1/22 Logan AMPS 277, +7 308, PMPS 340

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kelly & Logan, Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Logan

Kelly & Logan Well-Known Member

Yesterday:
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3433

Logan woke me around 4 am purring so I got up and tested/fed him. He ate 1/2 can of FF and seemed to be feeling pretty well. He was at 272.

He was purring at 6am when my alarm went off. Around 6:30, he ate about 3/8 of a can of FF. He was at 277. He got his usual tube feeding and his meds. I spoke to the internist (through her tech) and she said to go ahead and reduce his prednisolone today. He was supposed to get 10mg bid through tonight. She said to not give him any tonight and go to 5mg bid tomorrow as planned. She thinks it's causing some resistance even though his BG has come down. She will be working the ER this weekend so if we have any questions/concerns we can call and talk to her. She said she's not too concerned since the last test showed small to moderate ketones versus moderate to large and he's still eating and seems to feel ok. She hasn't ever seen a false positive side effect of the prednisolone. I did find a couple other sites last night, though, that did say prednisone and prednisolone can in fact cause false positives. I'm going home at lunch to check on him and will try to get another test then. He did not use the LB while I was around this morning.

After eating, he did go and lay under the bed, but that's not out of character for him so it's hard to say if he was feeling ok at that point or not.

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Re: 1/22 Logan AMPS 277

I'm glad the ketones are resolving. I'd have been a wreck so knowing that a false positive is possible with pred is a good piece of information.

Hearing that you have your purring kitty back is great! I hope Logan continues his speedy recovery.

3. Kelly & Logan

I'm still a nervous wreck! She said she'd never seen a false positive. I found the information on a human site, as well as a feline diabetes site, so that makes me feel better. If he hadn't been acting like he felt better last night, I would've taken him in, although I have zero faith in any of the ER vets in my area. I'm glad his internist is around today and over the weekend. I wish I could've gotten a ketone test this morning, but he wasn't cooperative! I'll do my best to get one at lunch.

I may take the afternoon off - I have raging headache and I'm exhausted!

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

I hope Logan keeps improving and the ketones issue gets resolved.

It's good to hear that Logan's purring nicely and I'd take that and his lowering numbers as all good signs.

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Well his BGs have improved...glad you can check him at lunch time though.
    It's good that he seems fine and happy~that's always so great to hear.
    Thinking of you both today and hoping Logan will feel better and better with
    each and every day!

6. Kelly & Logan

Re: 1/22 Logan AMPS 277, +7 308

Up a little from this morning. I just tested his ketones and they're back up to large. I left a voicemail for the internist to call me back. He's not getting the pred tonight. I'm going to increase his insulin - should I increase by 0.25 or 0.5?

He doesn't seem to feel as well this afternoon, but he did purr for me so I take that as a good sign. I'll just wait and see what the internist tells me to do.

7. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Hope the internist calls back soon....sweet Logan....
    better to do something right away, isn't it? ((Kelly))

8. Kelly & Logan

Back in the ugly pinks! He wasn't too interested in eating, either. I don't think he's feel as good as yesterday. He's due for his tube feeding in about 2 hours. I probably won't test him - give him a break. He'll probably get me up around +9 so I'll test him then.

9. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad you increased his insulin, with the possibility of ketones he probably needs the increase. I'm glad Logan is purring so much!

10. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

I just don't understand this. Insulin resistance is a known side effect for Pred at pretty much any dose. If it is needed, though, and it truly sounds like in Logan's case that it is, then you increase the insulin to work around it.

Please keep checking the ketones as often as you can. The fact that they have gone back up is concerning, especially with the lack of interest in food again.

I'm sorry I sound like such a worry wort. It's just that there have been cats here that have gone from small ketones to full blown DKA in a matter of hours, and such high ketone readings make me nervous in a kitty that is not 100% to begin with.

I'm glad you raised the dose. Continuing to send many healing vines.

11. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((kelly))) you must be exhausted from worry alone.
    i have to echo cassandra's comments. when kitties go on pred the dose is usually increased because there's a certain amount of insulin resistance.
    i'm very concerned about the ketone readings coupled with his less than enthusiastic interest in food and high numbers. actually, if there's no change in numbers and you're available to monitor this weekend i would take the dose up to 5 units bid. i'd also try to get as much food (mixed with water) into him as possible. do you have any idea how many calories he's consuming per day?

increasing to 5u is an aggressive approach, but if this is not a false positive ketone reading... the chances of logan going into DKA are highly increased.

just some thoughts from another worry wort...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.