1/16 Mally AMPS 318, +2 303

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & Mally, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Yesterday's Condo

Good morning! I'm finding that drawing insulin is something that really takes time and practice to master. I drew Mally's shot this morning and it was a little too much so I gently pushed the plunger and out came all the insulin. I threw the needle in the sharps container, grabbed a new one, and had better luck the second time. When my daughter does it (she went to nursing school) she gets it perfect almost all the time. Brat! :smile:

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Re: 1/16 Mally AMPS 318

hi

instead of tossing ur used syringes, grab a few of them and practice the dose with some juice in the syringe. Many of us have had to do this and it seems to help measuring the doses.
    So when u have extra time before shot or any other time, just take a few minutes and practice. Just remember to keep those practice syringes away from the fresh ones so they don't get mixed up.
    You'll be a professional in no time at all!

You're doing really good by the way.
    :)

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A couple of hints...

Before you draw up any insulin, pull the plunger up and down a couple of times. There's some lubricant in the syringe and this will help the plunger to slide a bit more easily.

Overdraw the amount you need. Gently push out some of the overdraw. Once you are closer to the amount you need, stop pushing the plunger. Instead, rotate or dial it to fine tune the dose. This will be particularly helpful if you are giving fat or skinny doses.

You're doing a great job with testing!

4. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

Ah, thanks Sienne for that info. I'm going to play around for a while with a syringe today and get some practice in. :smile:

5. Michele and Esse

Michele and Esse Well-Known Member

I'm one of those poor broke folks who can't afford to waste a syringe...so I go with what they taught me at work: as long as the needle has remained in the vial, or, if out, has not touched any surface (and the vial top has not been touched either), it's still considered 'clean' and can be reinserted into the rubber. 'Course, that's just me, and how I do things...and I'm terribly aware of how easily something can get contaminated...so take this for what it's worth - someone's opinion, and that's all.

Best-
    Michele

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.