1/15 Webber PMPS [299] +2 [279]

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by paige, Jan 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Good morning. Last night PM shot I am afriad might have gone into the muscle because he felt it. Would the insulin still work as well (if at all) going into the muscle vs. sub-q? This AMPS BG is like before we started the 0.75U. Hmm... confused_cat

Yesterday's Condo: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2547

2. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Re: 1/15 Webber AMPS [373] Question

Are you tenting the skin?? All you need to do is pull up on the skin-off the muscle. but ..Paige, Moonie squeels lots of the time I shoot her & I know it's just a pinch--I dont think I ever hit muscle--sometimes the skin is harder & you can feel needle going in right?
    You need to watch the videos of how to shoot again..I just had to review the photo of what 1U looks like in the syringe this morning, even though I am here a long time..You will know if the shot was good, when you do a +1 or +2--OK? It was probably alright, but the numbers will show..You are doing very well.

3. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I'm pretty sure the insulin wouldn't work if shot into muscle but....what does it matter? You can't reshoot...what's done is done. Move on and just make sure to get a good "tent" next time. :thumbup

As for the numbers, you will go crazy :dizcat trying to figure out if or when a shot is going to work...it takes time to fill the shed and then there are other variables like food, exercise, health issues, poops, throw-up, full moon, you name it. AND a lot of times, the BG goes up on a new dose before it starts to go down. And that' s why we call this "the sugar dance"! dancing_cat

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Roni and Brenda. Last night was different. My DH was happened to be holding him when I was giving the shot, so the "tent" might not have been good. He never feel the shots but last night was not happy and squealed, which is why I thought that is was a bad shot. Then I started thinking and was curious if the insulin would work if/when that happens.......perhaps this morning BG was a result of a bad shot or just his "sugar dance" ;-)

I will be able to check +1 and +2 this weekend....

Thanks again

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Re: 1/15 Webber AMPS [373]

I always tent the skin & shoot. When I gave Baby's 1st few injections in the Scruff she never seemed to notice, but now I give them on the side of her chest & she sees the needle & "squeaks" so I know she feels it.. but I know that I stay away from the muscle, so maybe Webber just felt it, no muscle involved ;-)
    I wish I had a DH to help me!! :mrgreen:

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Re: 1/15 Webber AMPS [373] PMPS [299]

Just to be sure I got a good tent this evening I shot the scruff. I rotate each flank most days. I am going to try and get a +2 tonight, if I can stay awake. lol

7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I shoot in the scruff. Gabby has her head in the food bowl and it's an easy place to shoot and gives me good control over her body. I don't think it would be as easy to control her shooting in other locations.

Don't expect that Webber's numbers will go down a bit every day. Some days, it may feel like you've taken a few steps forward and some days, a few steps back. BG levels fluctuate. The important issue is over the long haul, you want to see the numbers trending down.

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Sienne,

So you are able to get good results shooting in the scruff? This is good to know. From all I had read, I was led to believe that the blood supply is not as good in the scruff. But you are right, it is hard sometimes to get him to stay still for the flank shot. If he is eating when I shoot he just keeps moving away from me, lol.

I do see an overall trend down....a little at a time. I know I am a newbie and just want things to happen so fast, but as they say....a watched pot never boils. Right?

Thank you for reminding me; I seem to lose focus sometimes. :D

9. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

((((Paige & Webber)))))
    I am sorry to hear you got sad the other night :cry:
    I feel your frusturation girlfriend.. Baby is surfing the #s we got before insulin.. so all this seems for nothing.. BUT we have to remind ourselves... we are doing all we can do & we will get better #s... it is a committment & not immediate results.. xoxoxoxo :YMHUG:

10. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

i'm another scruff shooter... and there are MANY of us! i did try flank shots with alex. i gave up because i value my hands.

as far as an IM shot... the insulin would take effect faster than a subq shot.

edited to add: as soon as you can get some nadir checks we'll know if the dose should be adjusted...

11. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Jill - would the nadir checks be around +9 or do I need some +6 too? Let me know so can try to get that this weekend. Thank you bunches, ni ni.

Edited to add - I think I got it! I need some mid-cycle checks :mrgreen:

12. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Hi Paige! Yes, perhaps the chocokitties prefer the scruff shot. I shot Moses in the scruff while he was eating, and he would back up and act scared. Now, right after I test him, I give him a treat and set him in my lap while he's munching. I give him a good rub down and tug on that scruff and while his motor starts running, I just quickly grab and jab.

He barely notices anymore. It's nothing like it was over the food bowl where he was frightened.

It scares me when I feel like I'm hurting him. But we're both in this to help our kitties, to make them feel better. And that's comforting to remind myself cat_pet_icon

13. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you Erica. I agree that the scruff shot is A LOT easier on us both, lol.

Hope to see Moses continuing to do better. Good night :mrgreen:

14. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

yep... get some mid-cycle spot checks.
    ni-ni!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.