1/11 Kim's Simon AMPS 181 and lancet question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kim and simon, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

Good morning, I worked yesterday so I only got in the pre shot tests. Simon is getting really annoyed with my pricking his ear. Any ideas on the best lancets? I think we're doing ok with the smaller ones but both sizes I have are Relion and I was wondering if other brands might be better. I feel like I poke often and it doesn't pierce the skin. I'm doing it freehand.

We are trending downward so tips on what to do the first time I see a # under 150 are appreciated! I will try to get +6 today.
    Leaving town next Wednesday-Sunday so that has me worried. My mom has agreed to give his shots but home testing will be a stretch. She will have my 2 y.o. also who is a handful :lol:
    What are the most valuable data points besides +6?

Yesterday viewtopic.php?f=9&t=60773

2. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Morning Kim. On the lancet question, what gauge are you using. I freehand too and I like the finer gauge, but I recently got some 33 gauge that I think maybe be a bit too fine. I am finding that I need to poke more than once to get that drop. I find about 31 to be best for us. I haven't noticed a difference in brand.

I'll leave others to comment on your other questions. Have a great day!

3. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

New developments: found a barf on the floor (probably from this morning before or after breakfast, but can't be sure. Also could be other cat. Also caught Simon eating dog kibble right after his shot.) Sigh.
    (I know the dog should probably be on wet, but one step at a time here!)

4. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Good morning and nice AMPS Simon! We use 31 lancets and free hand as well. Have a great day!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Lancets: I use a 31 gauge BD ultrafine lancet. Many people just starting out like a heavier gauge lancet (e.g., a 28 gauge). Until the capillary bed is built up, it may be easier with the wider lancet. If you're freehanding, it may be a matter of which lancet feels more comfortable in your hand.

Travel: Generally, if you are traveling and especially if the substitute caregiver can't test, we recommend reducing the dose. I'd also suggest setting up a "sample" syringe where you set the dose using a colored liquid. That way there's no issue over what 0.5u is for example. You don't want your mom to inadvertently shoot 5.0u. (It's happened.)

I can't speak to what's an appropriate diet for a dog. They are omnivores. Cats are obligate carnivores. I don't know that you'd want Simon eating your dog's food even if it were canned food.

6. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

If he's getting annoyed with the pokies, you could give the lancing device a whirl, just to see how that goes. I' freehanded once, and it was tough for me; Trix does much better with the device (as do I!). His ears should bleed more easily as time passes. In the beginning, there were days I swear it took a good 15 pokes to get Trix's ears to bleed. Now, almost a year later, she bleeds within the first or second poke.

As for your numbers getting lower and lower - first, that's great! Every time you shoot lower than you've ever shot before, you want to get in as many tests as possible, so you can gather data about how Simon responds. In particular, getting a +1 and/or a +2 with the first time you shoot a lower number will give you some good info about where Simon is going with that particular cycle. In general for Trix, I get a +2 and a +4; that's usually where she levels off and starts surfing, but it did take some testing over time to find that this how she personally responds. Now that I have this data, unless I see something surprising at +4 (ie, a big drop from +2, or particularly low number), I can usually hold off on testing again until PMPS/AMPS. Every cat is different though, so that's why testing Simon as the numbers get a bit lower will help you fill in the blanks and see how HE responds.

Kitties do love to sneak that kibble!!

Have a great day!

Amy

7. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Hi Kim

I haven't been on your condo yet but welcome to Lantus Land!!! Glad you and Simon are here...nice AMPS today!

I also use the BD ultra fine 31g lancets that I get from American Diabetes Wholesale. One important thing that I rarely see mentioned here but makes a difference. The lancet, like the syringe needle, has a beveled side. You want to be sure that when you poke, the beveled side is up....just like when you insert the syringe needle....the bevel needs to be up. That allows it to go in easier with less pain. Also...are you using Neosporin Pain Relief ointment after the pokes? I do after every single poke...it helps.

Good luck!!

8. kim and simon

kim and simon Member

I did try the lancet device thingy today and I do think it works better for us! Whoo hoo! I was afraid the noise would bother him. I was also worried about all that talk about poking through the ear to your finger...no problems, even on the deepest poke setting. Doesn't really hurt my finger either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.