1/28 Sasha AMPS - 120

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Sashasmom, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

she ate at +11. i tried to sneak the crushed pill in her food. she ate some of it, maybe half, but no way of knowing how much of the pill she got. and she's starting to not want to eat.

I bought cheese, (parmesan and goats milk and brie. i'll see if she'll eat any of that. I am getting a shipment of fortiflora tomorrow.) and i'm trying to find large temptation treats to try to stuff those. unfortunately, she is one smart kitty. :roll:

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Have you thought about looking for that pill pusher device?
    It really is important for her to get the meds and she is getting too smart now... :lol:
    I hate it when they get that smart about their meds...impossible situation!
    Maybe the cheese will work...rooting for you! :D

3. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

If you ever get the hang of it... please give us the manual. I have to get Spacey started on some 1x day med's as well very soon.
    Good luck! ;-)

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

Hi there, responding to your PM on pilling. Fun stuff (not!)

What has worked for us:
    1. Temptation-pill pocket sandwiches. (eta: this is Jojo's trick). Take half a pill pocket, put pill into it, stick it onto Temptation treat and offer with treat side up. Worked well for a few weeks until she bit into the clavamox pill one day, then she wouldn't touch a Temptation sammich or treat (which she loves!) for MONTHS! ohmygod_smile
    2. Take a soft treat (Friskies Tender, Whisker Lickin's Tender Moments), squish pill in and mould so that entire pill is covered. You may have to break pill into two or three pieces if is bigger pill, check with vet if the pill can be cut (if you're crushing it, it can be cut). Start with a yummy treat that she likes (we use IVD), then soft treat without pill, then soft treat with pill, then yummy treat again.
    3. Coat pill with butter and push it down throat. Remember to chase with plenty of water - I think I give 6 mls. This method worked three or four times . What sucked about this was her tongue was all buttery afterwards, and she couldn't pick up any food/treat, everything just slid off her tongue. :sad:
    4. Pill gun, followed by water chaser. This one worked once, then she wised up to it and got really good at spitting long-distance ohmygod_smile
    5. Manual pilling, with bare hand. You'll have to act QUICKLY in flicking pill over hump of tongue or she'll spit it back up. Also, sticking kitty in a klaw kontrol bag is the only way we could do this. We actually managed to pull it off, with help of said klaw kontrol bag, for ten days. :thumbup Kitty burrito didn't work, she'd work one paw out, and start smacking us while we were trying to peer into her mouth to see if pill was gone. Remember to always follow with water chaser.

What I've read about but haven't tried, or tried but it didn't work for us:
    1. Coat pill with cream cheese. Found out she didn't like cream cheese :roll:
    2. Butter bullet. Stick pill into butter, freeze for a little bit to solidify, shove down throat. She spat it out :lol:
    3. Mix in food. You know about pills and food aversion.
    4. Wrap in small slice of cheese or ham and feed as treat. Figured she was too smart for that, didn't try it.
    5. Crush and mix in tuna/clam juice, then syringe down throat with needleless oral syringe. Too stressful for kitty and beans, and kitty wound up wearing what looked suspiciously like more than half the med.

Here's a site with more tips. PJ (of PJ and Cagney) tried the Kleenex method - she swallowed a pill covered with a thin layer of Kleenex to see how it'd go. She lived to tell the tale :mrgreen:

eta: Meowzi can keep a pill in her mouth and not swallow. We've held her for a whole five mins, opened her mouth, and pill was still there. So watch for that too.

5. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

1/28 Sasha PMPS - 87

wow, thanks! those are lots of wonderful suggestions.
    i will look them over cuz i tried again tonite my usual way and so far, no luck
    Thanks again!!

6. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

1/28 Sasha PMPS - 87

Thanks soooo much WCF!!! : :mrgreen:

I cut the pill in quarters and crushed one of the quarters. i put it between some wet freeze dried salmon and much to my surprise, she ate it. (she had been refusing the LC freeze dried salmon before but this time she ate it.) some of the powder was coming off, so i took the other three pieces and without crushing them made one of your whiskers "soft treat sandwiches". she gobbled them all up!! I could not believe it! i guess she was hungry and hadn't had HC (i'm assuiming its a HC snack) in soooo long she didn't even realize there was a piece of pill stuck in there.

thanks again. i hope it works tomorrow too! :smile:

7. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Hope Sasha feels better!! Hugs from US!!!!!!!!!

8. pjstroop

pjstroop Member

Yahoooo! Glad that you found something that worked with Miss finicky.. :mrgreen:
    Very sneaky!

Feel better soon Sasha!

9. Sashasmom

Sashasmom Member

1/28 Sasha +4 - 88

thanks everyone!

ni ni :)

10. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

That's awesome that you were able to pill Sasha! Those hints were great and I copied them and bookmarked the site the WCF gave you.

I hope Sasha feels better really soon and you can continue to offer her those 'treats' with the sneaky medicine inside. Good luck!

11. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.