12/7 Tawny PM Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Dec 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Just spent about 20 minutes on the phone w/Dr. Amanda from LVRC and here is the latest on our beloved Tawny:

Tawny's potassium level is up to 3.0 this a.m., her etube procedure is scheduled for late this a.m., they will sedate her lightly w/propofol and call me once the procedure is over to let me know how it went & of course I will post immediately.

Tawny got one low dose of steroids yesterday and that is all for now.

Her pancreas is visible on the ultrasound which is an indication of some inflammation but does not show a lot of edema. This could be the from the pancreatitis they knew she had the 2nd time she was in the hospital 2 wks ago still healing.

She is getting metranotazole (ABs), .7mg only at the moment.

Her liver enzymes are elevated some.

A plasma transfusion is not indicated at this time.

They are still waiting for the toxoplasmosis test results to come back.

Both Dr. Amanda and one of the techs that has worked closely with Tawny throughout each of her ordeals felt that Tawny's clinical signs showed some very slight improvement this morning, Tawny was walking around her kennel and sitting up, acting like perhaps she is feeling a little better.

Dr. Amanda did say that even tho Tawny has shown a couple of "baby steps" in the right direction and does not appear to be getting worse at this time Tawny's condition is still considered quite critical.

EDITED TO ADD: Dr. A. also said she was going to ask Dr. Arceneaux (the head honcho) about giving Tawny a Vitamin B injection.

I have joined the FAF Yahoo group Karrie recommended. I have been studying up online about giving SubQ fluids (yesterday) and feeding via etube (this morning). I am on information overload but like I told the vet, I am educating myself as best I can "textbook-wise" so that I will be ready for my field training at the clinic for when Tawny comes home!

I will keep you all posted and please please please don't give up on us.

Please.

Desi

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/7 Tawny A.M. Update

Desi - you amaze me hourly....HUGE LOOOOOONG HUG.

3. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Even baby steps in the right direction are good steps. Prayers continue for sweet Tawny, and you, Desi. You can be sure we won't ever give up.

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

The baby steps are going the right direction and Tawny will get there.

I haven't don it in 10 years but you will be fine w/ the subqs, The hardest partis the first time you need to put the needle in, it's big! :shock: But Cleo never minded, I'm sure Tawny will be the perfect patient. She knows you are doing all this because you love her.

5. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I'm not giving up on Tawny. Keep on keeping on and keep on fighting and keep on getting better little by little, Tawny girl cat_pet_icon We all love you.

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update .. baby steps is all tawny needs to do right now .. she'll get back to 100%, it will just take time ..

7. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

We NEVER give up on family! :D

I'm like Ann...I was understandably nervous the first time I gave Squids...
    but it was a breeze...and Homie (GA) didn't mind at all.

sending love & healing energy...

celi and Binksy Buns

8. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Keep getting better, Tawny.

The chip-in for Tawny shows that DCIN has received $278. I have an email into the clinic to see how much the charge is so far, but when Desi checked her into the hospital, we were given and initial estimate of $1500 to $2000.

9. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

We'll never give up on you.

I learned how to do squids via youtube. Took me some time to get the guts to try it though. I am amazed at the things I am able to do that I never thought I would.

10. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Desi,
    Cautious good news this morning. We never give up!!
    I had to give Stu squids a couple of times and he never even noticed. I think Tawny will do just fine. Sending all sorts of healing vines, good-squids vines, good e tube vines, and lots of love and hugs from Rusty and me,

Ella & Rusty

11. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Family doesnt give up...keeping Tawny in my prayers.
    jeanne

12. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/7 Tawny etube is in!

Just talked to Dr. Amanda: etube is in, no complications! Tawny is awake. They will start feeding her via it as soon as everything clears out of her system (propofol), in the next 3-4 hrs.

Dr. Amanda said as she was "tying it off" Tawny was "kind of conscious" but it wasn't hurting her or anything but that Tawny started pawing at her as if she were saying "Let me up, leave me alone!" Dr. Amanda said that was just one more positive baby step in the right direction!

More later as soon as I get it.

Desi

13. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/7 Tawny Update - E-Tube is In! No Complications!

Great news! SQ fluids make me nervous too, but only because the only time I ever tried to give them was to Thor, after his renal failure, and he was only 7-8 weeks old. That needle was as big as he was! I took him to the vet every morning and evening and had them do it. :lol: I'm sure you won't have a problem tho.

ETA: He only needed them for about 10 days, otherwise I would've found a way to do it myself.

14. Tracy & Leo

Tracy & Leo Well-Known Member

Hooray for Tawny!

Leo and I will continue to send good healing thoughts to Tawny. Hugs to you too Desi.

15. Patty & Champ

Patty & Champ Well-Known Member

You've sure been through the wringer with your Tawny. I'm praying for both of you!!!!

16. feathersby

feathersby Member

lifting up prayers for Tawny, and sending big hugs to you, (((((Desi))))))))

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

:D :D :D :D Can you tell we've all been waiting for news?

18. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

Excellent news, Desi.

You might want to look into ordering a Kitty Kollar for Tawny. Or perhaps someone here has a gently used collar s/he is no longer using s/he could lend you for a bit.

19. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I am so happy to hear the e-tube procedure went well. Tawny is such a good patient. ((((Tawny))))

And you are smart to study all about the feeding tube in advance of bringing Tawny home. The more you know, the more questions you can ask the vets when you have the hands-on training.

We won't give up! :RAHCAT

20. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Great news about the E-Tube!! That has got to be a load off your mind, Desi.

Hi Tawny, Please tell the doctors that I would like them to serve really nice foods in your e tube.
    Hugs from,
    Rusty

21. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

Still praying for Tawny even if I don't post on the board....

Sending you cyber hugs

22. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

healing vines and snowflakes for Tawny tonight :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

23. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yay! Glad for a positive update!! Prayers still coming... we would never give up on you guys!! *hugs*

Don't worry, Tawny! We whiz up de KTSS chicken soup so it goez tru de tube!! --Willie

24. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

So glad to hear Tawny's e-tube went in without complications. We're still holding you in our thoughts and prayers!!

Amy

25. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

Prayers for you and Tawny ((((((hugs)))))

If there is ever anything you need, or questions, please message me anytime. I tube fed Garland for over a month recently and gave SQ fluids. I'm here if you need me.

26. MikeysMom

MikeysMom Well-Known Member

Go, Tawny, go!

SQ fluids are a piece of cake once you get the hang of it!

27. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Desi: sending your beloved Tawny lots of prayers, good wishes, caring thoughts, and healing vines. I hope by the time I get home on Sunday, she'll be home, eating, happy, healthy!!!!

28. DD & Tinkerbell

I just talked to Steven at LVRC, he said Tawny seems much better than yesterday and that her ketones were down from yesterday, 8-8.5mg per deciliter, (15 yesterday) but still not gone.

He said she is resting comfortably, seemed more alert than yesterday, and has been fed.

Dr. Amanda left me a voicemail, which I just got, and ckd (the cell phone service here in Mayberry ain't that great), & here's what she said:

They were offering Tawny food before feeding her via the etube and that she "nibbled a little." Can you believe that? Tawny NIBBLED A LITTLE! :D :D :D However not enough so she is getting fed via her etube mostly.

& also that Tawny had been moving around a little and that she had started her on some oral meds, Dr. Amanda did not elaborate on what those were on the voice mail but said she would give me another update in the morning. She's been really good about giving me at least 2 or 3 updates a day, even tho I don't usually get the morning one til around 11 a.m. or so after they have finished their rounds.

Maybe just maybe I'll even get to go visit my baby tomorrow or Friday! I can't wait to see her...I mean hug her. I am gonna hug her for every single one of you too.

Desi

29. mybuddybinks

she is amazing, Desi...

big huggie from us...

[​IMG]

WAIT...THAT'S NOT RIGHT...

HERE WE GO :D

[​IMG]

30. DD & Tinkerbell

Yeah, all of the hugs above, but where's the one from Binksie?

She must be lovin' all the good food you guys whipped up for her today, especially that KTSS chicken soup,cuz, did you hear?...SHE NIBBLED! SHE ACTUALLY NIBBLED!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

31. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Please give Miss Tawny some scritches too. :D :D :D :D :D Yay for continued positive news!!!!!

32. mybuddybinks

Tawny...i gotz nice ham-muck fur u to res' an 'cuperate on...
    sweet kisses
    binks

Attached Files:

33. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

There's no "give up" from Tawny and no "giving up" from her LL supporters! Lots of positive energy and healing vines coming your way!

34. mybuddybinks

:lol: :lol: :lol:
    i just realized...if you click that thumbnail, then click again...
    you can zoom in and see...
    BINKSY'S FIRST "HELLO KITTY" PURSE at the bottom of the cat gym! :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh, my little Metro-sexual boy...

35. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

She nibbled!!!! So happy to hear that she's making some steps forward, even if they're small ones. Progress is progress!! :) Continuing the think of you both and there will be no giving up.

36. DD & Tinkerbell

Tawny wants to know can she borrow it to bring her stuff home from the hospital in? & maybe stop off for a nice little rest in Binksie's ham-muck if he promises to curl up w/her there for a while?

37. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

When I spoke to Dr. A, these were not new meds, but switching some of the existing meds from injectible to oral (to go down the tube). This is a cost-saving measure. The orals are cheaper. The LVRC is really working with DCIN on costs. Dr. A found a vial of Vitamin B injectible that a client had donated, and that is now Tawny's vial and will be going home with her.

I am thrilled she nibbled. Keep it up, Miss Tawny!!

38. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

I'd really really really really really push for ondansetron. Try a humour me approach. Someone on FAF posted that they found them for $30 at costco - cheaper than online - less than 1$ per 4mg pill which is 4 doses. You can put the meds in the tube. The liver makes a cat feel really bad, which may be the reason for the lack of appetite causing a repeat of DKA. It is a cornerstone for cats with feeding tubes. Cerenia is used for vomiting. Reglan/metoclopromide is used for nausea due to low stomach motility and pepcid is used for nausea due to stomach acid. But Ondansetron is worth its weight in gold in addressing nausea in cats which a lot of vets just aren't educated in.

39. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

I agree with Karrie on the ondansetron. When Tarragon had pancreatitis, it helped a LOT! Thinking of you and sweet Tawny!!

40. Violet and Garland

Violet and Garland Well-Known Member

I completely agree with Karrie and Melissa. Once I started Garland on the ondansetron she was a different kitty. Started getting her energy back and I could tell she felt better. I had to demand they write me a script because my vet never considered it before. Lol He was a bit wary at first, but now because of Garland, he did some research, and he prescribes it to all his etube kitties now :D

41. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

I just checked the detail of Tawny's bill that I received yesterday, and ondansetron is not one of the medications DCIN is being charged for.

I will mention this to the vet the next time I speak with her, and I am sure Desi will also.

42. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Venita please do. Its a human medication though - ondansetron is the generic of zofran. You can get a hand written prescription and call around for the cheapest place. Costco was a place an FAF member posted on yesterday - you don't have to be a member to use their pharmacy. I'm offering to buy the prescription ondansetron for Tawny. Thriving pets online is $1/pill. Plumbs guide says up to 4mg twice daily but 95% of the cats on the FAF site are on 1mg twice daily. So one 4mg pill is four doses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.