1/26 Stu AMPS 335

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA), Jan 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone. Stu's AMPS (335) is the lowest in the 7 days I've been testing. But last night at 11 P.M. his bedtime BG was 293, up from the PMPS BG of 269. How should this rise be interpreted?! I'm beginning the 3rd day of 4 units bid (when I started testing I was giving 5 units bid, having dropped Stu from the 7 units prescribed by his vet 3 weeks earlier). I'll be interested to see what his numbers are for the rest of today. I'm also going to attempt to get Stu's profile up on the website today. Thanks for all your help.
    Ella

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Good Morning Ella!
    Nice job with attaching Stu's SS....we always link yesterday's "condo" to the fist condo each morning.
    that way, people can click and see what the thread was for the previous day...makes it so much easier to catch up
    with all that happens in each condo....

Here is the link for your condo yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3961

Will come back to see updates later....hope you have a good day!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Nice to see u posting Ella!

How is Stu feeling today? Eating ok, litter box treasures ok? :lol:
    Have a great day Ella! Looking forward to seeing Stu's profile!

4. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Will you be able to test during the day today...say getting BGs every few hours?
    That is called a BG curve...the more data you have on your SS the better we will be able to see what the Lantus is
    doing for Stu. We would like to see when he is at the lowest number (nadir)
    Congratulations of learning to do the testing....it is a vital tool in helping out kitties with FD.

Please reread the posts in yesterday's condo...as well as everything else... :lol: It's a LOT to absorb at first but I am so
    happy that you a re here.

The yellow numbers last night might be what we call a "bounce" after the nice greens during the daytime. We definitely want to
    monitor those lower greens....while they are what we are striving for, when the insulin drives the numbers too low...ie under 50 we
    have to keep checking and giving high carb gravy foods to bring the numbers up. You are giving a large dose of Lantus and there might be wide swings due to that large dose.

Other smarter people will be along to help you with the dosing but I would ask that you take a look at the stickie on Hypos and make sure you have all the things you will need stocked up...it is something that we must have always on had...just in case of low numbers. It is manageable and nothing to be afraid of...always someone here to assist you during that time of low green numbers, but we just like all supplies be on hand...please print out the following if you have not already done so:
    http://www.gorbzilla.com/treating_hypog ... elissa.htm
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1661798
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... msg-925783

You are doing GREAT Ella!
    Welcome to you and Stu :mrgreen: !!!

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Good morning Ella! I've got to get caught up with reading Stu's history but let me try to answer your question about Stu's numbers last night.

There is roughly a 10 - 20% variance in meter readings. This is a normal measurement error. So, if you were to immediately retest, there's a pretty good chance that you would get a different number. The difference between your PMPS and your before bed test was 24 -- this is about a 10% difference between the readings and not anything I would think you should be concerned about. In fact, it looks like there might not have been any big swing in Stu's numbers overnight.

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

I'm going to try to get readings at +8 and +10 this afternoon. I am concerned that Stu's +6 reading was so high (only 33 points lower than his AMPS! see the spreadsheet). I forgot and left the bottle of test strips uncapped for about 5 minutes this morning. Could this be a factor? (True Track meter test strips). Thanks to everyone who is helping me.
    Ella

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Not to alarm you but just wanna give u some info on meter comparisons done by Consumer Reports.
    http://docs.google.com/View?docID=dd5ck ... on=_latest

The True Trak, although inexpensive for strips is rated as the most unreliable.

You're in the U.S I see, you may want to consider heading to Walmart for the Relion meter, many here use that one, it runs around $9 - $12 for the meter, and about $20 for 50 strips, $40ish for 100 strips.
    There are two that most use here, The Relion Micro (newest) and The Relion Ultima, if u check them out, u will want to make sure the strips are for the right Relion meter.

Do u have a back up meter by any chance?

Leaving the bottle of strips opned for a short amount of time should not be a problem, I've done and of course flipped out, lol, but it's nothing compared to forgetting the insulin vial on the counter! :eek:

8. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi again. The high numbers all day are worrisome. I ordered a Walmart meter just in case it is the True Track that is the problem. I'll get it sometime next week (we live 50 miles from one Walmart and 100 from the other; it's winter in the North Country!
    Ella and Stu (who is getting increasingly "antsy" about having his ears pricked)

9. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

I use the Reli-On Micro....love it...I think you can order online too, right?
    That might be good if you can have the strips mailed....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.