12/1 Harley update - Ultra Sound IBD flair up

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Harley and Pattie, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

It was a long night. Gave a quick call to see how the night went. The docs are on rounds so could not talk to one of them but did speak with vet tech. Harley had an ok night. Did not eat but on IV's for fluids and to get K+ up. She said he was peeing ok, so no problem there. Ultra sound slated for around noon. I doubt that I will hear much before 2:00.

Thank you so much for all your support - it means a lot to me.

Pattie

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=31038

2. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: 12/1 Harley update

Thank you for updating us this morning Pattie...you and Harley are in my thoughts and my prayers...
    Sending a blizzard of snowflakes and healing vines for Harley....and sending a million hugs to you (((((Pattie))))) :YMHUG:
    It is comforting to know that he had a good night anyway, right? He is getting the best attention, thanks to your speedy action in bringing him in there right away!
    I admire you so much for doing that, no questions asked, no hesitation....boom--out the door to the vet! WOW!
    That is really admirable...Harley is a lucky kitty to have you for a Mama! :mrgreen:

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Thanks for the update -- I was hoping you'd have some info about how Harley's night went. You guys are in my thoughts and I'm hoping you get some good news from your vets.

4. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thanks so much for the update... I am hoping for good results from the u/s and continued improvement in all other areas.

5. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update sending more healing vines and snowflakes for him

6. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Pattie, I hope that you will have good reports from the vets this afternoon. Lots more healing vines and positive thoughts are on their way to Harley. Stay strong!

Ella & Rusty

7. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

sending more healing vines Harley's way and hoping to hear some good news later on.

hang in there, Pattie :YMHUG:

8. Harley and Pattie

Re: 12/1 Harley update - IAA back

Harley's main vet called to say test results were back. He is 66% and 20% or lower is normal. Just another worry.

Pattie

9. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope the ultrasound comes back ok today. I don't know anything about the IAA, but I'm sure others will be on soon. I'm sending healing vines and prayers for Harley to feel better soon.

10. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update .. I know you are very worried about Harley, but he is in the best place for him right now, with wonderful doctors that care about him ... he has a ton of snowflakes being sent his way ...

11. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

All the info on the IAA tells you is that you can be aggressive with your dosing. It is also a bit more info for the vets at the U since they were asking you about dose.

12. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to see the IAA is positive, but now you have an explanation for needing higher doses. It's better to know, and it's possible to combat this. Sharyn/Fiona battle it, and Sandy and BK have clobbered theirs so it can be done. In the mean time, just keep doing what you're doing, but now you have the understanding behind the numbers.

(( Pattie )), I hope Harley is feeling better and that you have some good news about his condition very soon.

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

OK very good to know, with an explanation of what's going on, you will know how to react, to treat it!

Ollie was positive for both, but I think we have smashed the IAA part.
    With the IAA, you are aiming for green, and usually being aggressive is the way to attack it.

On the plus side of things, you can beat this because it's not permanent like acro!
    I keep thinking of a line from Eddie Izzard comedy record "Smash it with a hammer!"
    think of a big tug of war, you need to get in front and beat it back.

Don't worry, let's see that we get him feeling better first and get to the IAA later. You can use your insulins, and put some R to good use if needed.

14. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh Pattie, I'm so sorry to hear about Harley being in the hospital, I can imagine how tough this for you. IAA - not great news, but at least it explains some things, right? Hope the U figures out what's going on with him soon and can fix him right up. ((Pattie)) ((Harley))

15. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

thanks for the update.
    continued prayers for harley's full recovery (((Pattie)))

16. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Sorry for what's going on right now but sending you all positive thoughts that you'll soon have him home and as the others have said, you can now start getting aggressive to beat down those high numbers...
    At least you know now (and we know that feeling...) but it sounds encouraging to know that IAA can be overcome...

Get well soon Harley!!!!

17. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I'm sending you some more warm thoughts for Harley. Best of luck for the ultra sound results. (((Pattie)))

18. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

sounds to me like this is going to help with harleys treatment, pattie.

good luck on ultrasound results...

19. Kathy&Powder

Kathy&Powder Member

Patti I hope you are feeling a little better now that you have an answer for Harley's BGs. I hope the US turns out fine. Praying and sending comfort and healing for your baby and you. Hope he comes home soon. :YMHUG:

20. Harley and Pattie

Re: 12/1 Harley update - Ultra Sound

Got the update on the ultra sound and I am breathing a little easier. There was thickening of intestine which indicates that there is a flare up of the IBD. He has become on sick puppy (kittie). I asked why this happened and there was no concrete answer. Apparently this can just happen. I need to do some research on this.

They have reduced his insulin to 5 units apparently after sinking low. He is eating only a fraction of what he eats here at home. That is not surprising. It does happen every time I leave him there. The K+ is still low, which to me is a concern. It had finally gotten to normal in May (1st time every since dx of diabetes).

Harley is now back on prednisone - 1ml AM & PM. They said that would continue for 2 weeks, then he would go down to 1ml per day. At that time, the vet would consider returning to the budsonide.

The vet said they would look at 1-2 more days there, maybe he could come home as early as Friday.

So...need to say I am just shaking inside - I really thought this was going to be a major problem. I can manage the IBD. He was first diagnosed with it 10 months ago when they took a biopsy of his intestine and has been doing fine. I can do this again.

Pattie

21. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Pattie...we're so glad you got a dx that you can deal with and manage. Now Harley just needs to get stronger so he can come home to you where he will
    receive unparalleled love and care. I know you are feeling so much more relieved to know what's happening and that there is a plan. We're still sending blizzards of snowflakes and tons of healing vines for Harley. (((Pattie)))

22. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

H Patti - many positive thoughts headed your way. I too am glad that you have DX that you can manage and deal with. I wish a speedy recovery for Harley.

23. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm really sorry Harley's so sick. I know there are several FDMB people that deal with or have dealt with IBD. It sounds like you have a good handle on things but it's still nice to have support.

24. Harley and Pattie

Ok, I may sound brave but truth be told, I am really nervous about this. Vet will call again tomorrow and I already have a ton of questions to ask about this. I thought I had a handle on this IBD thing but he got sick even with me watching.

Pattie

25. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Pattie,
    I am glad you have the info - you now know the problems, so you can get your plans in place to help Harley.

You could change your subj line again - add in Need IBD info - or something like that to catch the eyes of those who are dealing with IBD now.

You could also cross post over to the Acro/IAA group and see if anyone over there has some experience with IAA and IBD.

26. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

oh, pattie...that's good news! like you, i thought it could be so much worse!

celi

27. Barb and Tori

Barb and Tori Well-Known Member

Hi Pattie. You've had quite the day haven't you. I'm sure that your head is spinning with all the information you have had to digest in the last 24 hours. The good news is though Harley has two conditions that are managable. It will take a bit of time to sort it out but I'm sure you'll be able to. I have no experience with the IAA but my civie Rocky has IBD. He was on the Prednisolone and Tylan for quite a while. What really helped him though was when I switched to a raw diet. It really helped him and he was able to go off all the meds and actually gained some much added weight. That was back in "08 and he is still doing great. The added bonus was that within a month of starting the raw Tori was OTJ and stayed that way for over 2 years.

Try and hang in there. There is so much knowledge here and you have good medical care for Harley. It'll be OK.

28. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

29. Kristen & Emma (GA)

Kristen & Emma (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, what an ordeal! At least you know what the story is and it's something you've dealt with before. HUGS to you!

30. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Bear Man was an IBD kitty, and had a lot of severe flare-ups. They can come on quite suddenly.

I think that the Prednisone will help a lot. You say you are giving 1 ml bid, so I assume it is in liquid form. Is the concentration 5 mg/ml? You may wish to ask about Prednisolone rather than Prednisone, once you get settled down a bit. I would be very conservative with the rate of tapering off the pred after such a severe flare. I have no experience with IAA, and steroids will affect the BG, but he needs to be on it until his gut is really healing well. I don't think the Budesonide is cutting it for him right now. IMHO.

A big flare like this can cause inflammation in neigboring organs such as the stomach, pancreas, and liver. There can be cramping. There may be fissures in the gut. A flare is painful. I would make sure he has good pain management (e.g. Buprenorphine) until he is feeling better.

Metronidozole (Flagyl) is commonly used in IBD. It is a type of antibiotic, but has an anti-inflammatory effect in the digestive system.

Other items to have in your IBD arsenal would be an anti-nausea drug (e.g. Ondansetron), a stomach acid drug (e.g. Pepcid AC), and an appetite stimulant (e.g. mirtazipine). Discuss with your vet which of these might be appropriate.

eta: Shots of Cerenia administered by your vet will help greatly with vomiting. Ask if he is getting that.

WCF mentioned B12 (Cyanocobalamin) injections. The raw diet mentioned above could be something to explore down the road after he is feeling much better. I don't know what is happening with the potassium. Are his renal values OK?

I would expect to see some good improvement with the Pred.

31. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

((((Pattie)))) wow, you have a lot to absorb today. The IAA is not so bad, it's really not a surprise and now we know why Harley needs a high dose of insulin. That diagnosis will empower you to react to changes quickly when needed. I hope it will help put your mind at ease somewhat about his insulin dose. Now you know there is a reason for his insulin resistance.

The IBD, as you said, you have dealt with before. It sounds scary and it's something I don't have experience with, but others have already given you good advice. I KNOW you can deal with that.

32. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

((((Pattie)))) sending you lots of (((((hugs)))) and healing vines for Harley.
    Stay strong Pattie, lots of caring beans and kitties here!

33. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

There is a ton of support and information here. Linda has had a great deal of experience with IBD and I'm sure there are others. Cross posting in Health, when you're ready, will get you even more information. You can manage this -- you have great instincts and great resources at your disposal.

34. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Pattie! This is good to have a diagnosis, right? At least now you know what you are dealing with now and you will read up on it and get lots of suggestions from everyone here. And YOU will do very well...for Harley. At first, one is so frightened of all the things that could be wrong...so now that you have this definitive dx, you can have a good plan in place. You will be fine.....and I am wondering about your vet's reaction to the IAA...to think that she resisted getting that test done,, right? You SEE??? You are a great Champion for Harley...you have done all the right things ~~you will continue to do GREAT!! Hugs to you!!! :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

35. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi (((((Pattie))))), I can't give advice, but I can give support. You are doing the very best for Harley. I know that you can come to terms with these issues, and it is good to learn that they are well manageable. Thinking of you and Harley tonight and continuing to send healing vines, snowflakes, and prayers.

Hugs,
    Ella

36. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

((((((Pattie))))) ((((((Harley)))))

Lots of hugs for you my dear....And healing vines for Harley.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.