12/30 Morris AMPS 214; +9 428; PMPS 419 & rebound question..

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Gwen and Morris, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=213&p=2235#p2235

Looks like today is off to another great start! Thankfully, Morris did eat all of his snacks last night. He seems to be in a good mood this morning.....he wanted play time instead of poke time! LOL!

:evil:

2. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 12/30 Morris AMPS 214

Have I ever mentioned how I am NOT a patient person?!?! Since I hadn't heard back from my vet's office about Morris' fructosamine (drawn Monday morning), I called them around 10am to find out what was going on. Turns out, they still do not have his result back! The tech I was speaking with said that if they don't get his results back by this afternoon, that she will call the lab & find out what is taking so long.

3. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Re: 12/30 Morris AMPS 214 - Fructosamine result in

I am devastated! My vet called me at work a short time ago to give me the results from the fructosamine we had drawn on Monday - 486!!! That is up from his 480 on his initial fructosamine which was done Sept 4 (just over 1 month from him starting on insulin).

As my vet & I discussed this, she reminded me that a fructosamine number is just 1 piece to this diabetes puzzle. The fact that he has gained weight, his drinking/urine has levelled off, his BG numbers are doing well (especially the past couple days!) are all things to celebrate. As we looked at Morris' ss together, she pointed out the 'bad' days he had Dec 19, 23 & 26 which would also be influencing this fructosamine number.

Overall, my vet is pleased with the progress Morris has made over the past few months. She is pleased with all of my reporting & thinks I am doing a great job with him.

The tech had noticed a little boo-boo near Morris' butt when she was drawing his blood on Monday which we are monitoring. If this doesn't heal itself in the next few days, we may need to go see the vet & have it properly examined early in the New Year. If we do have to go see her & if we do continue to see GREAT numbers on his ss like we have the past few days, we may decide to repeat the fructosamine again then.

4. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Re: 12/30 Morris AMPS 214 - fructosamine result in

Aww, Morris. Sorry about the butt-boo boo. (I just wanted to say that, hee, hee!)

Gwen, your vet is correct, you are doing great with Morris. The numbers are improving, symptoms diminishing and most importantly, Morris is feeling better which is the number one goal!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Did your vet happen to give you reference ranges? You might want to look at this http://www.vetsulin.com/vet/Cats_Monito ... cated.aspx. The numbers they provide would suggest that Morris is within fair control. Which, if you look at his SS is a pretty reasonable interpretation.

6. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

Agree that the test is a fairly accurate assessment given the SS numbers.

Some more fructosamine information:
    http://www.sugarcats.com/infirmary/fructosamine.asp
    http://petdiabetes.wikia.com/wiki/Fructosamine

If the blood sample was lipemic or hemolyzed, that could also skew the results. A common cause of lipemia is a non-fasted sample. A common cause of hemolysis is a non-jugular blood draw or a not skilled phlebotomist.

Is there a reason your vet wants the fructosamine levels checked rather than just looking at the real-time data you are collecting?

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

As Sienne said, he is doing fairly well since his number is under 400...
    and I agree with your vet~you are doing a great job! Keep up the good work! :)

8. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Thank you all for your supportive comments!!

I had not seen the site that Sienne linked to me, but had previously viewed the sites that Cassandra sent. I really liked the chart on the vetsulin site....I had been searching for information on fructosamines & trying to figure out what number we would like to see.....that chart gives great information! I have printed it out & will be forwarding it to my vet.

I didn't realize that fructosamines should be done fasting - he hadn't been fasting prior to the draw on Monday! My vet had suggested another fructosamine be done at some point in time the last time we chatted (about 2-3 weeks ago) just to see where he was at - I also wanted a fructosamine to be done so I could compare numbers (especially since I work & can't do as many spot checks on him as some people do). In hindsight, it was probably my inpatience that caused this unfriendly number - my vet wanted me to have it done when he had been at a consistant dose for 20 days or so.....on Monday, he had only been at this dose for about 14-15 days (and, Murphy's Law, has had GREAT numbers since the blood draw which, of course, aren't reflected in this number!). I told my vet I would be in agreement to having the fructosamine done 2 or 3 times per year if she wants them done (thankfully, cost isn't a huge factor in his treatment).

9. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Where the heck did this ugly RED come from ?!?!?! I want my NICE colors back!!!!

10. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Re: 12/30 Morris AMPS 214; +9 428

I hate to say this but I always considered a fructosamine test to be a waste of money if you are home testing. As a matter of fact, my Morris went hypo not once but twice when I relied on fructosamine tests only. If you think about it, it is giving you the average of the BG over a certain period of time. What is the average of 100 and 500....300, good number right??

I'm probably not explaining this right but I know I wouldn't waste the money on the test if you have your own numbers at hand.

So glad to see Morris in better numbers (well, except for that RED today) and feeling better, no matter what the test says!

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Somebody probably dropped low and bounced!

I think a lot of vets are used to getting fructosamine tests because they aren't used to working with people who test the way we do.It's their only way to have some sort of data upon which to base a dose recommendation. As Cassandra pointed out, we collect real time data and don't need a 2 - 3 week average.

Frankly, my vet suggested a fructosamine test after I started home testing. I whipped out my SS and asked, "Wouldn't this be more accurate?" She's never asked again. I also sent her the link to Gabby's SS.

12. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

there's Morris' delayed bounce again, just when you think you got away without much rebound BAM there it is. At least he usually comes down quickly too.

13. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

sure this is a high before a break...
    come on down morris!

14. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

He's come down a bit, but is still in the icky red zone! Why?!?! I have not done anything different for him the past few days when we were having such wonderful numbers! The only thing that I could think of that was different was that on Christmas Day I fed him some Fancy Feast that Santa brought for him.....he hasn't had any more of it since then. Tonight, in desperation, I have given him some more. I gave him 1/2 can for his meal now & I put the other 1/2 can in his timed feeder for his +5 snack (he will have his usual 1/4 can Friskies for his +2 and +8 snacks). Hopefully those nice numbers will come back again soon!!!!!

15. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Rebound question....

So, if we think he rebounding, is it due to too much or too little insulin? How can we get him to level off & stop bouncing?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.