12/11 Tawny - BG 425; BBK 3.8 e-tube feeding

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Dec 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Just talked to Dr. Amanda, who while I was talking to her said Tawny had been following her around all morning and just jumped down from a table onto a chair while we were on the phone.

They are going to show me the following at discharge: how to do SubQ fluids, how to feed via the e-tube, how to give Vitamin B injections, how to clean the wound and change the bandages until the Kitty Kollars get here, and anything and everything else I need to know.

They were pulling the jugular catheter while we were on the phone and she said the tech noticed a little bit of infection around the e-tube site so they are starting her back on the Clavamox and want to see her back on Wednesday to watch this carefully, earlier if need be.

Dr. Amanda also said to put Neosporin around the wound but don't I remember reading s/thg about not using Neosporin in a post?

I'm gonna go search my posts now but if anybody remembers...please advise.

She's coming home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I am soooooooooo scared...

2. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Re: 12/11 Tawny is COMING HOME!!!!! Neosporin ?

CANT WAIT TIL YOU GET HOME, DARLIN' !!
    BINKS

3. mybuddybinks

[​IMG]

4. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wonderful news!!!! I am sure you will do just fine. I'd be scared too, but you have a wonderful support team and I know they will be there for you should you need it.

I've used Neo-sporin on Mannie - on his ear poke spot. It should be just fine.

Enjoy this special day!

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Such good news, Desi! I know that all will go well today. Neosporin with pain relief is what a lot of us use on our kitties' ears after poking, or at night, for the ear to heal. It comes in a tube as both an ointment and a creme. The creme is quickly absorbed and allows the wound to breathe (in my opinion), but the ointment might be longer lasting. I'm sure it will be fine to put it around the wound: that's what it's for. The only concern I would have is that Tawny not try to lick it. The kitty collar will help keep her away from it. Ask the vet how much to use, whether to use creme or ointment, and if it would be a problem if some were ingested.

Can't wait for Tawny to be home. Safe trip!

Hugs and love,
    Ella & Rusty

6. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

My thought too, was that we use Neosporin on our kitty's ears, but maybe in a place where it can be licked would be a concern. I would ask about that. Will she get a cone or anything, until your Kitty Kollars get here?

7. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Great news! :D :D :D I know she will be so glad to be hoome wih you, too!

8. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

We use the neosporin ointment on Zener's ears to help the pokes heal and numb the pain. Tawny is one tough girl. You will do just fine, Desi. Big hugs!!!
    Liz

9. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Fantastic, Desi. As for Neosporin, I always opened and cleaned the area every day on my 3 that had tubes and I would put Neosporin lightly around on the skin. They really cannot reach the area to lick it.

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

This is great news!!! You go, little Tawny-girl!!!

11. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Neosporin is an antibiotic ointment I thought. We have polysporin up here in Canada. I would use this around the skin on the etube. She won't be able to lick it.

And put the end of a tube sock around the bandages. Make sure it is loose. This way if she scratches she is scratching the sock and not going to catch the tube or the bandages.

12. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

I use Neosporin on Moonie's ears every day--See if you can get the one with pain relief--also
    I prefer the creme to the jell type!!
    YAAAHHHHH!!!!!! Tawny's coming home :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Wonderful news!!

14. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Hooray for Tawney! Mikey and the rest of the gang and i are pulling for her!

15. Melanie and Smokey

Melanie and Smokey Well-Known Member

Great news!!! I use neosporin for most any sore on the cats. Absorbs well so there isn't anything for them to lick off if you use the cream, heals quickly, and has some pain reliever in it. I love the stuff.

16. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

My parent's doctor told them that neosporin can sometimes cause infection and to use polysporin or bacitracin. That's all I know so can't elaborate. I use spot of polymycin/bacitracin ointment from vet almost daily and neosporin for pain couple of times a week. Might ask vet..

HUGS!!!!

17. Karrie and Maverick

Lyresa thats good to know. I'll try and remember that also. We used triple antibiotic ointment on Maverick's skin around his feeding tube. Applied it with a qtip and it worked great.

18. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

What great news!! Tawny will need lots of loving care and I know you will be super at it. What a loving bean you are!

19. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Yay!!!! I'm so happy for you and Tawny! :D

20. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/11 Tawny - There's no place like home...

We are home! Home. There's no place like home.

Here's the first thing she did when she got home: Tawny: There's no place like home...

I tried to put this pic in the post so you wouldn't have to follow the link but I haven't figure out how to do that yet. (Binksie forgot to explain how that's done on the way home.)

She is sleeping now. She is drinking a lot of water but has not eaten yet. She may be full, she ate a lot at the clinic today they said. She has been eating the S/O dry diet at the clinic.

Her discharge pprs read (paraphrased): "E-tube feedings: Only feed if she is not eating well on her own...She can eat whatever diet she likes best...daily caloric need is ~ 200 calories...~ 2/3 cup s/o dry...if she will eat canned s/o she should get 1-1/3 of the 6oz can or 3 of the 3oz cans/day..."

For e-tube feedings, they have been using 1 can Purina DM mixed w/40mls water. Pprs say daily needs on this diet would be ~ 230mls. Then it lists the amount of mls needed on other foods being fed via e-tube: Iams Max Cal, 2kcal per ml/needs 100ml/day; Recovery or A/D, 1kcal/ml, needs 200mls/day. This is if she is not eating on her own. E-tube food s/be room temp, feed over 15-20 mins, follow w/4mls water.

Here's a synopsis of what other parts of her discharge pprs say:

"...over the last 24 hrs she has been eating well enough that no food has been having to be place through the e-tube. There is a small infection around the site of the e-tube...treating w/oral antibiotics."

To paraphrase, it also reads: She is getting 3u Lantus BID. Toxoplasmosis test was normal. Urine culture had no growth. She gets cobalamin (Vit. B12) injections weekly for 6 wks.

The B12 is from what the clinic calls their "Good Samaritan" program, a "stash" of stuff people have donated that other patients then get the benefits of at no charge. Many of Tawny's medicines have come from this program, including her potassium gluconate gel.

Re SubQs: if she is not eating well, give 75mls.

Also from the dischg pprs: "We are starting her on Leukeran for suspected underlying intestinal inflammatory disease." I have a scrip for the Leukeran, have not picked it up yet, anybody familiar w/this one? Input, please... They did say to keep it refrigerated and wear plastic gloves when handling it for my safety.

Meds:
    3u Lantus BID.
    Potassium Gluconate gel: 1/2 tsp (2.5mls) every 12 hrs.
    Ondansetron 4mg: 1/2 tablet every 12 hrs.*
    Leukeran 2mg: 1 tablet by mouth every 72 hrs.**
    Clavamox 62.5mg: 1 every 12 hrs w/food.
    Metoclopramide syrup: 2ml by mouth every 12 hrs.
    Actigall 50mg capsule: 1 orally once a day (about 30 days worth).
    Denamarin Tablet Sm: Once daily on a "relatively empty stomach".
    Mirtazipine: 1/4 tab every 3 days (next one due tomorrow).
    Metronidazole Tablet 250mg: 1/8 tablet orally twice daily (they cut these up for me).

*Is this a high dose? I thought it was 1/4 tablet every 12 hrs? (Ondansetron)
    **Comments, thoughts? (Leukeran)

She goes back Wednesday 14th so they can check on this infection.

She is weak, she is fragile, I am scared to death.

Please keep praying for us still.

And thank you all as always.

21. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Welcome home, Tawny!

I have used Leukeran (also known as Chlorambucil) for Teddy and for Bear Man. It is a chemotherapy drug which is used to treat intestinal lymphoma, but it is also sometimes used to treat IBD (inflammatory bowel disease). It sounds like this is what your vet is suspecting. They are correct in telling you to keep it refrigerated and to handle it with gloves. Leukeran can cause a bit of nausea or inappetance. You may see this on the day or two after you give it. the Ondansetron will help to balance this out. Teddy took this drug for many years and tolerated it well. Bear Man did not do as well on it. If the vet suspects IBD, it is worth a try, as steroids are not really going to be a good treatment in Tawny's case.

Ondansetron - I always used 1 mg (1/4 of a 4 mg tablet) twice daily.

Metronidazole - this is an antibiotic which is commonly used to treat IBD. It has an anti-inflammatory effect in the GI tract.

B12 (Cyanocobalamin) also helps IBD.

22. Karrie and Maverick

Were there symptoms of inflammatory bowel disease?

You really have to stay on top of the calories and the insulin and the fluids. You have to closely monitor how much she is eating on her own and I would even overdo the calories to make sure DKA stays at bay and she recovers. Remember also, that calorie count is only a guide. Every cat is different.

I have to look up the carb content of maxcal again but at 330 calories a can - it packs a big calorie punch. It has to be strained before putting in the tube.

23. Karrie and Maverick

She looks so relieved to be home. So happy she will be getting lots of love and is home where she belongs.

24. mybuddybinks

WELCOME HOME, TAWNY!!!!!!!!

25. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/11 Tawny - There's no place like home... EATING!

SHE ATE! SHE ATE! SHE ATE!

Granted, it was s/o dry, but SHE ATE!

I have some MaxCal here now too. I think I'll set out some canned when I come back from the barn and she if she is interested in that. I got 2 cases of Wellness at PetSmart today, the Chicken and the Turkey. Thank you Dyana & Barbara for the coupon, I saved over $20! (I bought some other critter food too.)

I have a chart on the wall to monitor her food intake.

I don't know if there is any "indication" of IBD, only that it is "suspected." Is there a test for that? I think they are awaiting results on s/thg, but I can't remember what (TMI overload).

SHE ATE!

26. Anne & Zener GA

Re: 12/11 Tawny - There's no place like home... SHE ATE!

Yeah, Tawny! That is great news!
    Liz

27. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/11 Tawny - There's no place like home... SHE ATE!

Beautiful Tawny, I am so glad you're home!

Rusty

28. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/11 Tawny - Only ate a little, BBK 3.8, Need Advice.

So ate about 4 bites of the s/o dry.

I gave her some Wellness Chicken. She licked some off my finger. Won't eat it. Doesn't want anymore s/o dry, which i don't want her to be eating kibble anyway.

so it's time for her shot, pull a BG, she at 425!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 'course she'd just ate the s/o bites.

pulled a BBK, 3.8.

Not liking this one bit.

Vet said today she ate about 2/3rds of her total amount of required food intake of the s/o dry b4 I picked her up. so she needed to eat the other 3rd tonight.

she got the potassium gel & the metoclopramide syrup about 3 hrs b4 the BG, would this affect that?

I am thinking of firing up that e-tube. What do you w/experience think? And that I should call them first.

I got the "I-know-you-think-you're-doing-the-right-thing" lecture about poking her all the time and testing her so much today, the BGs (don't need so many spot cks) and BBKs (we use urine ketone analysis) today. Said no ketones were present yesterday, no test today. And I've not caught a pee yet.

Also was told that I didn't need to feed via the e-tube unless she goes 24 hrs w/out eating. What do y'all think? Should I wait that long?

Help please. Here we go.

29. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/11 Tawny - She only ate a little, BG 425; BBK 3.8 HEL

i don't know the answers to your questions, but this will bump you up. i wanted to say welcome home to tawny! thinking about both of you.

30. Anne & Zener GA

bump

31. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

I wish I was knowledgeable enough to answer your questions, but I'm not, so I will give it a bump and send good thoughts and wishes for you and Tawny!

32. DD & Tinkerbell

So this is my 1st etube feeding.

vet gives me a "practice" etube to test the food b4 putting into the etube in the cat. good thing. finally got the max cal the consistency of water practically, goes thru the "test" tube just fine, several times, put it in cat, looks like it clogged.

so now i am waiting for the clog to clear.

She only ate a little on her own since she's been home. I called LVRC, they called Dr. Amanda who said she had eaten "quite a bit" at the clinic today so to just give Tawny 20mls thru the etube and that I shouldn't worry too much about her not eating yet.

yeah, right.

off to see if the clog cleared. of course i am wondering about putting Coca-Cola in an etube in a diabetic cat to clear a clog but whatcha gonna do? So Coke it is.

33. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wait that long, and it appears you didn't either.

Are the "oral" meds going to go down the e-tube?

I don't recall when it was, this hospitalization or the 2nd, that one of the vets said to me that there was a possibility of a diagnosis of Triaditis. Triaditis is the concurrent dysfunction of the pancreas, liver, and gastrointestinal tract. It seems that once problems start happening in the one of those organs, it can throw off the other two organs. If you read this article, you will see that Triaditis is difficult to diagnose and usually just a guess due to inflammation of the organs. Sort of like fibromyalgia in human--a group of vague symptoms.

From the treatment protocol I see in that article, the vets have been doing all they can for Tawny. Now it up to all of us to continue to send her best wishes and thoughts and prayers for recovery and health. On that point, I understand that Karen did send Tawny distance Reiki.

34. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Welcome home Tawny!!

35. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice from me just support and a welcome home!

36. Karrie and Maverick

Don't be scared of using the tube and feeding through the tube. Remember that Tawny is a critically ill kitty - DKA kills cats. My opinion is she shouldn't go more than three or four hours without food, not 24 hours. She has to have the calories to keep DKA at bay.

Don't put the syrups or anything sticky through her tube. The pills disolved in water is fine, but not the other stuff.

37. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

desi, you're already getting some great advice. just wanted to stop by to wish you and tawny well and let you know the two of you remain in our thoughts and prayers.

38. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

No advice, just a big WELCOME HOME!!!! Hugs from us!!

39. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Morning Desi!!

Just saw this etube stuff. I would never wait 24 hours . You have the tube so use it if you think she's not eating enough. If it were me, if it had been 4+ hours, I would give 30cc. Her liver is healing and needs food every few hours . Are you sure it was clogged? Its sometimes just difficult to push it through. I noticed the larger the syringe the harder it was. If i used a 30cc syringe, i would get bruises on my hands because of how hard i had to push.

I'm so happy she's home!!! You are amazing taking such good care of her!!

40. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

What about the potassium gel? I used to put that in Garlands tube easily.

41. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I hope the e-tube feeding is going well. I'm thinking about you guys.
    Loved seeing Tawny at home sleeping comfortably. Stay strong! ((((Desi))))

cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.