12/6 Tawny Late PM Update; Ketones level info just added

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by DD & Tinkerbell, Dec 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DD & Tinkerbell

DD & Tinkerbell Well-Known Member

Dr. Amanda Traub at LVRC gave me the following update on Tawny earlier today:

BGs are running around 260, she is still getting the constant insulin infusion.

Her potassium levels are low, she is getting the max of whatever she can get to bring her potassium levels up, I think she said "potassium chloride" (is that right?) Also that the insulin would help bring her potassium level back up.

Electrolytes are not normal and they are trying to bring those back up.

The etube was not put in this morning b/c Tawny's potassium level is so low, they are trying to bring it up (& I guess the electrolytes too) to where they feel it is safe to sedate Tawny, they are not planning on giving her anesthesia at this time. Dr. T was hoping they would be able to do the etube this afternoon. She is going to call me b4 she leaves the clinic w/an update in about 2 hrs.

They are concerned about getting nutrition into her right now, they tried to put the ng tube in but Dr. T said "it stressed Tawny out so much that we didn't". She said Tawny is not getting dextrose at this time b/c her BGs are not where they want them to be for her to be getting dextrose, between 150-250 is where she said she'd like it to be.

Tawny's ketones as of Monday night were "80mg per dcl". Of course I don't understand that so then she said "in the dark purple." She is hoping to see this start to clear w/in 24 hrs from that, which would be about the time she is supposed to call me later.

They really are doing everything they can to save her again...Dr. Amanda (Traub) (intern) is really going above and beyond the call of duty, Dr. Hebert is still Tawny's primary vet, but most of my contact this time has been w/Dr. Amanda...In my heart I truly believe that the vets and techs at LVRC really do care about the animals and do actually love Tawny dearly.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 12/6 Tawny Update

Potassium is one of the electrolytes you need to keep an eye on with DKA. Phosphorus is the other.

When Tawny is stable, you do need to have a heart to heart about them listening to you. If they haven't figured it out by now, you are a committed and knowledgeable caregiver. I sent Venita the abstract on blood vs. urinary ketones along with Sharyn/Fiona's info on the Precision meter. I'd also make sure they teach you about how to give fluids.

Sending lots of vines and snowflakes for Tawny and support for you.

3. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update. Sending tons of healing vines to sweet sweet Tawny.

4. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

I am still keeping you and Tawny in my thoughts and prayers.

5. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/6 Tawny Still Waiting for PM Update

I am still waiting for them to call ... I called just b4 LVRCs normal dr.-leaving-time and was told they were doing an emergency procedure & someone would still call me back ASAP - I specifically asked if it was on Tawny and was told it was not, it was an animal that had just been brought in.

I will post as soon as I know s/thg.

Thank you everyone once again for all the prayers, vines, snowflakes & everything else, again.

I am still at THS so posting is sporadic at the moment.

Desi

6. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Am still keeping her in my thoughts and prayers. I wish for her to make a full and speedy recovery. :YMHUG:

7. Linda for Weezer

Linda for Weezer Well-Known Member

Prayers for Tawny. Get well sweet baby.

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Keeping you and tawny in our thoughts. Be well little one.

9. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Thinking of you.

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

((((((((((Desi and Tawny)))))))))) keeping you in our thoughts and sending all the white light we can generate.

11. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: for you, beautiful Tawny! Please get well soon.
    Rusty

Desi, I hope that you will get good news tonight that they will soon be able to put in the e tube. I've been thinking of you all day. Lots of healing vines for your girl tonight.

Ella

12. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Just popped in to check on Tawny and send you hugs.

Please join the FAF forum and start reading on etubes - feeding, care etc so you are ready.

More hugs your way.

13. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hugs and feel better soon vines being sent to Tawny and you.

14. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

healing vines and snowflakes for Tawny tonight and hugs for the Bean :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

15. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi Desi
    will be thinking of Tawny and hoping for lots of positive news.
    get well soon Tawny cat_pet_icon
    (((hugs))) to you both!

17. DD & Tinkerbell

Here is the latest update on Tawny from about an hour ago, Dr. Amanda Traub called me just as I was leaving THS and said they were still in that emergency procedure (so that would have been 3-4 hrs) but that she had stepped away for a minute and didn't want me to think she had forgotten me! My battery was dead on my laptop at THS so I came on home (40 minute drive, longer tonite in this bad weather) then fed the horses & other critters & took care of Tinkerbell & her pm shot, feeding, etc.

Sorry for the delay...

Tawny shows "slight improvement" but is not recovering as quickly as she did the 1st time she was in the hospital a month ago. She is sitting up and visiting the water bowl but her condition is still critical.

Tawny's BGs are "good" (that's a quote from Dr. Amanda), holding in the 240 range. Tawny's potassium level is slowly going up, 2 what they are shooting for (I don't know if that means normal or for doing the etube), it was 3.5 this a.m. & 2.9 when she called, about an hr or so ago.

Dr. T is very concerned about getting nutrition into Tawny and said she syringe fed her this afternoon, not enough to make her aspirate but enough to get some nutrition into her. They are planning to do the etube in the morning.

They did an FPL and expect those results back tomorrow morning.

Regarding DIC, Dr. T said they did not consider Tawny to "be in that category right now" b/c her blood work does not indicate it. They also tested her for toxoplasmosis and are awaiting those results. She said she would discuss the possibility of a plasma transfusion with Dr. Arceneaux, the clinic's owner and head honcho, tomorrow also.

She hadn't checked Tawny's ketone levels b4 she called but was going to do that b4 she left today and call me back or leave me a voice mail, I've not heard anything on that yet.

I am studying up extensively on giving SubQ fluids and etube feedings online and already told Dr T I would be "textbook ready" when I came down there for my field training when Tawny comes home this time, well, for good, with me having the right tools to keep her well. She is totally on board w/that.

I will update as I get new info & thank you everyone please keep us still in your hearts and prayers. I don't care so much about me, I'm tough (altho I live for the day I get to turn into the biggest wimp on the planet), but Tawny still needs you all desperately & she and I both thank you from the depths of our souls. Again.

Desi

18. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

sending our love to T-Bear....

celi & binks

19. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Extra special prayers for Tawny tonight, together with the vines, snowflakes, and love,

Ella & Rusty

Thinking of you, ((((Desi)))). Hang in there.

20. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/6 Tawny Late PM Update

Sending more prayers and healing vines for Tawny. (((Desi)))

21. DD & Tinkerbell

Re: 12/6 Tawny PM Ketones

Just got the voicemail from Dr Amanda re Tawny's ketone levels tonight: 15mgs per deciliter & they were 80 yesterday morning so those are definitely coming down.

I apologize for my layman's version of that if it is not medically correct, but it is virtually a "quote" off my voicemail ~ Desi

22. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Wonderful news! :D :D :D :D

23. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

continued prayers coming your way for Tawny.....

24. Sophia

Sophia Well-Known Member

I hope Tawny will be much better soon and I am sending her my best vibes and prayers.

25. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Sending tons of healing vines and prayers that Tawny will come home healthy and happy soon!

26. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Tawny

Continued very strong prayers for Tawny.
    I hope getting the etube goes well this morning, and that she continues to improve and is feeling well enough to come home soon.

27. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending Tawny and you many healing vines and prayers. I hope all goes well with the procedure. Hugs.

28. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Big hugs from us, Desi. Along with many thoughts, prayers, vines and snowflakes for Tawny's etube insertion to go through as planned, successfully, for her to make a speedy recovery, and for you all to be back home where you belong soon!

29. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Oh, I am so glad her ketones are coming down. Many hugs and healing vines for a successful day today. I hope she is strong enough for the e-tube and soon she will be getting all the food she needs.

Bless you Desi, for working so hard to save Tawny's life. cat_pet_icon

30. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Thank you for the report. Thinking of Tawny and you and hoping for continued improvement.
    Liz

31. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Thank you for the update .. I'm keeping ALL of you in my thoughts and prayers .. :YMHUG: hang in there guys ..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.