newest research on acro from the ACVIM proceedings:

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Patti and Merlin, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Altho there has been a similar report in the past this is the latest research stated at the 2011 ACVIM forum in Colorado this June. I have the CD with all the lectures given but this was the first i read:

In a lecture by Dr. Lunn from Colorado State University at the 2011 ACVIM Forum Proceeding, she stated:

Feline acromegaly has historically been regarded as a rare condition, however recent findings suggest that it may be significantly under diagnosed. In a study of 184 diabetic cats, 59 had markedly increased IGF-1 concentrations, and acromegaly was confirmed in 17 of 18 cats that were examined by computerized tomography (CT), magnetic resonance imaging (MRI), or necropsy. These findings have suggested that any cat with clinical features of acromegaly including insulin resistance, should be screened for this disorder.

At the same forum, Dr. Niessan from London, UK stated:

“Feline acromegaly is now being recognized as an important cause of feline DM, largely as a result of two remarkable prevalance studies.  Both these studies suggested that feline acromegaly occurs in a significant proportion of diabetic cats with estimates ranging from 1 in 3 to 1 in 4.  Even when adhering to the more conservative estimate, this has justified the initiation of several studies on various aspects of this endocrinopathy, including more careful evaluation of etiology, clinical presentation, and management aspects.”

2. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

thanks for sharing that, patti. i've heard that same statistic, that as many as 1 in 3 diabetic cats may have acromegaly. makes me wonder if there are other, non-typical presentations of it. for example, that libby's jazzy is a small female . . . perhaps they'll wander over into looking at that question in the next year's research.

3. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

thanks for sharing, patti. it's good the medical field is catching up to what we've been seeing here.
    in a perfect world where lab tests didn't cost a dime, it sure would be nice if all diabetic felines would be routinely tested for acromegaly, IAA, and chronic pancreatitis!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Shadoe was a very small female, and I had to force my old vet office to have her tested which took months.
    They argued that she did not look acro at all, had a fine featured face and head, and she is female.
    Even when one knows, there are too many vets dismissing the possibility.

5. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Yes - like everyone has said - I wish the test was so much more affordable for everyone. Especially those in Canada. I know in some ways the treatment is the same - as giving insulin - but now with their being SRT available - or even trying Octreotide - the sooner getting to some of this - the better it can be. AND with more being diagnosed - the more attention will be paid to this - thus maybe more studies and treatment becoming more affordable.

For me - it's exciting to see what we said all along be proven more and more. And to see - in some ways how far we've come - from the days of taking a year or more to be diagnosed to now it taking much less time. From no treatment except palliative care to having SRT available. From having a small group searching for anything we can find on line to having "stickies", groups to go to for support, different thoughts - it's amazing to me.

We have so many people and their kitties in the past that led the way for all of this! :)

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thanks for sharing this info Patti.

7. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Patti, would it be possible to get a link from you for this or some info on how to get that cd? i'm sure my vet is aware of this but just in case i'd love to forward this info to her. she diagnosed 2 acros this last year and has another she believes may be. came in as a new client on 18 units of humulin bid which no one could believe and she switched kitty over to lantus and last weekend when i was in i inquired and she said she's got him to 3 units lantus bid now but she still thinks he could be acro. i'm going to be in again this coming saturday and of course will inquire again :)

8. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

I had preordered the CD - I'm not sure if you can still order it or not. I could make a copy I think for you if you would like Cindy or at least copy the lecture for you.

9. bev5477

bev5477 Well-Known Member

Thanks Patti, Good info.

10. Punkyp

Punkyp Member

Thanks for posting this Patti!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.