1/21 Morris AMPS 470

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Brenda and Morris, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Yesterday: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3348

WCR: Morris is a little more frisky this morning but still not eating on his own....except Temptation treats. What do they put in those things that a cat will eat them when nothing else? Litter box had a good size pee this morning and a little bigger than silver dollar size pudding poo around 1 a.m. He drank a good bit of water when I got up with him for his +8.

WBR: Exhausted, tired of defending myself to friends who don't understand going the extra mile for their pets, worried about my boy, but hopeful...that the darn UPS truck gets here early so I don't have to pill him again (a transdermal gel form of the metrodiazole is on its way here). Syringe feeding is bad enough!

Morris is acting strange also...couldn't find him at 4 a.m. and then found him sleeping on top of my workbench in my studio (my studio is where his cat window leads to on the way to the screened porch that he likes so much). It's pretty cold here yet, especially at night, and after I made him come in for testing and an attempt at food, he went right back out there and that's where he was at 8 a.m. this morning.

Thank you all for your prayers and vines....they ARE working....keep it up!

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

My cats loved those Temptations....I remember giving a few to each at night a long time ago...
    I wonder what is in them cause the kitties go wild for them.....maybe they are filling him up enough that he
    doesn't feel like eating anything else....
    Hope Morris feels better today....

(And uh Brenda, I guess this forum is the only place you can be sure to find understanding....)
    A lot of people out there in the world are cold and very nasty. They simply cannot understand the lengths we will go for our sugarbabies....forget about that type of person....we understand... :YMHUG:
    Don't waste your time trying to explain anything to them....they are not equipped to understand...

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

(((BRENDA))) today is National Hugging Day and we're gonna ((hug)) you lots, well, we do anyway everyday lol, but today u get extra!!
    :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

as for those temptation treats - I guess its kitty crack to the kitties

there were some more replies in your Health thread too about eating.

Give Morris ((hugs)) from us and take care of urself too ok?

4. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines to our dear Morris--Hope the vet report will be better..HUGS HUGS HUGS~!

5. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Have you ever tried freeze-dried chicken? I shave it over the food and they really love it!
    I am fresh out of it now and need to go to Petsmart for more today....don't recall if you ever
    mentioned trying that in the past. It's healthier than the Temptations anyway.....

6. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

I so understand how you feel about others not understanding what we do for our kitties! Even my dh does not understand! The 2 of us went out for drinks & appies last night (AFTER I had done all my Morris duties & posted here! LOL!) & he made a comment to me about me being so good at taking care of Morris and how he thinks it is because I need someone to take care of....especially now that the kids are getting older (youngest is turning 11 next week). Dh also feels that I tend to neglect him at times (due to kids & pets), but knows that I will be there for him if/when he was ever to become ill or injured!! LOL!! I guess, in a way, it was meant to be a compliment :?

Glad to hear there has been some LB action! Here's hoping your delivery arrives PDQ & that Morris will be back to him old self in the very near future!

7. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

The vet called around 11 to let me know the lab results were still "in processing" so probably wouldn't be done by 12. She is not due to come in until 2 pm but is checking online with the lab from home. These tests are the T4 and free T4 and I'm not expecting them to give any additional insights.

In looking back over my posts and notes, I'm fairly certain he got a bacterial infection in his colon from drinking out of the toilet, and that infection worsened with the anal glands being filled/possibly infected. Then he lost his appetite and has been going downhill from there. In hindsight, I probably waited too long to put him on probiotics & the metronidazole...he has always been so good at curing his digestive problems on his own if left along...but he's getting older.

I syringe fed his breakfast...he will still not free feed himself, even his favorites. I also got the pill in him, only wasted one other this time. Plus the transdermal gel metronidazole came right after I pilled him so I can start using that tonight.

Forgot to add to my first post this morning that I upped his dose to a skinny .50u to try and counter the higher BGs from feeding back stuff....as always I test.

Turned out to be a beautiful day and Morris is just chillin' on the porch right now and is GROOMING HIMSELF....another good sign! flip_cat

8. Amy and Pedro

Amy and Pedro Member

I second this - I crumble it into a powder and sprinkle it on top when Pedro gets fussy - almost always works. Petsmart in the dog treat section-

And grooming is a really good sign! Hooray

9. Cassandra and Sasha

Cassandra and Sasha Well-Known Member

(((Brenda))) Don't beat yourself up about any of it. Hindsight is always 20/20. I second guessed my actions with Sasha and her IBD for ages, but it does no good. Just work with what you know now and keep going from there. You will get through this and so will he.

Sending many positive healing vines and snowflakes.

10. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

What is this called? What section in Petsmart do you find it? I am always on the lookout for new additions to Morris' menu! :D

11. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

In my Petsmart it was on a shelf with all the dog treats---Prime Bites.....
    freeze-dried chicken. It's $3 and change for the smaller bag....I shave the chicken over
    the food ---looks like Parmesan cheese on top of their food...they LOVE it....but be careful giving
    chunks of it cause it is very dry. I only use the chicken Prime bites....

http://www.rushdirect.net/products/prim ... reast.html

12. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

Thanks for the info Pat! It looks like the treats I buy here for Morris called Pure Bites - I buy the liver flavor (I tried the chicken at first as well, but found it too crumbly to give as an after poke treat!). I hadn't thought of adding it to his food!

13. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Thanks for the tip Pat....I had fish flakes that I used to put on his food too....nothing really works right now but he IS eating his old Science Diet Lite on his own (took a lot longer to switch from dry to wet than vice versa lol). And drinking a lot of water afterwards....all good. But it's always good to have another weapon in my feeding arsenal.

Had another really big blowout in the LB, back to being very watery. I hope the probiotics aren't making it worse...maybe I'll stop them and just let the metronidazole work on it for awhile? The poo had a very yeasty smell to it...and they use metronidazole (flagyl) for yeast infections I know, I had to take it when I had one years and years ago. I remember it well because you can't drink alcohol when you take it, and that put a large cramp on my social life at the time.

His BG is still high - 389 at +8 - but I would expect it to be since he's eating kitty krack!

14. Gwen and Morris

Gwen and Morris Member

He's eating a bit! YAY! :RAHCAT

I'm no expert, but I think at this point in time eating something (even kitty crack) is a good thing!

Hopefully the LB will sort itself out in time for him to go ahead with his dental on Monday!

15. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Vet called to tell me the test results are still not in for the T4 and free T4 but she got a verbal on them and they were 2.2 and 28.3 respectively. She does not have the reference ranges but said that she "thinks" these are good numbers.

I asked how long before the metronidazole starts to take effect and she said between 3-5 days BUT that I should be feeding him consistently the same food...doesn't matter what food, just the same consistency. No mixing the tuna slurry and hard food as it becomes hard to digest. I will let him eat the hard food and see how much he takes in for now.

16. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

Just to prove what a wonderful reference the FDMB is, I googled for 30 minutes to try and find the reference ranges of the T4 and fT4ED to no avail. By narrowing the search to felinediabetes.com, I found the ranges to be .7-5.2 for T4 and 10-50 for the fT4ED.

FDMB comes through again! flip_cat flip_cat

17. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

Just wanted to send some hugs and support your way. Very encouraging that he is eating a little, and grooming.

I saw the Halo Liv-a-little freeze dried chicken in a natural foods store over the weekend, but order mine online from wholesalefoods.com. From what you hear around here, most kitties can't resist it.

18. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

The 100% snacks are Pure Bites in other places and Pure Snacks here in Canada.

Awesome, awesome, awesome snacks. They turn Shadoe into a crazy cat! She LOVES them!
    I got a bag of each flavor in the dog section as the bags are bigger and they are a wee bit cheaper.
    Beef liver, ocean fish, and chicken breasts; the liver ones are less crumbly, but can be crumbled if you wanted to use them as sprinkles atop food.

They really are perfect; only the one single ingredient.

19. jojo and bunny

jojo and bunny Member

just checking in to see how morris is today.
    glad he is feeling a bit friskier.
    i was reading back over your past few days, the weak/shaky thing was scary. if you think he is still like that or gets like that i strongly suggest further work up. you haven;t had basic x-ray or an u/s yet or an fPLI test correct? would suggest those things (i just do not understand why a basic x-ray is not done on a feline with g/i issues the second they walk through vet's door, sigh happens allll the time on FDMB and i get frustrated every time, lol).

my cat HAS to have his halo liv-a-little freeze dried chicken snackus after every test. and when he is flaring (he is a CP cat) i can get him to eat by "dusting" his food with one of those crumbled up on it.

i don't get the no mixing of 'consistency' thing that vet said. never ever heard anything like that before. i see you got blood work back, did you actually see it yet or just got verbal report? just wondering what actual numbers are (like say are for example liver values one number under highest number of normal range, just about to go into HI range? kwim?)

but yeah i would feed him anything he will eat (and just work insulin around it). must get enough calories in. and if this doesn't resolve SOON i would get more work up done asap. there has to be a reason he is not eating and i don't have the feeling your vet has hit it yet.

will check back tomorrow after i get back from dr. appt if i can.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.