1/14 Willie PMPS 408, +2~453, +4.5~408 Vet visit

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Christie & Willie (GA), Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christie & Willie (GA)

Christie & Willie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yesterday's Condo.

Given the timing of the upswing last night, I think the insulin is definitely going wonky. will be glad to work from fresh tonight! Honestly, a little part of me breathed a sigh of relief when I saw the 168 at +6... I tested in another hour to be sure, but it meant 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep, which was much needed.

Nicole-- we are finishing up the second to last bath of our feline instincts diet today. For the last batch, I switched salmon oils, which I'm also starting to think may have been part of the problem (not nec. salmon, but the specific oil). I'm so anxious to get the supplements for Willie's new diet! (C'mon, Amazon!). I did luck out... I had some fish oil already that I'm trying to use up because I switched brands for myself, was able to work my crazy coupon lady magic to get the multivitamin I need for him for basically free from CVS... and the bulk of my protein was free (go dad!), so that will really help offset his other expenses. We are definitely switching monitors after this batch of strips is gone (which, at the rate he's going, is soon!). With the right coupons, I could at least get the AT strips down to under $.80/each at ADW, but they just don't have codes right now. I may do a little more comparing this week with the freestyle lite strips in the AT... those are cheap on amazon and they actually work REALLY well... the new design was well worth it!

Okay, off to work for me! Everyone have a great day!

Christie

2. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 1/14 Willie AMPS 458

Willie whatcha doing on the red floor come down slowly today we want to see you in blue

3. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

Hope the new insulin works its magic. Glad you are so savvy with the coupons.

4. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Wee Dub!!! we're goin to play in the dunes at Tessie's...pick you up to go with!

binks

5. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

come on down Willie!

Wow, you're a good bargain/deal hunter. I'm terrible with that, I always lose or forget my coupons.

Hope you and Willie have a great day

6. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

HI guys .. willie what the heck are you doing up on the red floor today? Hope the new pen keeps him off the red floor and down to the blues and greens .. have a great weekend guys!

7. Christie & Willie (GA)

Re: 1/14 Willie AMPS 458, +9~375, +11~405 Vet visit = epic f

Vet visit was a disaster, and the vet and I agreed it was best if we parted ways.

She was angry that I'd refused to follow the other vet's recommendations made on Christmas Eve. He had gone green at that point, the other vet was convinced that shooting at an Alphatrak 100 was akin to killing my cat, and demanded I drop him immediately from 1.25 BID to one unit once a day immediately. I finally told her that I was following a published protocol that was clearly safe, that was his best chance at remission, and was the method of insulin dosage for which I had the best support. At that point, the vet made it clear that as far as they were concerned, it was their way or the highway. They don't believe cats should EVER go green because they are big believers in the whole Jumanji rebound effect business (sorry, don't know the real word!).

Other highlights...

1. I was apparently considered non-compliant on other things, including diet (I dare to feed raw, even though I've followed their request for a balanced custom diet that is poultry free, and just haven't implemented yet.

2. I haven't brought him in for a skin biopsy. Nevermind that when they recommended it, I AGREED to do it, but asked if, in their opinion, we should wait for awhile to see how the diabetes played out, and that I would follow what they thought. THE VET said that I was RIGHT and it would be best to wait.

3. And then there was the Lantus. She refused to write me a script for the pens, because one person, ONE TIME used them, as ACTUAL PENS, and (shocker of shockers) it didn't work. I explained I wasn't using it as a pen, but rather as essentially, a smaller vial. No dice. So, I went ahead and picked up a new vial because I want him started ASAP. Oh, and she swore to me that her patients all use the vial for 3-4 months, always. When I told her what our vial had been through, she did begrudingly admit that the denigration of the insulin was the likely cause of his numbers being all over the place lately. She's convinced that his other health problems will prevent him from being well regulated. I look at the spreadsheet and don't see that... I see a cat who lost a 12 year partner, left for a week, did AMAZING, then came back to an apartment where her smell has been everywhere and where there may be external allergens bugging him. Alot going on that may have nothing to do with what is going on internally.

4. She seemed almost irritated when she decided that he must be sick b/c he was so calm (turns out, that bach flower remedy stuff SERIOUSLY mellows him out), but then his temp was normal. (Yeah, I think he's still peeved at me for that!)

At this point, I will likely be taking him to the specialty vet clinic, at this vet's request. They have a dermatologist on staff and a cardiologist.

She did note a heart murmur today (I let her go ahead and examine him). She also said that the area around his pancreas and liver felt "inflamed," and that he probably has pancreatitis. She also recommended putting him back on the clavamox, which she seemed to think he would need long term. I'm skeptical... the spots she pointed to as being problematic for infection are spots that he has had all over... yellow,dry scabs that don't ooze but just get wet when he grooms them. they come off, the skin is red for a few days, then his skin clears and within a month his fur is fully regrown. Of course, she didn't ask about any of that. This was the end of the visit, and I was trying to be calm and friendly, but things were pretty intense.

At this point, she thinks he absolutely needs a biopsy, a heart ultrasound and an abdominal ultrasound.

I'm just upset and overwhelmed at this point. My refusal to take him off raw food and nosedive his insulin dose apparently really ruffled their feathers. I still strongly believe that I am making the best decisions for Willie, and it is upsetting to see medical professionals refusing to be true partners with their clients' owners unless the client follows everything they say to the letter.

I think I'm going to do an initial consult for his skin at the specialty clinic (it's the place where Miss Belle went to the bridge, and I found them to be very nice people who communicated with me very well). I will talk to them about our insulin approach and inquire if that is something they are willing to work with me on... if not, I will keep looking.

I am trying to decide how long to wait to do the consult. I have two weeks of Clavamox (which I'm not sure I'm going to start tonight) and two refills left on the lantus, so I can wait a bit. I may give the diet a few weeks and go from there? On the other hand, the murmur thing does freak me out, given what happened with Miss Belle.

Sorry for the rant... if anyone has ideas about any of this, I'd love to hear them.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I would post a question about the heart murmur over on Health. Jess (Jess & Earl) is a vet tech who specializes in cardiology and she is hugely helpful.

I'd also ask for people in the KC area to PM you with the names of their vets and their recommendations -- good and bad -- so you don't waste time calling vets who people have had trouble with.

9. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

WOW - that is strictly amazing. I really can't help too much with any of it, but am amazed at the "my way or the highway" attitude of that vet. I agree with you that it is time to find another. I often wish that they would at least try to work with us instead of assuming we know nothing. I wish you luck with your vet search. The specialty vet sounds like a good place to start for the reasons you said.

I hope you guys have a great evening.

10. Janice & Johnny

Janice & Johnny Well-Known Member

You were a wonderful advocate for Willie today! Best of luck in the search for a new vet. Glad you got new insulin! I also tried with no avail to get the pen from my vet. They said it would be too hard to measure dosage. I said I would be using a syringe for that. They just never did get it. I, too, picked up a new vial on my way home. Sometimes it's not worth it. :roll:

11. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

By golly...i have something to say here, Christie!
    Your vet visit was NOT an epic fail IMHO...and here's why:

Willie is your cat. you are doing what you feel is best for him...and the vets WORK FOR YOU, or don't deserve willie and his resourceful human as a patient.

and total APPLAUSE to you for posting with such humor...the Jumanji effect!! :lol:
    hope you find a decent vet for Willie with ease...that's a hassle for you...but take great pride in what you are doing...because you deserve to!

Wee Dub...your bean ROCKS!!

celi

ETA-i'm sure they charged you for the visit...so that might be an epic fail...i think they should have paid you for your time and trouble going in!

12. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

I had a vet just like that--He thought that the board knew nothing & he knew everything--He actually told me I could use a syringe 2-3 times to inject :eek: :eek: :eek:
    He had tunnel vision and knew NOTHING about lantus--He almost hurt Moonie by prescribing 4 units of Humilin N, when she was reacting so badly to it! That's when I changed over to lantus & got a new vet!h
    And my civvie, well, I could tell you stories!
    But the thing is, many of us have had vets like this--We all move on and find someone So much better--So not to worry. Now we have a Great Vet!!
    My civvie has a heart murmur & had a echo cardiogram last summer. He is still just fine & will probably have another one in a few months..Not getting any treatment for it as yet.

From what I see here, you have done everything right here and what is best for your Willie! Now you have so many people to help you and tons of information as a resource.--Willie was probably calm because he knows you are getting him a new vet :lol: :lol:
    You are doing a great job! Hope he feels better Soon!

13. Christie & Willie (GA)

Re: 1/14 Willie PMPS 408 Vet visit = epic fail.

thank you, everyone. Roni, you're right... I've suspected all along (especially since the Christmas Eve incident) that this wasn't a good fit for us... I just wasn't expecting to be essentially shown the door!

As I reflect back on our visit, I am going to start the Clavamox. Willie's skin issues has spread to the "underthebutt" area (yep. that's a medical term) and she did express concern that if they became open sores (which they will, for a bit, if the pattern holds), if there is any urine splash back that could create a situation ripe for infection. While I don't necessarily agree with the assessment on the sores overall, that does make alot of sense to me.

That is what is SOOOOOO frustrating. If she had come in and said, "we get that you're doing research. let me tell you about our approach, the science it is based on, and why we believe it is superior to what you are doing," I would have 100% listened with an open mind, asked pertinent questions, and then made an informed decision. But when I've heard from this clinic thus far:

Lantus doses should be based on pre-shots and not nadirs because it isn't pzi, and cats should be staying essentially flat on it all day, so there is no nadir;
    You should roll the vial each time you use it, and to get the air bubbles out, shoot them into the vial
    Shooting once a day is fine, and (in our circumstance at the time), it's the best thing for you to do

among other things that i'm too tired to even list right now, yeah, you're going to have to come into a discussion with more than "yeah? well, we've got 30 years of experience and we've had cats go into remission too!" if you expect me to even listen, let alone follow your recommendations.

14. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Hi, Christie - I hate to hear how the vet visit went.. very disappointing.. I cannot type much right now because I am going to the store before it gets too late. My offer still stands about the extra Lantus Pen I have on hand & could meet you as soon as tomorrow. I know my Vet is further than you want to travel, but want you to know that they completely put Baby's plan of care in my hands & have not once hasseled me about calling in a RX or diet (((Christie))) PM me if you need anything & take care.

15. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

You never ever roll lantus--What vets they are!!!--I just know you are on your way to someone much better for you--! And FOR WILLIE!!!!

16. Christie & Willie (GA)

Nicole, I thought about your offer... but I know that wherever I go, my vet will probably put some note in Willie's file about me being difficult, and I really don't want to explain to a vet where I got a lantus pen that I was clearly never prescribed! :) I may start at Mission MedVet for his skin, but I will definitely be keeping your vet in mind for once we get to the bottom of this skin condition business.

Celi-- The vet and I had a calmly heated conversation first, came to the conclusion that it would be best to part ways, and then she asked if I would still like him examined. So yeah, I paid, but I'm pretty sure that if I had just left before the exam, she wouldn't have charged me. And from what I've heard, murmurs can be hard to detect, even by a vet who sees a cat multiple times per year, so honestly, that piece of knowledge is worth the $65 for the exam alone.

One more happy thought!! I can now break-up with the AlphaTrak guilt free!!! :D

17. Karrie and Maverick

Wow I'm sorry you had a bad experience. You can add me to the list also. On my first week I think I was in tears here I was so mad about an experience I had. This was our second vet and I just don't get it. I am convinced there is a vet in this city that will listen to us and won't have that I have a white coat you know nothing listen to me or else attitude. It really just floors me. My dog has a seriously amazing vet which we drive an hour for. I just don't think Maverick could handle two hours in a car to see them. I would keep looking. Maybe you could call the vet school in your city/state for recommendations?

The way you handled things is impressive. I clam up and my chest gets tight - they are so intimidating. You give others courage to be our kittie's advocates and fight the good fight.

Sending hugs.

18. Christie & Willie (GA)

Thanks, Karrie, that's part of why I share. Honestly, I think doctors tend to treat me a bit differently because I'm a lawyer... a) they are afraid of being sued, and b) they treat me more like an equal. I get really angry when any professional, medical or otherwise, tries to use their training and expertise to lord over those they feel are inferior. People are not idiots. They know themselves and their pets. Their beliefs and concerns should be treated with respect, and nobody should be afraid of standing up for themselves. I am a communication person (both in terms of personality and my smarts), so I think I do a good job in communicating respectfully but firmly. But I swear, if I'm upset, my face gets twitchy, so lord knows what I looked like in that vet's office! LOL

Still reflecting on the visit... realizing the vet never intended to have a conversation.... no "tell me about what you are doing, why you're doing it, and then I'll tell you what I think." I did get belligerent in saying, "we are doing tight regulation, period." It is sad that better communication on their part could have made it a more positive experience. They probably still wouldn't have been the best fit, but they certainly could have prevented the bad review they're about to get on yelp...

19. Karrie and Maverick

Sweet!!! I didn't know you were a lawyer (thankfully no bad experiences there) LOL. I made kind of a snarky remark about vets which I regret my first month or so here and found out about Dr. Lisa on FMDB ohmygod_smile She was cool thankfully. I can see how being a lawyer could be a pro/con. But I wish I had you by my side when Maverick's vet Dr. Snarky McHissypants called me. Being 35 y/o and feeling like a demoralized child is something that I will never ever let happen again. I actually can't describe how I felt it was so surreal and unnerving. Thank God for you guys here.

So I get courage from reading how you guys handle your difficult vets and also how you will find alternatives. I haven't had the confidence to try Maverick with a new vet yet and he needs a dental.

20. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Christie: I'm so sorry your day went like that. I think we've all had days like that with a vet. You did great!! Hang in there. Hugs!

21. Nicole & Baby

Christie, I dont know who your vet is & I have not tried the Kansas City Cat Clinic but wanted to share this with you too -the SUPER COOL thing is they actually link THIS BOARD (FDMB) on their website. As you try to find a vet, it might be best to have a consultation with them first & get the plan of care agreed upon & then bring Willie in so you know what you are getting into prior, hang in there.. Willie is blessed to have you.

22. Christie & Willie (GA)

Nicole--

yeaaahhhh....... they sure do link to here. you think that would mean something..... read that how you will. :)

We are on the same mental plane!!! I was thinking that a consult with a vet before taking Willie was an excellent idea! :)

23. Nicole & Baby

ohmygod_smile Gotcha!

24. Karrie and Maverick

Yelp

:oops:

:mrgreen:

25. Christie & Willie (GA)

see why I'm so frustrated? ;-)

26. Amanda

Amanda Member

Just popping in as I am in Kansas City as well - I think Nicole is the only other person in our area. I had seen the Kansas City clinic as well in my search for another vet, have not tried them yet as they are about 30 minutes from me. Are you in the Northland or out south?

27. Christie & Willie (GA)

Hey, Amanda! I'm in midtown, so smack dab in the middle! :) Have you come across any other vets you're considering?

28. Amanda

Amanda Member

They have been the only one I have come across so far - I was impressed with the link to FDMB. I am out north, and while I have not been impressed with my vet she has met me in the middle on most things. Does not hassle me about prescribing lantus pens, asks me about Kazi's BG first thing etc. I am looking for a new vet because the other vet at that practice seems to be VERY similar to the style of your vet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.