Can Squishy borrow a condo for a civie? Non-FD **Updated**

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by squeem3, Mar 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

Update to http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=38765

Emma saw the vet today.The vet didn't recognize me from when I brought Squishy in but that's ok. Emma behaved herself. She didn't hiss or growl like Squishy did. Unlike Leroy who was climbing over everything and even on Dr. B, Emma mostly just sat in her carrier. She surprisingly let the vet exam her. I can barely clip her claws without her putting up a fight :roll: Heart and lungs sound good. Abdominal palpation showed a sensitive painful area around the stomach. Might explain why Emma has been meatloafing and not eating much. An x ray was done and didn't show anything other than poop and bone fragments in the stomach. The vet was surprised about the bone fragments and I told her that it was from the raw nuggets, though the last time Emma had a full raw nugget was Friday. Vet isn't a fan of raw food but said it was ok if I was feeding it. The stomach was kind of full which concerns the vet. She said that a stomach is emptied of food within 90 minutes :?: Emma had a small snack 3 hours prior to the appt. Vet thinks Emma may have a partial blockage that is causing pain but yet still allowing some food to pass through. Vet gave Emma Subq fluids and a shot of Cerenia to help with any nausea. And she took blood and urine for a workup. Tomorrow Emma has to go back for an ultrasound which will hopefully show anything the x ray may have missed.

Emma had a good appetite when she got home. She was able to eat a raw nugget (had been picking at canned since Saturday) and some Prowl.... and Leroy's leftover nugget and almost all of his Prowl :razz:

I think Leroy missed Emma for the few hours we were gone. I found him sleeping on the self-warming cushion. I bought it for him but he never sleeps on it :roll: so Emma claimed it for herself. After dinner, Leroy kept following Emma around... from a safe distance so he doesn't get whacked :lol: He either found all the vet smells on Emma interesting or he missed her so much that didn't want to let her out of his sight now that she was home ;-)

I hope the blockage thing, if it is that, isn't anything too serious nailbite_smile I sent Dr. B an email giving him a heads up on Emma. He's in the office tomorrow so maybe he'll have time to look over Emma's ultrasound results and stuff and give his opinion.0p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p-p- <--- Leroy says hi :lol:

2. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Re: Can Squishy borrow a condo for a civie? Non-FD

Maverick had to get xrays and an enema for constipation (twice). Xrays are a good way to find out whats going on. That hopefully would be an easy thing to resolve and stomach motility will improve right away. Does a raw diet cause constipation?

Maverick got constipated on pure wet food. The vet had never heard of this. His stomach needed a boost and a new fiber source worked (when high doses of cisapride, mirilax and pumpkin did not).

Sending hugs for Emma. Glad she was a good girl.

3. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

I hope Emma gets a great report tomorrow & I'm looking forward to your update. Thinking of you all, prayers & hugs from us to you.

4. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

Positive vines for a good follow-up tomorrow. Hope it is just a one time thing. Maybe a little Miralax daily will solve the problem if nothing else found.

5. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

sending good health vines, positive energy, and prayers for the Divine Miss Emma!

celi & binks

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

just saying how much i like the names squishy and emma. do you call them all in one word? here squishyemma? ;-) :lol:

seriously, i love them. i hope emma's issues "work out."

7. squeem3

Emma can poop just fine (the one seen in the x ray came out this morning) so the vet doesn't think it's constipation.

NV raw supposedly causes constipation because of the high bone content but neither Emma nor Leroy has had any poop problems. I wonder if a bone fragment could have gotten stuck somehow in the opening between the stomach and the intestine and is causing discomfort?

I asked about a hairball being stuck and the vet said it was possible but a dark blot would have shown up in the x ray.

Going to have to take another half day from work today. Fortunately my supervisor is pretty cool about me taking last minute time off (though sometimes I think he thinks I'm nuts for having expensive pets :roll: ) and the one thing I need covered this afternoon can be easily covered. And the one meeting I had just got cancelled.

8. squeem3

Bloodwork came back. As the vet said, the results are boring :lol: Everything is within normal limits. Urine is normal. So I guess it's up to the ultrasound to find what is wrong with Emma's stomach. Dr. B is aware of Emma's issue and will be checking in with the other vet.

9. mybuddybinks

still sending healing vines your way...

10. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

:thumbup Great news! Thanks for the update.. I continue to think & pray for you both.
    FYI, I feed NV too.. I typically pick out most of the bones when I see them.. not sure if that will help.

11. squeem3

Update

We have a DX :thumbup Emma has ileus which is the fancy way of meaning she has zero peristaltic movement in her stomach :eek: The vet said that the ultrasound wand thingy was held over Emma stomach for a good 2 minutes and there was zero movement which is abnormal. She also said that the stomach walls were thickened which indicates inflammation. And that the painful spot she found yesterday was no longer painful. So maybe Emma had something in her stomach that irritated it and later worked its way out. I haven't seen anything unusual in the litter box, though. Emma has liquid metoclopramide to take for the next few days to help increase the peristaltic movement. It must be working because Emma was actually interested in playing half an hour after she had a dose :thumbup

Lantus beans might find this interesting: Emma has a "cute pancrease" :lol: The vet said that was what the ultrasound person told her.

I didn't see Dr. B today. Vet said that he might drop in if he had time but I guess he didn't. I think she was a little surprised that I had told Dr. B about Emma. I did get an email from Dr. B later saying that he was glad everything worked out. I see Dr. B anyways next week when I bring Leroy in.

12. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Re: Can Squishy borrow a condo for a civie? Non-FD **Updated

Good that you got that ultrasound. I bet the metoclopromide will make a difference. Maverick was on it after his pegtube surgery and his stomach wasn't emptying. There is a black box warning on this for humans though, so be aware of the side effects just in case.

Glad to hear she's starting to feel better. Bet she heard the cute pancreas comment *grin*.

13. squeem3

Emma is back to bcatrun_gif with Leroy :D They were both running around this morning after breakfast. Leory was literally bouncing off the walls since he has so much energy stored up from not being able to play with Emma for the past few days.

I wonder what makes a pancrease "cute" as opposed to just normal :lol: Emma did hear the comment but she was too busy grooming her naked belly to respond :lol:

14. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I am so glad to read that Emma is now feeling better and is up and running! Spot was dx'd with ileus in October of 2009 and the vet gave him some meds which helped within 24 hrs. Poor Emma...I know how bad Spot was feeling so I know how bad she was feeling. I'm sure Leroy is very happy to have his friend back to normal, too!
    Have a great day today....everyone is feeling good, which should help :smile:

15. mybuddybinks

great news!! and now Binks is wondering if his pancreas is "cute", "plain", or "unattractive".

sorry, Binks...we're not going in for an ultrasound to find out!

so glad this was good news!

celi & binks

16. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

:D :D :D Good news and playing already, that's what we like to hear.

17. squeem3

:lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.