Paw Pokes - Answers Needed

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Anonymous, Oct 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Is anyone else out there using paw pokes? I made the mistake of buying 30 ga lancets. Should I get 28 or 26 gauge lancets?? :?:

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Paw Pokes

Hi Sally,
    Lisa and Do Lou do paw pokes. I don't know of anyone else. I have one more suggestion though for the ears. I bought reading glasses to help see the blood. I also make sure I have the brightest light possible. I know how frustrating this is. I was in tears several times before we finally got it.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

4. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

What brand of lancets did you get? I've found that the BD ones seem to be sharper and hurt Tess less. I use the 30 gauge and she barely notices. She flinched every time when I used the larger ones. They were a house brand from CVS. I've seen BD at Target.

If you do it by hand (without the device) hold the lancet at a 45ยบ angle and twist slightly when pulling it away. Mostly be calm. They pick up on our nerves really well.

5. Amanda

Amanda Member

I do paw pokes...I use 31 gauge lancets if given the choice. Make sure you give a brisk pad massage for about 20 seconds before poking ( I use my thumb for part, and then the heel of my hand to really warm it up). As a general rule there is not a droplet that appears until I squeeze the pad gently.

6. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Willow is tested on his paw pad. I use 30g or 33g (BD).

7. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I don't remember if I saw what kind of meter you're using... some of them require only teensy tiny blood drops, maybe that would help. Relion Micro is one, and its strips are very reasonable (though you can only get them at Walmart). I use an Accu Chek Aviva and it takes a pretty small drop but the micro is half of even that.

8. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the 30gauge for Do Lou and am using the freestyle lite meter which requires only .3 blood droplet I always use neosporin ointment afterwards as well

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

:coffee: To answer ALL the Qs.....
    I use an Infinity meter (.05 droplet) and I have the pen that came with it as well as the Ultilet pen I bought (both are universal).
    The reading glasses won't help as I am wearing super strong bi-focals and have mild cataracts. Ears are too small.
    I started with 10 28 ga lancets that came with the kit and bought 30 ga thinking they would be kinder (less painful) but, I'm not getting enough blood most of the time.
    Yes, I warm his paw (rice sock - massage paw - massage leg) and have squeezed, spread, lowered, etc, etc, etc. Between trying to get enough blood, holding one or both rear feet and whipping tail, trying to handle the pen, meter and strip, and DH holding his front end and scruff....all while the cat struggles violently....WOW! DH sometimes has to be reminded to hold scruff but, effect only lasts so long.
    Yes, we try to soothe him before and during the poking. Yes, we have a positive attitude. Yes, we reward after - success or failure. I have tried playing with his feet, holding him, etc when not testing...he doesn't like it.
    A larger lancet is called for - 28 ga or 26 ga? Opinions :?:

10. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

well I freehand my lancets and sounds like you are having a time with the cat you see Do Lou just lays there for me, try freehanding with the lancet it will give you more control and I think you will get enough blood once you start doing this

11. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I don't paw poke, but I do ear poke, and I can fully understand the need for reading glasses as well as the brightest possible light to see the blood, especially on a black cat. :) It works. Good luck with the paw poking! :)

12. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

Yes I think larger lancets are better, more chance of getting a nice drop in one poke. We poke the ears but we also use the lancets free-hand. Less equipmet near the cat the better. Did you try the "clipnosis" trick yet?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks but........28 or 26??? :?:

14. Complick8d

Needle gauge is a matter of personal preference, so it's really trial and error. I personally would probably only go as low as 28 though. One other tip on getting the blood, is squeezing the paw pad while inserting the lancet. This basically just keeps the paw pad firm so you have to work less to squeeze the blood out after the prick, therefore lessening the time that he has to tolerate the testing. Although once your kitty is more comfy with it, which of course takes lots of times as you know, the blood will flow more easily.

15. Complick8d

Also, you stated before that your started with 28g. Did you feel you were getting enough blood then? If not, then move to 26g.

16. Perry and Sooty

Perry and Sooty Well-Known Member

We use the ReliOn 26 gauge. (Ears).

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Thanks - I'll try 26 ga. Tried again at +6 and couldn't even get a drop in any of the pokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.