12/31 Rocket-more update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Rocket & his Mom, Dec 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

hope all is well
    sorry i have not posted all day...have not had my pc working
    i posted yesterday in the health forum only to read it today...i was starting to feel better as he was around and not hiding as much and eating well....but now i'm worried sick that he is not ok....

here is yesterday
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33195

the health forum has the link of what i'm asking.....sorry i'm distraught to link it now....can't think straight....he seems ok for the most part.....i don't know what to do...can't take him to his vet as the whole clinic is closed til next week....Dr Lisa is concerned with his bp readings i did yesterday on him....overall he is eating/drinking/peeing/pooping.....i'm upset sorry i can't type further....

need to see if i can do another bp reading on him....

2. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

3. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Re: 12/30 Rocket-SS with #s fully updated

just want you to know we're thinking of you and rocket, claudia...

celi & binks

4. Rocket & his Mom

5. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

ahh ok. we usually abbreviate hyperthyroidism as hyper-t. i think larry was confused too, over on health.

just wanted to point out that no vet should give you a rx of norvasc without seeing him. his BP should be checked on a doppler to confirm he is hypertensive before starting norvasc. hypotension can do a number on the kidneys too.

6. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Paws & fingers crossed for Rocket to feel better--Dont you have a ER vet clinic anywhere near you? Yes I do know the expense, but maybe it would be wise to take him--We all care so much about you & Rocket--Big Healing vines sent to Him--Please feel better & if you can go, Do.
    Hugs so much from us!

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Just saw your health thread, Claudia...
    thinking of you and sending positive prayers for Rocket. cat_pet_icon

8. Iorwen & Tray

Iorwen & Tray Well-Known Member

sending prayers and good thoughts for you and Rocket

9. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

It sounds like Dr. Lisa's later post on Health was a bit more encouraging. Would you be able to get him in to your regular vet first thing next week? I wonder if the ER would give you an estimate to just get a BP and give you enough Amlodipine to get you through to next week. (((Claudia))).

10. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Linda's suggestion is a good one. I hope you and Rocket are both doing OK. It might not be a bad idea to bring your BP monitor in to the vet's office and compare your readings with the vet's. At least you'll know how reliable your data is.

(FYI: the abbreviation for hypertension is HTN. Medical-speak is confusing.)

11. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing thoughts and prayers to you and Rocket.

12. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sending healing vines and prayers for Rocket, Claudia. I know how stressed this makes you and I think you have some good suggestions from others. ((((Claudia))))

13. Mowgli and Keri

Mowgli and Keri Member

Sending you thoughts and prayers for you and Rocket!
    I hope everything is okay, i hope you are okay!!!!
    Many hugs coming your way!!!!!!!

14. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

(((Claudia))) Sending prayers and good thoughts for you and Rocket... :YMHUG:

I didn't know we could test cat BP with regular BP monitor and that they should be 120/80.

15. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

How did Rocket's day go?

16. Rocket & his Mom

hi All,
    i figured rather than opening a new condo for tonight i would give an update on Rocket

SS is fully updated

overall he's been eating well...weight has not come down...Dec 11 he was 7.13 kgs and last night he was 7.17 kgs...i'm pretty sure those are the numbers....anyhow...he is alert, playful even....i turned the heat up at home and i think he wanted to cool off by going under the bed....so he stayed there less than 1 hr then came out to want to lie in bed sort of cuddled with me under my arm....i couldn't feel my arm after a while but was worthed!

i took the second bp reading and was better...posted that on health....

things are crazy in this household with company over and tomorrow we have to go to my in-laws....i'm keeping a close eye on him...

i will for sure take him into the vet on Tuesday and if need be i will go to the ER with him....will continue to do bps at home to monitor him....the shivering has stopped....i've noticed tonight he is gassy.....which i've never heard him!

his ps #s are getting higher....don't know if it's due to the vial being old (has been the same one since i started insulin back Nov6)....or if it's cause he is under the weather....

for the most part he stays in the room...goes out to visit then he returns to be on the bed....him playing this afternoon totally shocked me....but the most shock was that 2 hrs later his pmps was 140

the medical lingo is so confusing....and my head is spinning to say the least....haven't slept well as i constantly get up to check on him...

about a yr ago those same readings on his bp were given to his vet only for her to dismiss the whole thing...looking at the readings i've done since...the one before yesterday was the highest...yesterday was pretty much similar to what i've been getting all along....i have that PetMap bp....and Rocket does not do well at the vet with their bp machine...this is why when i was working i decided to spend the money on it....

can they be really sick and still eat well?
    what do you all think on this question????

my head spins and i try to keep cool for my folks and DH...but i cry myself to sleep worry sick on the finances and Rocket not being well....it is terrifying....and that it's an understatement....

17. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Claudia)))
    It sounds very encouraging that he is maintaining his weight, playing, and eating well. It sounds like his BP is stable right now, and that you are doing a good job of monitoring it. You are right that some kitties are too stressed out at the vet to get a good BP reading. Unless he worsens, your plan of taking him in on Tuesday sounds good to me. You are the best judge of how he is doing. Please try to take care of yourself as well. You are juggling a lot of stressful issues right now, but you are doing a wonderful job of caring for all of his issues. I'm hoping you both have a better weekend.

18. Rocket & his Mom

thank you all for your words of encouragement....it is much appreciated...yes i'm a basket case and juggling a lot...my plate is more than full!

i posted the below results on a test that was taken on Nov 1, 2010 for Dr Lisa to advise but if anyone has any input it will mean a lot to me....here are those results aside from his lab report (i will try to update the SS as well under his old SS there is a tab for his lab reports)

Test: pli/b12/tli

spec PL 7.7 (0-3.5)

B12 2985 (205-1505)

Folate 40.1 (22-55)

TLI - 78.8 (12-82)

what does it all mean? vet never gave me input...she just said he had pancreatitis....which i already knew....

19. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The spec PL is a test that is used to diagnose pancreatitis. Any value greater than 5.4 is positive for pancreatitis. I don't believe this is the newest version of this test. Idexx is using the fPLI or spec fPLI.

The TLI is a pancreatic enzyme that is normally inside pancreas cells. It increases in the blood system when the pancreas becomes inflamed or damaged. When this occurs, many digestive enzymes are released which can subsequently attack the surrounding tissues (i.e. liver and intestines). When the TLI is decreased, it means the pancreas is no longer able to produce proper digestive enzymes that are needed for absorption of many nutrients, which is also known as EPI (Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency). Rocket's values fall within the normal range.

Cobalamin is vitamin B12 which is absorbed into the body only from the distal small intestines. Low levels mean either that the small intestines are diseased and therefore not able to properly absorb, or it can be from EPI. Since Cobalamin is essential for proper intestinal function, supplementation of B12 is indicated if the level is low. Given where Rocket's values are, I don't believe this is anything to worry about.

Folate is a coenzyme that is needed for proper intestinal function and is only absorbed and produced in the proximal small intestines. A decreased folate level indicates proximal small intestinal disease, whereas an increased serum Folate level is consistent with an overgrowth of small intestinal bacteria, causing excessive production of Folate.

From what the values look like, the only positive test was for pancreatitis. The other tests, which appear to be run together as a cluster, seem to be used to determine if there's a more extensive problem involving liver and intestines and Rocket's numbers would be inconsistent with this kind of involvement.

20. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I just wanted to drop in and say that I am thinking about you and Rocket and sending white lights and positive vines.

21. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Claudia, I can't help you with your questions, but I am here to offer you hugs and support.
    I hope you have a much better 2011, and I think Rocket will be okay. He has a really good and caring mommy.

22. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

I too just wanted to stop in and say that we are thinking about you and rocket. You are in our thoughts, and while I can't help with the questions, we can give support.

23. Rocket & his Mom

thank you Sienne for the explanation

thank you all for your words....

he can't be feeling that sick if he STOLE some dessert from DH....right???? so i couldn't test at +3....DH dropped some coconut cream puffs and he was there to lick some off...gave two big licks before i caught him!!!! so there goes that! DH never even noticed Rocket was there licking the stuff off.... grr_red

24. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Claudia...I know it's late and you are probably in bed but we're sending healing vines and snowflakes for Rocket. I'm so sorry for the last few days you've had and I hope he starts doing better. (((Claudia)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.