ACRO CAT 1/8 amps 643 +8 638 pmps 618 today amps 140 +6 76

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Putter, Jan 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Putter

Putter New Member

Sorry if I don't post this correctly but I don't usually post and my ss won't link up for some reason but, my sugar has been doing quite well with #s in the 2's and 3's which is great for him. He is on 7 u Lantus as he is an acro kat. Yesterday he was in the 6's allllllll....day, todays amps was 130, +6=76, he is PD, eating very well, acting normal for the most part but what could be going on? He never pulls the lower #'s and seems very comfortable when he is in the 2's. Being an acro cat he is on the higher side of lantus and has done pretty well on the 7 u, I have tried dropping the units but he sky rockets and 7 1/2 u sends him too low.
    Just looking for some thoughts on what could be going on. He had 150 ml sq normosol last night at 10pm, rested well last night and has been acting very well although he is alittle quite right now. He is normally a very vocal cat so when he is not telling me everything it is alittle unsettleing for me.
    I know I am supposed to post my ss and post this a certain way but I am not able to get my ss to link up, my husband is going to see what I am doing or not doing once I get done here. Gonna go test again. Thank you

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: ACRO CAT 1/8 amps 643 +8 638 pmps 618 today amps 140 +6

hi there,
    I'm sorry I have no acro advice, but welcome back to Lantus Land.
    I've cross-posted for you in the acro forum, and hopefully some acro moms will pop in to take a peek here.

one question thou, do you still use the Alpha-Trak meter?
    if so, you may want to add that to your signature line, as it makes a difference with the AlphaTrak.

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

welcome to Lantus Land!

What number is Putter at now? And Ronnie's question is important too, is your meter an AlphaTrak or something else? We need to get him out of the 70s - do you have any high carb wet food with gravy?

One quick thought, as someone who also has an acro, is that they can't necessarily be treated the same as the other diabetic kitties here. There do tend to be periods where the acro waxes and wanes, and sometimes there are cycles where something different seems to happen for no apparent reason.

You say Putter is normally in the 200's and 300's - have you shot at 130 in the past? While normally in Lantus Land we would yell SHOOOOOOOOOOT to someone looking at a 130 at shot time, most of the acro moms don't shoot as low. I know I don't, because I don't know if the lower number is caused by a change in tumor output, her pancreas deciding to work harder that day, something different with diet, or just because. I would either stall and shoot later (if possible) or just skip and deal with the high numbers later.

Also, does he usually get fluids? For some cats fluids can lower their BGs. It seems to be an individual thing. Is he otherwise healthy, no signs of infection, bad teeth

4. Putter

Putter New Member

Still using alphatrak, yes! 70's do indeed scare the glucose right out of me to say the least. I have only had low #'s with him twice before and this was right after I did a dental on him. No infections now, at least not that I am aware of. Up until today he pretty much seemed normal.
    I have been testing him every 15 minutes and giving hc food and karo, he is now up to 119. But I am sure that is the karo talking. The gals at acro cat have been online with me thank goodness. I am not going to shoot tonight no matter what his pmps is, that will be at 8:30.
    I will keep on testing, his ears are a mess and may have to hit his foot pads. He is pretty cranky but is grooming himself and giving me his mean look so that is better than before.
    I know if I can keep his #'s up that he will be really high tomorrow.
    This can be so upsetting and I am so glad that everyone is so much help, thank you.

5. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

whew! 119 is better, but don't back off yet. As you are seeing, acros don't necessarily respond to carbs the way regular diabetics do. Their pancreases work, so food can stimulate their pancreas to produce additional insulin. That's what it is supposed to do, but it can be very inconvenient when you are trying to jack a number up! That's why he is needing so much syrup and gravy just to maintain the number.

Another pesky thing about Lantus is that if the numbers are low or when you are fighting off hypo, instead of just lower numbers, you might also see extended duration. Don't count on his nadir to be where it usually is.

I agree with the idea of skipping tonight's shot. You'll want to restart at a lower dose tomorrow. You can always work back up quickly if the new dose turns out to be too low, but it's better to be conservative.

6. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

just to let you know -- Trisha is getting more acro-mom support at the cat acromegaly rather than here --

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.