2/12/ Shadow AMPS=258

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA), Feb 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

+3=347 ohmygod_smile
    +4=361 ohmygod_smile
    +8=302 ohmygod_smile
    AMPS=258 ~ 1.25u Lev (start 5th day)

Yesterday's Condo

Shadow ate his breffis but didn't clean the two bowls this morning again. Guess he & his sister are not as hungry right now.
    He is playing right now with his chirping bird :lol: and Raja and he have been wrestling a lot during the past couple of days. His fur is so soft and clean and he is looking so great. Just missing the P for Poop this morning so far! :mrgreen:

This morning I landed the harpoon in his left side. Is there any reason why his insulin absorption seems better when I shoot there?
    Or maybe it's my imagination...yesterday I gave him his insulin on the right...flank/shoulder. Monique? Are you there this morning?
    Sending cheery thoughts your way today...
    Happy Birthday Mr Lincoln....hope you all enjoy your Friday. :razz:

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Is it Lincoln's Birthday today?

It could be your imagination, there have been discussions about the differences but I don't think there is any unified consensus. For some there seems to be no difference regaurless of where you shoot, for others there is a difference but what is a good place for one is a bad place for the other. There is certainly a difference with respect to movement. A human will have faster absorbtion when injecting in a "movable" body part (leg) as oppsed to the abdomen. Keep inmind that activity levels in general have a huge influence on BG and insulin absorbtion.

I sent Spooky into hypo one day by winding him up playing and running for over an hour. His BG dropped like a stone and stayed low for quite some time afterwards.

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

For the record when you say you sent him into "hypo" do you mean just very very low numbers...or did he actually have hypo symptoms? I am wondering about the term...and find it very unsettling. If Shadow is at 45, he is not necessarily hypoing--correct?

As a newbie, I used to get very nervous about low numbers because they were referred to as "hypo" and now I feel that they are just low numbers unless the kitty manifests the hypo signs.
    So, did he hypo or just go into very low numbers that you had to monitor?
    Today is Abraham Lincoln's birthday...yup.... :D

4. Monique & Spooky

He was pretty low (low 30's) he didn't have any serious symptoms but he wasn't "normal" acting either. While on Caninsulin he did have a mild symptomatic hypo (at BG 38) he was very lethargic and couldn't walk stright. He was leaning on walls and following them with his nose.

By defintion hypoglycemia is a BG below the reference range (70-120 mg/dl) mild hypoglycemia is between 50-70 mg/dl, rather symptomatic or not. Some people have an insensitivty to low blood sugar and can be dangerously low (<20 mg/dl) without being aware of it physically. Even in the abcence of symptoms a very low BG is potentially damaging to organs (mainly the brain). Keep in mind that the human meter does underestimate the BG in a cat so at the levels we consider low BG (40's & 50's) the true BG is probably in the very mild "hypo" range or about 60-70 mg/dl. Rather or not symptoms occur has to do with factors other than the absolute number, such as the change (how high to how low) and how quickly the fall happens. Also symptoms are more likely where the low BG is prolonged, a BG of 30 that is promptly reckognized and taken care of will likely not have symptoms appearing, but a BG of 30 or 40 that is present for 30 minutes to an hour (provided the liver doesn't kick in) will have symptoms due to the cells being depleted of energy and oxygen. Think of it like holding your breath (1-2 minutes is no problem) after 3 minutes you start dying.

5. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Good morning, Pat! Looks like Shadow had a stinkus pinkus night :YMSIGH: ... If it weren't for that green the other day, I'd say he needs another dosecrease...time will tell.

Are you prepared for this yucky weekend??? :sad: :sad: :sad: I'm not! I had hoped it would be nice and sunny cuz I'm tired of this winter already! Can't imagine what it must be like up north...or actually, I CAN imagine...that's why I'm here! :razz:

Morris has had quite a few clinical hypos complete with most of the warning signs...I really can't miss them with Morris. :dizcat And he will be fine in the 30's but as soon as he goes into the 20's he gets all wobbly and walks into the walls and usually manages to get my attention in some dramatic way....thank God he does! And then there's Barbara's Tuffy who sails through the day in the 20's with no problem. We use the same meter so I'd say that's not the reason, it's just Tuffy being Tuffy.

Have a great day, Pat!

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Morning Pat! Looks like Shadow's numbers are coming down-IZ GOOD!
    That clinical hypo, some cats seem fine in low numbers, while others really respond in a physical way...Any time Moonie was in the 30's, she acted totally normal, while my heart was pounding!! Yes, Tuffy is a perfect example!! nailbite_smile
    We here are so attuned to the BG changes, that we are trained to be aware..We are in control!
    Hope Shadow gives you a Happy Lincoln's Birthday with some nice numbers..
    Just read your profile--Yes they are our hobbies :lol:
    Full time Jobs!

7. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Good Morning Pat, Shadow, and Raja,

Nice to know the birds are chiping somewhere.

FYI shot local - there is an intersting link somewhere that discusses different locations and faster or slower absorbtion. Interesting as I vary location from behind shoulder to lower side by belly.

I do know he has a preference for one side over the other.

Hear Fl is due for snow somewhere.

8. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Out with the pinks! But stay above--oh, say 45, okay Shadow.

9. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Time for some green Shadow.
    Although this yellow is better than the stinky pinks he left behind overnite, smart move!

10. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning Pat
    I hear it is as cold in FL as Montreal and we barely have snow too.
    What a winter everyone is having.
    The last cold spell you had, Shadow's numbers were higher too. You just might have to
    pull oy an electric blanket nd sniggle to get the BG's down. lol.
    Hope you guys are keeping warm.

Interesting comment on BG levels and actvities. That's probably why Max never comes down, cuz he never comes off his chair. I think I will chase him around the house this weekend.
    Ya never know.

Happy Presidents Birthdays,

11. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 2/12/ Shadow AMPS=258, +4=355

+4=355 ohmygod_smile
    What is with this little guy ohmygod_smile

12. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I give Bear his shots in the side, since he has less hair there, and I can see what I'm doing. BTW, please get Florida warmed up by March. I'm heading down, and I'm not bringing my winter clothes.

13. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Awww, Shadow, come on down! Pink's no good for you; your sister is laughing at you for wearing a "sissy" color! Put the smack down on her and get back to at least yellow, ok?

Monique, that was quite interesting about the hypos. Thanks for posting that, as I had the same questions as Pat. I have never seen a symptom in Buzz, even when she was in the 30s.

14. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

Here we go again. Shadow, there are only FIVE P's. He thinks there's a 6th P (pink! ohmygod_smile)
    Back to school for you....

[​IMG]

15. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the 5 Ps? :)

16. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Preening
    Pooping
    Peeing
    Playing
    Purring
    :mrgreen:
    (right? :roll: )

17. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

lol!!!
    Dont forget Posing for Photos! thats 2 extra P's! :lol:

How's Shadow doing Pat?

18. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 2/12/ Shadow AMPS=258, +7=404

+7=404

I want to soak the blood drop out of that test strip and save it for when I can get a nice number... :roll:
    Does that answer your question Ronnie, my Pal? grr_red And to think i was upset with the pinks... ohmygod_smile

19. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

Shadow Shadow Shadow What you do to your momma bean!
    Deep breaths - take a nice walk...

20. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Re: 2/12/ Shadow AMPS=258, PMPS=398

Amy...a WALK? Brrr...it's 54 degrees and raining here....disgusting weather indeed.... :lol:

PMPS=398 ~ 1.25u Lev
    This is discouraging. Oh well. that's the way it is around here tonight. Should I be glad that he is in the pinks now after the reds? THAT is very sad ohmygod_smile

21. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 2/12/ Shadow PMPS=398

What was with that red number Shadow....glad to see that you came down to pink although I don't like that color either.

I feel your frustration Pat. :YMHUG:

22. Monique & Spooky

Pat it's time to get serious again, if you don't have a low blue number in this cycle, in the AM dosecrease 1.5U, I have some suspicions...we need more green.

Look at you SS...do see anything related to dose changes? I'm seeing that 2-3 after a dose change shadow has some good numbers for a cycle or 2, then he goes higher and flat as if suddenly he has become "resistant" to that dose of insulin. I don't mean specifically IAA, but the fact is every animal will produce some antibodies against artifical insulin, could be that Shadow produces a few more than typical once in a while, as well as the fact that he is failing LTS! The solution is to keep going for green as often as possible. That means a possible dose increase every 3 days if needed. No low blue or green in 5 cycles then raise the dose (maybe even drop wise increases) To earn a reduction Shadow needs to go below 50 twice on the same dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.