2/12 Bert AMPS 346 +6 356 PMPS 338 +5 299

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy, Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy

Kathy Member

Yesterday numbers:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5915&start=0&hilit=bert

I am going to try to do a 3 hour curve on Sunday.
    I just feel bad as we are still dealing with those "bumps" on Bert's ears from poking him.

I will try to get my husband to get a close up picture of them this weekend. Then I will post them and you can tell me what you think.
    Bert is acting fine. Eating and drinking normally.
    He just likes the 3's too much :oops:

Sorry for the delay in getting here today.
    My powers went off last night and came back quickly, but our cable(Internet) just came back.

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 2/12 Bert AMPS 346 +6 356

Hi Kathy,
    those bumps on the ears are common, u could try rotation, so in one cycle u poke one ear, and the next cycle the other ear.
    Many of us use neosporin ointment creme, just regular strength is fine, a little dab, let the ear be poke free, or dab it overnite, this helps the ears heal.

Glad u made it on today, try to take it easy, Bert will get it - in the meantime the spot checks will help determine the next step.

3. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Don't worry Kathy, you'll get there! Think about how much better he feels already due to all the things you have done for him :)

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd like to make a suggestion. Rather than a 3-hour curve on Sunday, would a 2-hour curve be possible? There's a fair amount of blank space on Bert's SS and you've been great about getting a +6. Having some of the blanks filled in may give you and everyone else a better snapshot of what's going on with Bert. (I also understand that I'm a testaholic and I really, really love having data so feel free to tell me to be quiet!)

A couple of thoughts in response to your comments on Bert's SS. If you're not comfortable with a recommendation from your vet, or if your scared by that recommendation, you can always discuss it with your vet. Hopefully, your vet will understand that most of us are very overprotective of our cats. Or, in the case of a dose increase, you can take it more slowly. You may take a few more days to get to the same place your vet suggested, but you'll get there. And if you don't, it means that taking a slower approach was the right thing to do. I know it can sometimes feel like you're caught between a rock and a hard place. You're the one who knows your cat best and we can help you weigh all of the options and make a decision that's right for you and Bert. You're doing great.

5. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

A couple thoughts, been thinking about this since I left your condo..

I think we talked about this before but my memory's bad.. are you making sure you firmly compress the poked area for 20-30 seconds with a tissue after the test is done? Are you using the lancing pen? If so, it could be bruising him. You might try freehand, or using a lesser setting. Lancet gauge.. the bigger the better, bigger gets the job done, which means fewer pokes. Try 28 or even 26 gauge.

And finally, my outlandish thought.. there are humans who are allergic to stainless steel. So metal allergy possible? I have *never* heard of that, so that should be the last thing we really think about at this point LOL A good way to rule it out though is to do a paw pad blood test. Just test his pad the same way you'd test his ear except use a baby wipe to make sure there's no "debris" down there. Don't use alcohol, could dry out his paw pad and or sting when you poke. If he gets a bump on his paw same as his ear, then we gotta wonder.

6. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I have never seen the bumps you are talking about... what are the bumps?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Nicole,

they usually form with irritation, multiple poking, lol, little tiny bumps, but as Carolyn said, it could be from an allergen to the steel in the lancet device.

which is why it is good to rule out, plus rotate ears to avoid irritation

8. Kathy

Kathy Member

I always poke him in a different spot and hold his ear tightly after the poke.
    I swear the bumps are from when my husband does it.

His right ear is the better ear to use. I try to use his left, but end up having to poke a few times.
    I use the rice sock to warm his ear.
    My husband thinks it almost looks like scar tissue, but in a bump form confused_cat

I have to work for a bit tonight, but will make an attempt to do a 2 hour curve on Sunday...Bert is going to hate me :sad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.