10/9 Bear Man GA - The last Old Timer condo

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Linda and Bear Man, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

10/6 condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26807
    10/7 Pat's condo (Bear's last moon party): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26852
    10/8 Bridge condo: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26934

Video Tribute: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27035

Thank you to everyone for their words of support and comfort. They mean so much to me. It has been wonderful being a part of this community. (Cheryl, thanks for the link to my first post).

I just wanted to open a last condo to say a few more words about Bear Man. Firstly, his last two days were comfortable. He was eating, purring, and was social and cuddly. I was very tempted to change my plans, but had some long talks with friends and my vet. The last rebound came at the expense of three vet visits for fluids and drugs, and a dose of steroids that would have to be tapered down soon, and that would cause other side effects in him. I had taken the week off work to nurse him around the clock. Coming up were a holiday weekend with no access to vet care (other than ER), then a return to work, when he would be alone all day long. It was, in other words, not sustainable. This rebound could last days or weeks, but would inevitably end and he would be sick again. He would need to make visits every week or two to the vet for Aranesp shots to survive his anemia. And finally, as I watched him walk on weak legs, have his seizures, stumble and fall, only to make it from the litter box to his little bed on the bathroom floor, I knew his quality of life was not there. I did not want to wait to see him sick again. I had long prayed for a sign that I would know the time to let him go. I never had expected it to be a quiet and gentle sign from him.

I had had a discussion with my vet a few months ago about how I wanted Bear’s last day to be. I did not want him to be in a crisis, in terrible pain, in a cage in an ER in the middle of the night with strangers. He did not deserve that. I asked the vet to tell me when I was going too far in treating him. We both cried that day, and agreed that Bear deserved to die at home with dignity. A friend mentioned that human hospice patients are given the gift of being made comfortable in their last days. I knew that what I would want for my own death would be to die at home on a good day. I knew that any further prolonging of his life would be for my own sake, not for his. And so, I am deeply grateful that his last two days were filled with the things he loved best – some treats, some fresh window breezes, lots of tummy scratches, and snuggles with his beloved Teddy. He died peacefully in my arms, with his vet crying and stroking him as well.

I found Bear at the local humane society where I was a volunteer. He had been abandoned in an apartment by owners who moved away. He was discovered days later by a landlord. Bear and I bonded the day I first saw him, and he was my brave and gentle companion for 13 years. He is sadly missed by his brother Teddy, who is now so very alone. My life and my little family feel much smaller now. There is a Bear-sized hole in my heart.

On his last morning:

[​IMG]

2. paige

paige Well-Known Member

(((((Linda))))) Thank you for leaving us with one final post in LL. Bear Man was and still is so special. You and he went through so much together. You are a wonderful mommy and did everything in your power to make his life wonderful. Having him in your arms during his last breath is so hard, but I know he wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

With Love ~~ rb_icon

3. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Linda)))) He looks so peaceful! thank you so much for posting this today....Beautiful Bear Man!!!

Your description of your thought process is filled with such love and devotion to Bear Man. You are such a loving and caring Mama and friend. How very thoughtful of you....the time was well chosen (and I agree that this is how I would want to leave myself.)

He was surrounded by his loved ones in his own home...how wonderful for him. I truly believe it was perfect timing if ever there could be "good" timing for the end....rather than an inevitable crisis time where he would be so sick and frightened... I am sure he wished it to be just that way himself...
    We miss him so much and have been thinking of you constantly....sending hugs and scritches to Teddy and Miss Emily and to you my friend (((Linda Teddy & Miss Emily))) :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

(((((Dear Bear Man))))) run free dear boy until we meet once again... [​IMG]

4. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Linda)))) Thank you for sharing Bear's last day with us. Your selfless love has carried him across the bridge to a better place. It was a great gift to Bear. I know you will miss him terribly and I hope in time you will find joy in memories of Bear. Sending prayers of peace and comfort to you, Teddy and Emily. Fly Free Bear Man!

5. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

We all miss him so, always will. He was a legend, a legacy her in LL. Such an integral part of our community.

It gives me comfort to read about his final days. It was as it should be. it is what I would want too. You did so well by him. I am so proud of you, all of us are. As big as the hole in your heart is, know well that he is at peace now - healthy, happy, free of pain, full of life. I hope that this knowledge and the memories will heal your grief, and Teddy's. Memories are such a great thing.

Take care - and I hope that in time you can come and visit us all here in LL. Thank you for sharing Bear Man with us. He will be so missed.

6. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

((((((((Linda and Bearman))))))))) thank you for sharing this last condo with us means so much to see him and for sharing how you found him I just do not understand how people abandon cats but they do kinda like my Ladybug from the woods who recently came to us she had to have been a pet and where we live I guess people think a forest is a good place to leave them so sad our family is thinking of you and Teddy today (((((HUGS)))))

7. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

{{{{{{{Linda}}}}}}} Thank you so very much for sharing his final moments with us. I, too, will miss him terribly. He's now playing happily with our late Precious, and all the other kitties who have passed on through the years.

8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Since the New Moon Party, I have been in tears. I've also been thinking about how it is that my heart breaks for the beans and kitties I've never met, yet still "know." The connection that this community forges is remarkable.

For me, Bear was special. Knowing that he was blind and abandoned makes him even more special. That I had the privilege to make a small contribution to your on going effort to keep him healthy, allowed me to feel even more connected to your beautiful boy. I also think you embody the best of LL -- it's all about the cats. Even at the last, your decisions have been about what would be best for Bear (and Teddy, Miss Emily, and Pinkerton) even though that decision means that Bear has left us all to join those of our beloved kitties who waited for him at the Bridge. You and Bear are my heroes.

I will miss your updates but I hope you will continue to be a part of this community. I love Bear and will remember him and so many of the other, very special LL kitties who are with him at the Bridge.

9. mybuddybinks

mybuddybinks Well-Known Member

Linda, there are special angels for souls like bear...and you truly were his. now he is doing the same for you and your furbabies. i would love to see the light in his eyes when you are reunited and he actually SEES you and his family for the first time...

hearts full of gratitude for being able to share a small part of you and bear's truly incredible journey, and fervently hoping there is peace for you as we know there is for your heart-mate.

may your example live on inside all of us

celi & binks

10. Kathy&Powder

Kathy&Powder Member

Linda when I posted yesterday you were Bear Man's angel I didn't know his story but anyone who is so devoted to the welfare of their kitty is just that. He is looking down on you with the same devotion and love. wings_cat rb_icon

11. Miriam and Putty (GA)

Miriam and Putty (GA) Well-Known Member

I am so sad that our sweet Bear Man is no longer with us physically but his memories will live forever in our hearts.
    Linda you have always been so good with pictures and descriptions of Bear that I feel like I have met him in person. He was so special as you are to everyone in LL.

You always did what was best for Bear, always putting him first with all of your decisions.

I will miss the Bear updates. LL will not be the same without him but I hope you will still be a part of the LL community that you have become such a huge part of.

12. kryskat

kryskat Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for sharing Bear with us. And thank you so much for all the words of advice and comfort you gave us when Blue was having his surgery - you really helped us prepare and get through it all by sharing your experiences with us. We appreciate that more than you'll ever know.

I am going to miss looking for Bear Man's condo... But I'm so glad he had such a peaceful time during his last days here. That his journey to the bridge began at home with you, his angel on earth... Imagine the expression on his face as he sees all the beautiful colors, the butterflies and rainbows!

We're going to miss you guys! Please stop by and visit now and again...

I think Bear left a hole in a lot of hearts...

13. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Thank you Linda. Thank you for everything.

14. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Goodbye, Bear. I am honoured to have met you. Fly free.

Thank you for this condo, Linda. I wish you had never had to write it.

(((Linda, Teddy, Emily and Pinkerton)))

Jane

15. Natasha & Seamus

Natasha & Seamus Member

I totally agree with Sienne, how cats and beans we haven't "met" in RL touch us. My heart broke when I logged on and saw GA next to Bears name :cry: ((Linda)) try and have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember all the good times with that beautiful furball.

16. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Oh Linda))))),
    Through many tears I thank you for sharing this with us.
    I'm sure that everyone who has come to know Bear Man has an aching heart today.
    He was so special. So are you.

Thank you both ♥

17. Fleapunk

Fleapunk Member

(((((((Linda)))))))
    Every Saturday morning when I get up, I shoot Punk, update her ss and look for Bear Man's Caturday Report... and even though it made me cry, I was so happy to see one for him today. It is a beautiful Caturday Report, expressing your love and care for him. A comfortable and peaceful passing for Bear Man, exactly as it should be. I know there is not a dry eye in LL this week but some day when we think of Bear we will have smiles instead of tears. Please give Teddy, Miss Emily and Pinkerton extra hugs from me and let them know that their Bear Man is now in the happiest place on earth.....in our hearts.
    [​IMG]

18. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

(((((Linda)))) tears and many hugs
    Thank you for sharing BearMan's life with all of us.
    He will be dearly missed.

19. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

(((((((Linda))))))) I’m sad to read the last Bear Man Old Timer update…Thank you for sharing his life with us.

He left peacefully in your arms... Although that decision is so hard to make Bear Man is in a better place now… o:)

20. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Linda))) through tears I am writing this, I cannot believe how many tears I have shed for Bear Man. What a special kitty. Thanks so much for sharing his final moments with us. How special they were. I am so sorry for your loss. Hope you will find comfort in knowing he is at peace now. Take care of yourself and know you have many friends here and on facebook.

21. stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA)

stephanie & Ti-Mi (GA) Member

Thank you for sharing your grief as you shared your story on the board with Bear Man through all those years. I don't know the word in english, you'll probably understand what "accompagner" means in french. Accompagner is in the same family that the word "compagnon" (in english companion I guess). Tu as accompagné Bear Man (You have been there for Bear Man) in so many ways and for so many years. Tu l'as accompagné (you were there for him) in good moments as well as the more difficult times. Even when it was time to let him go, tu l'as accompagné (you were there for him). You gave Bear Man the greatest gift... as a true companion ...with love, devotion and generosity.

22. Judith and Thomas

Judith and Thomas Member

More tears....your tribute to Bear Man is so touching. Thank you for sharing his last days with us. You were very strong to let him go in such a peaceful way...I know it was so hard to do so, but as you say, he deserved that peaceful dignity.

I will always remember Bear Man as such a brave warrior and your care of him was so poignant...not one thing he needed did you not give him. He was such a very special boy, and like others have said, through your sharing of pictures and stories about him, we all feel we 'knew' him. I certainly felt so.

His majestic presence shines though in all of your pictures of him. He was just a very special boy who will be very missed by all of us here, and of course by you and yours. I hope your heart fells less heavy as time goes on, and his memory will lift your heart in time...his beautiful spirit will be with you always.

(((Linda)))

23. Helene & Tizon

Helene & Tizon Well-Known Member

((((( Linda)))))
    Thank you for posting today.
    Fly free Bear mouse man, you are dearly missed.

24. Bo & Jake

Bo & Jake Well-Known Member

Thank You Linda for the last Oldtimer report. That's the first thing I read.
    Thank You for let us to know Bear and feeling that he was a part of our community!
    Fly sweet Bear,fly without hurt and pain! wings_cat wings_cat wings_cat

25. D and Noisy

D and Noisy Well-Known Member

You will be sorely missed.
    I always loved you special.
    Fly forever free sweet Bear.

26. Chris and Chloe

Chris and Chloe Member

(((Linda)))) I, too, am writing this with tears running down my face. What a beautiful condo you opened for Bearn Man today. Thank you for sharing his very peaceful last days. As another old timer, I haven't been posting on the board very often. But, whenever I did, I always looked for the Bear Man's condo. What a special bean you are, and what a special boy he was. He was loved and will be so missed by all of us.

Sending hugs and love to you and Teddy.

Fly free sweet Bear Man.

27. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Linda, I thank you from my heart for sharing your thoughts with us. All of us have to face this decision, and I will do better for remembering the goal you set for yourself and Bear -- to give him this gift at home, in comfort, with love, on a good day. So you have given a gift not only to Bear, but to so many other sweet kitties as well.

All life ends hard, but I don't think Bear could have had a better life than the one you gave him, the one he shared with you and your family. This is the meaning of blessing.

((((((((Linda & Bear Man))))))

28. Cyn and Cosmo

Cyn and Cosmo Member

Linda,
    I wish there were words to make the pain less acute, but there are none. He was a special special cat, and your relationship, the love you share... should everyone in the world be so lucky to experience it, we would prolly achieve world peace. I know how strong you had to be to make the decision and to follow through; i know the pain of having the last vestiges of hope fade away as the clock ticks. And, I know the grief, pain, and loneliness you are feeling now. Even though you have Teddy, nothing, no one, and no cat will fill the Bear shaped hole in your heart. But, maybe you and Teddy can comfort each other and share your sweetest memories of Bear. He'd want that.

Fly free Bear. We all love you. I hope you can eat to your heart's content now, whatever and whenever you want. I hope that you can now see all the slow, fat mice, low flying butterflies, and fields of cat nip...

(((((Linda))))))

29. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Linda

In memory of your most beautiful and dignified Bear. It is so evident that his quality of life and his happiness was always the priority for you. What a lucky, lucky boy he was the day you found him in the shelter. We send comfort vines to Teddy, too....it will be so hard for him without his Bear Man. You are an inspiration as one who has completely known the amazing soul and spirit of your companion.

30. dd & savannah

dd & savannah Member

Tears are just streaming down my face... I'm so sorry to hear about Bear Man. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Fly away sweet Bear Man, you will be dearly missed!

31. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

(((((BIG HUGS to LInda and Teddy, Emily and Pinkerton)))))

I am so sorry, and my heart is hurting for our loss of Bear Man, and my heart goes out to you Linda, and to Teddy, too.
    You always went above and beyond in your care for Bear, and I know he was able to enjoy many extra years because of your love and devotion to him. I am glad that he got to pass in your loving arms, at home, and when he wasn't in pain.

So many tears being shed, in this wet LLand this weekend.
    I lit a candle for him all night last night, and sent a candle

I couldn't find the link to the first post, so I went searching for it. Your first posts on FDMB that I could find: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1218363 08/12/08 Health
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... ?8,1240963 08/26/08 Health
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... 22,1241472 08/26/08 Lantus
    I just thought it was appropriate to have a link to your first condo posted in your last condo.

Oh, Linda. I will miss you. I hope that you will come back to visit us, sometimes. (((Big Hugs, to The Best Mommy)))

32. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Linda, your condo today was so beautiful.

In his quiet way he gave you his sign that he
    wanted to begin his new journey very peacefully.

You gave that gift to him in your kind and gracious way.

33. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

(((((((((Linda)))))))))))) I know how much you must be hurting. It sounds like you did everything just right for Bear Man, as you always have. His last days sound exactly how I would want mine to be. Please stay in touch. We love you just as much as we love Bear, and LL would not be the same without you.

34. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thanks for finding those, Dyana. I especially like the Health one where I call Sharyn "Fiona" for the first of many times, and the Lantus one where I get my first wet noodle from Jojo.

Cheryl also posted this one: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/r ... sg-1245701

35. arniesdad

arniesdad Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear this Linda but you did the right thing! Fly Free Sweet Bear Man!! wings_cat

36. Patricia&Brownie

Patricia&Brownie Member

(((((Linda and Teddy))))) I just logged on today after a long absense and saw your post about Bear Man. I am so sorry to hear that he is gone, but you did the very best you could for him and in D's words, you "built him a beautiful bridge" to the next world. He was so incredibly lucky to have you as his guardian and protector and I am sure that he knew how deeply you loved him. I always loved the video you posted of him in your garden - he had such a sweet little voice (to match his sweet soul). As the guardian of another oldtimer (Brownie at 19), I will miss your presence here in LL, but I hope you'll visit frequently. Bear touched so many lives here and I am sure that he is in good and gentle hands now. Godspeed, Bear Man. You will always be in our hearts...

37. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Linda, I was just popping into LL for a few minutes and saw your caturday report for Bear Man. I knew that I would cry as soon as I started reading and I did. Your tribute to Bear man was beautiful and I thank you so very much for sharing. Bear Man will always be a part or our lives and we will never forget him.
    You know that we all are grieving along with you and we all have that bear sized hole in our hearts too.
    (((Linda, Teddy, Emily, & Pinkerton, too))))

38. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you, Linda, for sharing Bear Man with us and for giving him a peaceful and loving passing in his home, surrounded by those he loved and who love him. Treasure your wonderful memories of your Bear. Our thoughts are with you and your fur family, especially Teddy. Bear Man is watching over him and you. Bear will always be with you.

In deepest sympathy,
    Ella & Edward

39. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

What a wonderful Last Old Timer condo for Bear Man, the magnificent. Thank you for sharing with us today Linda. His presence will always be around LL.

40. Deb and Pippin

Deb and Pippin Member

The end of an era.
    I am so sad for you, I have no words but I hope you feel what is in my heart.

[​IMG]

41. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I'm really going to miss the beautiful postings of your majestic, regal Bear. I believe there is a bear-sized hole in my heart as well. ((( Linda, Teddy, Emily, and Pinkerton ))) You are a very special care-giver, Linda, chosen to be their bean, and our friend.

42. Laura and Oreo

Laura and Oreo Member

Bear Man - always in our heart, (((Linda)))

43. Randi & Max (GA)

Randi & Max (GA) Well-Known Member

((Linda))
    Thank you for taking the time and for sharing this past week with us.
    I cannot imagine how painful this has been and I also have a big Bear Man sized
    hole in my heart.
    One of my first thoughts this morning was about a Caturday report for Bear Man
    and I just wanted this day to pass, without checking.
    However, I just prayed a little so I came over to check.
    Tears came to my eyes, again to see that beautiful face of his.

Hugs to all of you.
    Bear Man, you are missed by us all.

44. chriscleo

chriscleo Well-Known Member

Cleo and I are both sitting here in front of the computer, she is purring hard in my arms, and we are thinking of you, Bear & Teddy. Can't say much -- too emotional -- but I went thru the archives and found your first post. Here it is: http://www.felinediabetes.com/phorum5/read.php?8,799099

Love,
    Chris & Baby Cleo

45. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Thank you Linda. You have been an inspiration to me and I can't imagine how you must feel.
    The sun was shinning so bright and it was beautiful and warm, I thought of bear while sitting ouside feeling the sun on my face.

46. Jen and Oreo (GA)

Jen and Oreo (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry to bump up a condo from Saturday, but was without intertubes all weekend. Linda, I just want to say thank you for sharing Bear Man with us. I always loved his pictures, he always looked so dignified in them.

(((hugs))) to you and scritches to Teddy, Emily and Pinkerton.

Please stop by whenever you'd like :smile:

47. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Sorry for the delay Linda I've been thinking of you.

(((Linda)))

I'm so sorry to read that your boy has gone to the bridge.
    I know nothing can make you feel better, but I hope you know that you did everything you could to give him a longer and good quality of life. I loved your teddy stories and the creative ways you treated Bear.

I hope your happy at the rainbow (((Bear))) rb_icon

Tears always fall for our furballs

48. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry for your loss .. I know you're heart is aching right now ... but the way you let Bear Man go with dignity and respect is something that we all admire ... You are a great mommabean ....

49. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Linda)))) I am so sorry for your loss.....you and Bear have been an inspiration to me. You both gracefully handled every hurdle put in front of you. I am crying with you. Thank you for posting ....and thank you for all your help and support over the years.

Fly free Bear, you will be missed.

50. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

I couldn't bring myself to read this thread till today. I first saw the subject - the last Old Timer condo - on Saturday, and I started crying again. And I'm again in tears as I write.

(((Linda))) May that Bear-sized hole in your heart be filled in time with wonderful memories of him, and may those memories bring you and Teddy comfort and peace.

Farewell, gentle Bear, till we meet in another realm.

51. Linda and Crash (GA)

Linda and Crash (GA) Member

(((Linda and Teddy))) No words can express my sorrow for your loss. Hugs from Crash and love from me.

52. Donna and Flame

Donna and Flame Well-Known Member

Oh Linda, I am so sorry I am only seeing this now. Even though I am not here very often any more, I think of my Lantus Land family very often and I try to stop by, if only to read some condos and especially to check in on those "oldtimers" who were there for Flamie and I over 2 years ago.

My heart broke today when I saw this post, but I couldn't write at work because I already had tears streaming down my cheeks.

I have learned so much from you Linda about what true devotion looks like. There was nothing that Bear Man needed or wanted that you did not provide. You and he had a bond and a respect that is beyond words, something that can only be felt, but not adequately described. Every moment of his life with you, even until his final breath, was filled with that love and devotion and respect. He passed from this world to the next in the arms that loved and cherished him and he took that love with him, of that I am sure. He was such a special, gentle, beautiful soul and I feel blessed for the opportunity to have gotten to "know" both he and you... if only from afar.

Bear Man, you are free now from the body that was failing you. I hope that you have found a patch of sun to bask in and a bed of flowers to sniff. Your time here has enriched us all and you will never be forgotten. You have left your footprints on all of our hearts.

I pray for comfort for your heart Linda and for all of those who knew and loved this special Bear Man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.