1/28 Jan and Buddy PMPS 276 +3.45 359

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Jan and Buddy, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

I loaded R in syringe with I THINK about .5 1.0 and then I shoot excess out to what I need. This morning I forgot to shoot out excess so I THINK he got at least .5 if not 1.0. or POSSIBLY a little more nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile nailbite_smile

I'm kind panicking here, I gave him his normal 7.0L
    I need to go to work, but I don't think I should leave him alone, right!!!

Please advise.
    Jan

2. Monique & Spooky

Monique & Spooky Well-Known Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy

If your not sure then the only way to know is to keep checking. You know R works fast, so if he starts rocketing down, then you probably gave to much. R is also out fast so that's a good thing. Let's hope if it was too much it either turns out to a good dose, or the IAA cancel it out anyway. Check and report.....will be waiting

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

4. Heather and Jasper

Heather and Jasper Member

Is your husband home today and do you have HC on hand?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I agree with Ronnie and Monique -- you need to monitor this in order to know whether you shot too much. The good news is you'll know soon given how quickly R works.

How are you situated with strips and HC?

6. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Yes, Heather but I'm not going anywhere, I will stay here. The worst that can happen is he goes low and I just give HC right. I'm just afraid he going to go really low. Am I panicky and over reacting for nothing???

7. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

I have plenty of both. I can't believe I did that,

8. Heather and Jasper

better to be panicky over nothing then have the worst happen

(((Jan and Buddy)))

9. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Should I just go ahead and start giving a little HC, or wait till he goes low?? At what point(number) should I give the HC????????

10. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Don't beat yourself up, Jan. These things happen! We have so much on our minds, we're bound to make mistakes. Just keep checking him...if he drops, you'll catch it and take care of it. Hang in there!

11. Heather and Jasper

Lets get a +1 and see where he is going then

(((Jan))) Don't beat yourself up to much over it. This has happened to others before. Even I've done it.

12. Monique & Spooky

I would wait on the food to see if he even drops, I'm just theorizing here but with IAA's the chances are the more insulin that's present the more antibodies will put out against it. You don't want to over feed and then have him not eat when it's nessisary, plus you want to see if he's gonna drop then you can feed accordingly. The R should begin working in the first hour.

13. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

I wouldn't feed HC until you have numbers to suggest that it's needed. If you didn't give an excess dose or it doesn't drop Buddy that low, you won't know. Just steer the numbers if and when you need to control them.

14. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hang in there Jan...we all goof at time...I am just SO happy that you
    REALIZED it right away....when i make mistakes, i usally don't know immediately.
    Good for you for catching it!!! Good job!

15. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy UPDATE

5:45-477
    6:00-541
    6:07-260-fluke??
    6:08-437
    6:09-415

You know I have noticed that each ear gives a different number reading???? It's the same blood???

will check back in a little bit.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

16. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Probably a minute-by-minute check is a little much and will make you crazy. If you want to monitor closely, check in 15 min.

17. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

OMG Jan - ur killing me! U gonna be a testaholic doing minute testing. I gotta admit, I did that too, @-) poor ears. lol

Yes, each ear can give different numbers, but also same numbers too, cats are weird, they like to throw us off all the time, you're doing great Jan!!!
    :thumbup

18. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Sienne,
    I wasn't really planning on a min/min testing :lol: :lol: it just at that moment the numbers seemed weird so thats why I retested!!!

Your funny!!! You guys will start calling me "Ronnie Jr!!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:

:YMHUG: RONNIE!!

19. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy UPDATE +2 334 +2.5 264

I'm at work, when I left Buddy he was at 230. It had been 3.5 hours since the R shot. Do you think he will not go to much lower????

Was late to work so won't be able to go home until end of day.
    Jan

20. Monique & Spooky

I don't think anyone can predict 100% what's gonna happen. Just this...R doesn't last much beyond 4-5 hours, hower at about +3 the Lantus is going to start wotking and it now is begining with a lower number. I can't open SS for some reason (google problem) but I think you have shot this dose (7U?) on a lower Preshot and you have worked up to this dose systematically, and it is the dose Buddy needs, so I THINK it should be ok. He has plenty of food right? Is anyone around at all just to look at him once or twice? I hope this turns out to be a nice cycle for him. It looks good so far.

21. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Yeah, thats what I was thinking about the Lantus kicking in!! So I'm going to rush home at lunch just to make sure!! I'm sitting here at work not being able to concentrate!!!! :roll:

Monique
    Did you see the post I wrote you about your statment at the end of your sig?? That is one of my favorite statements, cause boy does it fit me!!!!!! Especially after the am!! Your my kind of thinker!! :lol: :lol:
    Jan

22. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I would be useless at work, too. If you left food out, he knows to eat if he needs to.

I think this is one reason we high dosers like to keep the base insulin dose low as long as we can and use R as a supplement, at least you don't have to worry about a huge amount in the shed kicking in.

Maybe you'll just get a awesome cycle this time!

23. Monique & Spooky

It's so true isn't it! Another one of my fav's "A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" :D

Of course in internet forums I'm often saying "Silence is often misinterperted.....but never misquoted" :roll:

I definatly have enough enough crazy around me, if I could sell it I'd be rich, but the supply seems to be plentiful out there, so the demand is rather low :sad:

Cogito ergo sum.

24. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy AMPS +6.5 139

Was able to go home at lunch and check him. He was 139, gave him some LC food. Hope by the time I get home tonight he will still be OK.

Thanks Everyone for your concern!!!!

25. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy AMPS +6.5 139

Nice number!!!!!! He probably won't go much lower, Jan, so this will be a great cycle!

26. Jan and Buddy

Jan and Buddy Member

Re: 1/28 Jan and Buddy PMPS 276

WCR He seems to be fine even tho his mama was a wreck all day!!! He ate good, is a little playful etc.

So I guess going with a little higher dose on R would be OK when needed?????

How many R USERS are there out there???? I don't know if there has ever been a number given on that??

27. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Im glad everything ended up okay.

I thought about you two a few times today.

And hey...what great PMPS!!!!!! :mrgreen:

28. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Wow Jan, you had quite a day! Looks like Buddy came through with flying colors. :smile:

I think Jojo wanted you to use small amounts of R because Buddy responds to small doses so well.

Here's her whole post: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3944

I think the real answer will come when we see if/how much Buddy bounces from his big drop today. So far it doesn't look bad at all! :smile:

29. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

hi jan! heard you had an exciting day. hey, stuff happens. we've all done it.
    remember what i told you about doing an R curve to pinpoint onset/nadir/duration? i just checked SS and really you have not done one yet.

"but but but what about 1/16?" jan asked in disbelief.

jojo replied "ah but jan not every cat has their whole R curve in 4 hours (remember for example my cat? that doesn't even start his onset until +4 on R?) the curve was suppose to continue until you knew nadir had for sure happened and numbers started back up. if you notice on the partial curve you did, it sure looks like buddy has a late R nadir!"

"and this is important to know?" asked jan.

"why yes." said jojo "then when something like today happens you would have known that the +3.5~230 you got on today's unknown dose was not as low as he was going to go, nadir was yet to come."

"hmmmm." said jan as she pondered her SS realizing that indeed she did have a late nadir R cat!

"well we do not know if he got 0.5 or 1.0 unit of R today, but either way we do know that we for sure do not want to bump up your basic R dose at this time, that 300 point (at least, maybe more) drop that happened today is not what we are looking for" said jojo, coughing weakly as she typed.

"oh i heard you had the killer flu jojo (on top of everything else), thanks for stopping by. i got what you are saying~ i need to do a full R curve this weekend and when you are here on oldtimers caturday this weekend i'll post what i think is my R onset, nadir and duration and you'll double check me?" jan asked.

jojo replied, "why sure thing jan, that sounds great! one just cannot work 2 insulins together without knowing your cat's normal onset/nadir/duration of each, it just is not possible. more than anyone else the basal/bolus user simply must know those things or they will get into trouble, the dreaded double nadir is something that basal/bolus users strive to avoid, they cause too much of a drop, and ya can't avoid it if you don't know it. okay i have to go. you did good today, didn't panic. hmm...although that minute by minute testing ya did there was hmm...well not exactly needed, like other said, that will only drive you to funny farm."

"jojo? is that a long drive?" giggled jan.

ni-ni jan! get some sleepus! i'll sees ya later :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.