz

thebigfuzz Well-Known Member

Welcome to Lantus Land!!!

Glad you posted here too :D

I'll hang back and let the more experienced lantus users help...but welcome!

Tanya

3. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This link to the initial Health thread will be more helpful.

Julie and Marje are regulars here on the Lantus board.

Given that Ella had a 59 on an Alpha Track meter this morning, that number warrants a dose reduction. I would not shoot more than 2.75u. Whether or not you use the Tight Regulation protocol, Lantus doses are not changed by more than 0.25u in most cases. It may help if you can get syringes that are in half unit increments.

5. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

hi tamara! you found Lantus Land! glad you're here!

our no-shoot range for new members 150-200, which is 230 on an AT. if you get less than a 230 in the morning, just skip the shot, especially since you won't be home to monitor..

as long as you are using an AT, make sure it's in your subject line every day. if you have any doubt about some number being suggested, double-check that it's for the AT. i know i've gotten mixed up with it and we don't want any confusion for you.

btw - in all the questions on your other post, i didn't see if you answered me about ketones. has Ella had any ketones in the past?

there are east coast people who will be on in the morning as well. i'm west coast, so it's not gonna be me!

see you tomorrow.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Tamara....you found us! Good job.

I think it would help everyone remember about the Alpha Trak meter if you add it to your signature block. Cuz we also have lots of members and it will continually remind us. Thank you!

Glad to have you with us.

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Tamara....I've left a note for the early morning east coast members; could you please get a +11 in the morning and post it for them. Just put in the subject line:

3/19 Ella +11 xxx need dose help pls

The xxx is the BG you get ok?

8. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Thanks Marjorie!

I posted and am waiting for response.
    And no she has never had ketones.

Tamara

9. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

Hi Tamara,

I don't have any dosing advice for you but noticed you use an Alpha. (I do too). Its best when you post your numbers that you put something like (AT) with them, so everyone knows you've got the Alpha. They read pretty differently than other meters do. I've also got my giant note in my signature, too.

Amy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.